Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Rogue Ex-Mod

[QUOTE=drummaman1]A good set of timpani is going to cost about $1000 for two drums. I'm a hammered copper bowl fan myself.

Where do you buy your timpani??? The Adams Hammered Copper timpani cost about $5,000 for a set of two. The Ludwig Pro Hammered Copper are about $4,500 for a set of 2. If you know where to get hammered copper timp for $1,000 let us know!!!

Finally, if you have trouble with loading a 22 or 24 bass drum, GOOD LUCK with loading a 26 and/or 29 timpani!!!! The cases only cover the top, and though they go over the drum a little bit, there are no full cover cases for timpani...

Well, there are full cover cases for Adams Universal Timpani. UN20-UN32. Of course, then you have to use Universal Timpani.

2. Pearl/Adams Sr. Marketing Mgr

Touring orchestras do move timpani - but usually its a "B" or second set if at all possible so the normal set for the hall, and therefore the sound of the orchestra, isn't destroyed. If timps are on tour, the standard case is in fact an ATA Road case - full coverage in padded plywood with a ramp and if at all possible a shock mount floor. This is an investment in itself ranging from at least $750 - $1500 per case !!! But , if you are hauling a $56K set of Adams Classic Dresden with $4000 worth of calf heads around... maybe not too much after all.

Timpani have been used on drumsets nearly since drumsets began in the early 1900's with the other "traps" a stage drummer needed to cover the orchestration and novelty demands of the day. It's not hard to see why this even got started, because the sound of timpani drums have been fascinating composers and drummers since the 1700's.

In a more current rock situation, I had the pleasure last summer of catching "The Police" on tour in Chicago and couldn't help noticing the Adams Professional Timpani Stewart Copeland was using on his set - used extensively in "Walking in Your Footsteps" and other tunes. Of Course, Mr. Copeland had the 4 most important things that make playing timpani with your drumset in a rock band a little easier: 1) a big drum riser 2) a great sound system 3) a great crew and tech to set 'em up and tear 'em down and 4) a semi-trailer to get 'em to the next gig...
    Shawn Lafrenz
    Pearl Corporation Education Division
    Senior Marketing Manager
    Concert / Adams Product Manager

3. Rogue Ex-Mod

^Yeah, I can't imagine using timpani with my kit on a regular basis. I would want a crew to haul them around for me!!!

4. Oh Deerz...

Timpani are extremely expensive. even for low class drums. My parents offered to buy me a set of 2 until they saw the price.

5. Drum Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by drummaman1
    A good set of timpani is going to cost about $1000 for two drums. I'm a hammered copper bowl fan myself.

Yes, heads for timpani are expensive. But, it works out for the amount of time a head is actually on the timpani (1-2 years should be the norm; most schools though??? They won't change the heads unless they're broken or welted, and even if they're welted, if they still sound ok they'll keep them on !!!!)

Finally, if you have trouble with loading a 22 or 24 bass drum, GOOD LUCK with loading a 26 and/or 29 timpani!!!! The cases only cover the top, and though they go over the drum a little bit, there are no full cover cases for timpani...

...watch me eat my words...

Anyway, even though timpani have casters, they are not meant to move around a lot, i.e. touring. It's not to say you can't do it, as many touring orchestras do (there are touring orchestras, right??), but timpani are best not moved around too much.

So, after all that, and the cargo van that you will have to buy to cart them in, you can have timpani!!!
    Sorry drummaman, start eating. www.classiccases.net made our timpani cases. They are completely enclosed and shock mounted. They were expensive as crap but well worth it. They also made a custom mixer box I designed that holds effects, wireless mics, amps, accessories and everything else. They're also working on a road case to hold our concert band backline. Another one I personally designed.
    RBH Monarch Drums in Merlot Sparkle
    RBH Westwood Drums in Green Sparkle

6. Brick Tamland

Quote Originally Posted by adzbro
    thread starter.

get better cymbals first. please
    Oh heck yeah. MalletKat and Timpini would be some of my last purchases.

I'm starting to up grade my cymbals now. Saving for the Black Friday sale in hopes to pick up an AA RBDR, and hopefully a crash or too. (I can't get the hi-hats I want at my GC. Going for a pair of Saludas).
    I love when my cymbals talk dirty to me.
    Tama Swingstar
    My Ocean Sparkle Kit
    My Ebay
    Currently After: 8x7, 16x13, & 20x18 MMX Ocean Sparkle w/ Satin Hardware - Please PM if you found some!!

7. Rogue Ex-Mod

I love how even in the "Concert" section, the discussion is still focused on drumset!!! Oh well, what can you do???

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by drummaman1
    Anyway, even though timpani have casters, they are not meant to move around a lot, i.e. touring. It's not to say you can't do it, as many touring orchestras do (there are touring orchestras, right??), but timpani are best not moved around too much.

So, after all that, and the cargo van that you will have to buy to cart them in, you can have timpani!!!
    hop into the world or drum corp or marching band, those timpani sure do move, and very often

9. tired person

...the singular form of timpani is timpano...2 timpani, 1 timpano

not that it has any relevance...but just sayin...basic italian...
    Ummm...not...pidgeons....

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THSdrummer
    I would really love to get a 23" maybe a 26" as well along with a marimba and malletKat. You would have so many more optitions with this. I know I've seen a drumset with 1 maybe 2 timpani, but I can't remember which forum or group I saw it on .
    john bonham had two or ?three? timpanies

11. Rogue Ex-Mod

I believe he used 2 timpani in his set up. Usually a 29" and a 32" Ludwig.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

12. Registered User

I own a pair of timpani but I'd never use them on my set