Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default proper way to seat your new heads?

How do you guys seat your new heads when you go to tune them?

do you tighten as far as you can go all the way around, then loosen all the way, and THEN begin the tuning process?
    Quote Originally Posted by drummaman1
    I wouldn't worry too much about PERFECT tuning. Work on making "PERFECT" music.
    Looking for singer / bassist for rock / metal band in Minneapolis, pm if interested

2. I just hit things.

Crank em up, then just push down in the middle of the head, and go around the bearing edges of the drum pushing down on it. That usually does it for meeee
    Pearl MCX | Mapex Black Panther | Sabian | ICON | Eliminators |

Currently drumming for:
    Tristan McIntosh (Country: American Idol Finalist)

3. Anything Goes

Seating is an antiquated process. It was required for real skin heads, but with modern technology, polyester films and glue channel collars it isn't needed. Bob Gatzen, who is without a doubt the most educated person in the industry, is against seating a drumhead. Aquarian is against seating their products, it can ruin them.

I haven't seated a head in years. I have zero problems at all. I tune them to the pitch I want, do the CPR method, tune them back up, play a bit and I'm good to go. They are just like a guitar string. You tune, stretch them, tune them back up and repeat.

Seating only prematurely stretches heads, which isn't good, especially if you don't have the tone at each lug point the exact same. This means you are stretching the head in and uneven fashion. When you back off the tension, it will never go in tune properly.
    Headhunters Sticks and Creations Artist

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PureRockFury
    Seating is an antiquated process. It was required for real skin heads, but with modern technology, polyester films and glue channel collars it isn't needed. Bob Gatzen, who is without a doubt the most educated person in the industry, is against seating a drumhead. Aquarian is against seating their products, it can ruin them.

I haven't seated a head in years. I have zero problems at all. I tune them to the pitch I want, do the CPR method, tune them back up, play a bit and I'm good to go. They are just like a guitar string. You tune, stretch them, tune them back up and repeat.

Seating only prematurely stretches heads, which isn't good, especially if you don't have the tone at each lug point the exact same. This means you are stretching the head in and uneven fashion. When you back off the tension, it will never go in tune properly.
    right on....thanks for the info dude!! I was kinda sketchy on if i was going to seat them or not, i just bought some clear pinstripes for my toms and i didn't seat them, they sound okay, it was my first stab at tuning my kit so i'm going to have to take another stab at it today.
    Looking for singer / bassist for rock / metal band in Minneapolis, pm if interested

5. Anything Goes

Quote Originally Posted by boarder_4203
    right on....thanks for the info dude!! I was kinda sketchy on if i was going to seat them or not, i just bought some clear pinstripes for my toms and i didn't seat them, they sound okay, it was my first stab at tuning my kit so i'm going to have to take another stab at it today.
    Another 20 people will come in here with an opinion different from mine, which is totally ok, but try what works best for you. You already know my opinion on it and my suggestions. Try what others say too. Experimentation is key in drums!

6. Registered User

Another 20 people will come in here with an opinion different from mine, which is totally ok, but try what works best for you. You already know my opinion on it and my suggestions. Try what others say too. Experimentation is key in drums!
    very good point, and thank you for your opinions & suggestions. I just don't want to seat them and screw up my heads then have to go buy new ones again, ya know.

Here's a question...since i already tuned them & played on them for a few hours, would it then be necessary to take them all the way out, then seat them??

or would that be too much stretching of the head?

7. Anything Goes

If you already have already tuned and played on them and are happy with the results. Just leave em.

8. peace & love

Exactly right. I've never seated a head. Hell, I usually don't even do the CPR method. I just play the head and retune in like 24 hours or so.

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Coheed
    Exactly right. I've never seated a head. Hell, I usually don't even do the CPR method. I just play the head and retune in like 24 hours or so.

whats this CPR method i keep hearing of...?

10. Anything Goes

Quote Originally Posted by boarder_4203
    whats this CPR method i keep hearing of...?
    When you tune up to the desired pitch, place your palm in the center of the head, and push down (NOT BRUTALLY HARD) like you are giving the drum CPR. The head will drop down in pitch no doubt, tune back up and enjoy. This is the same as stretching the strings on a guitar.

I guess you could call that a type of seating if you want to argue semantics.

11. Loyal to Quality not Company!

Interesting you mention Bob Gatzen...I have his tuning DVD and in it he talks about methods for seating the head. The two he gives are using a blow dryer and using the palm on the middle of the head.

With that said I agree with you and use the same technique, just put them on then tune them up, give them a good push with your palm and tune them back to that desired pitch (which according to Bob is a method in seating).

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwiggy
    I have a heart for all people deficient and I think we ALL have a purpose in life, but clearly Mr. Terryballs over here has shown us what true empty significance is like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Thundur 06
    I'm sure he'll rot in hell where they will play nothing but Norwegian black metal at 300bpm

12. Vintage 1968

If you already have already tuned and played on them and are happy with the results. Just leave em.
    That says it all right there.
    Random obscure cool group from my youth: