Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default What kind of mallets?

Im thinking about investing some money in mallets. What do you guys use?

Im trying to break from Vic Firth, promark, and such.

What about putmans?

2. Registered User

Putnams are really high quality mallets, but they're not for every playing situation. What instrument do you want to use them on? What is your playing situation?

3. Marching / Concert Educator

The go-to marimba mallet for me is the Innovative Percussion IP240. Works for just about everything.
    Chantilly High School Percussion
    Broad Run High School Percussion
    Freedom High School Percussion

4. Ignore me!

Malletech for marimba. Malletech Orchestral series or Innovative Percussion James Ross series for bells, xylophone, etc.

Putnam's are graduated sets for 4 mallet playing. They are great for what they are for, which is solo marimba music. Dont be afraid to mix and match different brands/weights/hardness to achieve the sounds you require.

For Timpani, Black Swamp David Gross, Vic Firth Tim Genis or Grover Artist choice bamboo series.
    "I don't give advice. Professionals don't need it and amatuers won't listen." - Vida Chenoweth

5. Drum Ninja

For marimba I love the William Moersch from Innovative. Depending on the piece and number of mallets I'm using, I'll use a graduated set. Timpani, I use VF pretty exclusively but I've been known to pick up a set or two of clevelander bamboo handles. Vibes, I use VF Terry Gibb or Victor Mendoza. Chimes, I have these black no-name mallets I got from weiss that have a leather patch on one end. Saw the BSO using them and figured they were good enough for me. Bass drum, I only use Gauger mallets. I've got a general, a set of rollers, and a dbl sided set that is wood/chamois. Snare, I mainly use Cooperman Graham C. Johns in persimmion and rosewood, but I keep about 20 differant pairs in my snare bag just to cover anything that might come up. Triangle, I'm completely sold on the Black Swamp Spectrum beaters. I've also got a set of Pearl brass for a heavier sound. As for xylo, glock, sus. cym, etc..., I just use whatever I find lying around the rehearsal hall. That pretty much covers it for mallets unless you really want me to give an in-depth look at my woodblock mallets. (sorry, I know this post was a bit much but I'm really bored)
    RBH Monarch Drums in Merlot Sparkle
    RBH Westwood Drums in Green Sparkle

6. Registered User

If you're someone who's just starting out, or on a tight budget, I highly recommend the Smith Mallets ebay store (google it). They make some really quality stuff for incredible prices.

7. Rogue Ex-Mod

Ok, here we go... you asked for it...
    Marimba: Innovative William Moersch Series, Encore Nancy Zeltsman Series or Mike Balter Chorale Series (these are my new favorites)

Vibes: Mike Balter 23R or anything from his Super Vibe Series

Xylo: Malletech Becker BB34 or anything by Tom Freer

Glock: Anything by Tom Freer (K series) or Innovative James Ross Series

Timpani: Duff 1's and 3's, Chronos T3L and T4C and anything by Tom Freer (if you want something less expensive go with Clevelander)

Woodblock: Vaughncraft (any model)

Gong: Balter GM1

Bass Drum: Vic Firth Tom Gauger Series or anything by Tom Freer

Chimes: Balter CM2

8. Practice

Marimba: Vic Firth Robert Van Sice and Innovative IP
    Xylo and bells: Innovative James Ross
    Timpani: Vic Firth, Vic Firth Tim Genis, Black Swamp David Grossman, and I plan to get som Cloyd Duff's soon
    Vibes: Musser Good Vibes are what we have at school but I'll get some Firth M25s soon.
    Augustana College student.

"Jazz is not dead it just smells funny"-Frank Zappa

9. yo.

Everyone will have their favorites, but in my opinion, the best thing you can do is go try out mallets. If there is a college near you, go see what all the professor has.

Mallets are made differently to produce different sounds. Mark For'ds line from IP produces a very legato tone due to the stitching and material used, while the soloist series have much more fundamental attack.

If you starting out from nothing, i would recommend IP 240s or 275s, but then just experiemtn and find out what works for your style/neccessities.
    Fame often means others will treat you like a king. The truly Great will treat everyone they meet like royalty.

Clicky.

10. Registered User

i like either the moresch or soloist series from Innovative Percussion. moresch's is something I'd use for concerts, tryouts, things like that. Soloists are great, I like them for lessons or practicing, I played a piece at state last year with them, they have a nice attack.

11. Registered User

I agree with a lot of the posts above. I think the best way to shop for mallets is to try out a variety. I like the idea of going to a local college or high school to see what mallets they use. I also think it is important to practice with several different types of mallets, but to also practice the way you intend to perform...Thus, not switching mallets the day of the performance.

Some of the biggest factors to me is the weight distribution of the mallet, the hardness of the ball/head, and the material used for the shaft...

In my mallet bag:
    Marimba: 2 pair birch Encore NZ3, 1 pair birch NZ2, 2 pair birch NZ4
    Vibes: 2 pair rattan Balter 123R, 1 pair rattan 122R, 1 pair rattan 124R
    Xylo/Bell: I'd love to have some Freer stuff...I have hard rubber, yet to decide whether I prefer the disc shape or the round...1 pair of Lexan, and oval brass (I tend to stick with Innovative or Balter.)
    Timp: Clevelander, Duff, or Vic Firth, general, staccato, and legato
    Snare: Vic TG15, I'm a sucker for round or barrel wood tips
    Bass: Gauger mallets are nice, if you like lightweight...I'm really stoked for Freer's to come back
    Chime: pair of rawhides and CM2's
    Gong: Balter GM1 or Sabian's
    Triangle beaters: Grover tubular or Black Swamp spectrum

There in lies my two cents.
    Last edited by bzizzle; 07-16-2008 at 10:25 AM.

12. Rogue Ex-Mod

That's a pretty expensive mallet bag!!! Nice choices...