Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Brick Tamland

Default How many of you HAVE a timpani in your drumset?

I would really love to get a 23" maybe a 26" as well along with a marimba and malletKat. You would have so many more optitions with this. I know I've seen a drumset with 1 maybe 2 timpani, but I can't remember which forum or group I saw it on .
    I love when my cymbals talk dirty to me.
    Tama Swingstar
    My Ocean Sparkle Kit
    My Ebay
    Currently After: 8x7, 16x13, & 20x18 MMX Ocean Sparkle w/ Satin Hardware - Please PM if you found some!!

2. Drum Ninja

Matt Sorum used to have a timpani in his setup. Check out his stuff from when he first joined GnR.
    RBH Monarch Drums in Merlot Sparkle
    RBH Westwood Drums in Green Sparkle

3. Registered User

he used it in mr. brownstone intro

4. Registered User

Mr. John Bonham used two on his left side.

5. Registered User

i wish i had timpani

im gonna miss those when im off at college

6. I <3 Ludwigs.

the church I work for traded two old WFL timpani to a music store for some crappy Premier snare drum. Nothing agaist Premier, it was just a $150 drum...
    I wanted to strangle the asst. music minister! Don't be hitting the timp heads with regular wooden sticks though! Those things are expensive!

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by erwinner
    the church I work for traded two old WFL timpani to a music store for some crappy Premier snare drum. Nothing agaist Premier, it was just a $150 drum...
    I wanted to strangle the asst. music minister! Don't be hitting the timp heads with regular wooden sticks though! Those things are expensive!
    Hahaha, some pieces require you to use the butts of the sticks.

8. I <3 Ludwigs.

not a lot! You'd dent the hell out of those heads and they're, what, $70 each!?!

9. Registered Bruiser

thread starter.

get better cymbals first. please

10. Deputy Grand Poobah

A good set of timpani is going to cost about $1000 for two drums. I'm a hammered copper bowl fan myself.

Yes, heads for timpani are expensive. But, it works out for the amount of time a head is actually on the timpani (1-2 years should be the norm; most schools though??? They won't change the heads unless they're broken or welted, and even if they're welted, if they still sound ok they'll keep them on !!!!)

Finally, if you have trouble with loading a 22 or 24 bass drum, GOOD LUCK with loading a 26 and/or 29 timpani!!!! The cases only cover the top, and though they go over the drum a little bit, there are no full cover cases for timpani...

...watch me eat my words...

Anyway, even though timpani have casters, they are not meant to move around a lot, i.e. touring. It's not to say you can't do it, as many touring orchestras do (there are touring orchestras, right??), but timpani are best not moved around too much.

So, after all that, and the cargo van that you will have to buy to cart them in, you can have timpani!!!

11. Rogue Ex-Mod

When I did a Led Zeppelin show in college I used a 26" and 29" (Ludwig of course, it's Bonham) off to my left side. I used them in the "Moby ****" solo and in "The Rain Song". It was freakin' sweet.

12. Rogue Ex-Mod

^Dude seriously? I can't say Moby D I C K??? Seriously??? What kind of drummer's forum is this???