Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Cymbal Technique?

so ive seen alot on this forum along the likes of "oh, youve cracked your cymbal due to bad technique"
    now im a newbie, so could you guys explain in great detail how are you supposed to hit cymbals not to crack them? what good cymbal technique?
    *insert witty signature here*

2. It is what it is

instead of striking the cymbal straight on, swipe the stick across the cymbal in a left-right or right-left manner, glancing blow.

3. Keep it Simple, Keep it Classy

one thing i can tell you is that your cymbals are as important as your drums. Theyre meant to be played, not hammered. Try using dynamics on them and see how much it takes for them to open up so you dont have to smash them to get a good sound.
    Follow your dreams before someone else takes them from you.

4. Registered User

First off it's important to use plastic sleeves and felts on your stands, so your cymbal has no metal-to-metal contact with the stand. Such friction causes the cymbal to "keyhole" and eventually crack. Also make sure the cymbal can move freely on the stand, so it can absord impact properly.

Ss for playing, make sure your position and the way your cymbals are positioned lets you hit them naturally. You can find a good position by closing your eyes, pretend to hit a cymbal in a way that is comfortable for you, and make a note of where your stick ends up. You shouldn't be reaching, or making any sort of awkward/unnatural movements with your arms, wrists and hands. For any cymbals you're going to crash, make sure they're at an angle where you can hit the edge, but also hit a good amount of the bow. If you hit the edge at an extreme angle, all the force of your hit will be concentrated on a very tiny portion of the cymbal's edge, which will weaken it and lead to cracking. Also, play across the cymbal, not through it. Make a sweeping motion from/to the side, instead of going straight into the cymbal. This will help distribute the impact of your strike more evenly over the surface of the cymbal, putting less stress on any single parts of it. It's the same reason why many drummer find they dent drumheads with sticks with round tips. Round tips cause all the energy to be focused on a tiny spot of the head, whereas an oval/teardrop/acorn etc... tip, because of their shape will have a larger part of the tip touching the heads, so the energy is distributed more evenly.

Another factor is the way you hold your stick. A tight, baseball bat grip will cause you to bury the stick into the cymbal, and will put more stress on it. A more relaxed grip will allow some rebound, which is a relief for your cymbals, as well as your hands and wrists! Your sticks vibrate just as much as your heads and cymbals, and these are conducted into the bones of your hands, which cause fatigue. A proper grip will let you play much longer and relaxed.

5. i pwn drumz?

Taken from http://www.pearldrum.com/education

"Proper Cymbal Playing Techniques

Give your cymbals "breathing room." Bolting down the wing nut restricts the sound and can cause damage to the cymbals. Replace worn plastic sleeves and felt washers on the cymbal posts to prevent damage to your cymbals.

Avoid extreme angles when positioning your cymbals. Extreme angles not only restricts the movement and diminishes the response of your cymbals, but also puts excess pressure on the bell (cup) and can damage your cymbals.

Avoid direct hits to the edge of the cymbal·this may result in damage, especially to thinner cymbals. Strike cymbals, especially splash, crash, and Chinese models, with quick glancing blows to obtain optimum sound response while minimizing the possibility of damage.

Hi-hats should be loose and slightly tilted. This eliminates air lock and keeps the sound crisp and consistent.

It's Your Kit: All of the above examples are for illustrative purposes. As you learn more about your drums, you'll find that there is no right or wrong way to do anything. What matters is what works best for you! Enjoy·"

hope that helps

6. Registered User

really? ive never really noticed plastic sleeves on stands before.
    also, ive never actually adjusted one before, but im wondering, how do you tip you hihats?

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by marvelboy04
    really? ive never really noticed plastic sleeves on stands before.
    also, ive never actually adjusted one before, but im wondering, how do you tip you hihats?
    There should be a little "screw" thing on the hihat stand just below the bottom hat. This lifts the bottom hat however high you want it.

8. i pwn drumz?

There is a little knob underneath the bottom hat that when turned pushes up through a thread and pushes one side of the bototm hihat bell up. Causing your bottom hat to be tilted so there is no airlock and a better sound.

You turn the thing circled in red...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

9. VW Sharan Driver

i find that i tend to take my strikes so my cymbals swing left and right more than if you hit them square on. i hit them like perpendicular to the closest point of the edge to me, but more to the right of left. it also means that i can take strikes to either side of the cymbal if there's 2 strikes and they're the timing where hitting it causes it to bury itself and swing madly. (if ya get what i mean)

also sticks DO make a difference. i played with my friend's ahead 5As and i could barely play my cynbals because i was burying them a smacking the hell out of them. i went back to my VF 7As and i was fine with technique.

heavier sticks mean that you have more power with less stroke, lighter sticks meant that you have less power. more power means that you will tend to hit them too hard more often that less power, but it's probably a matter of opinion.

and remember, crappy cymbals are designed to break. i played my ZHTs and they were all dinged and warped and cracked and i played As and they're fine after the same time.

i also changed my technique (really focussed on it), my grip (really focused on it as well), my sticks (from vater XD rocks to VF 7As (but that was more for comfort thatn anything else)) and my setup (i lowered them, sat a bit higher, and used proper sleeves instead of straws :P)
    all because i got a 17" A medium crash. i now got a 2006 sweet ride, and it's still perfect condition (second hand).

good idea here... take a look at the goodbye for now video (P.O.D.). there are some good shots of wuv hitting his crashes, try at about 1:44 that's a brilliant shot. also, look how light he's hitting the drums. that's what i do, i learned to just hit them soft, specially when i started the band.

i recommend using no bigger than 5As when you start, i would say don't use bigger than a 7A, but obviously people can.
    Dreadlock free since 2003

Amethyst Masters

10. VW Sharan Driver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXtwgVajTeY

watch that video at 1:44ish and there's a good shot of how to hit a cymbal.
    Dreadlock free since 2003

Amethyst Masters

11. Registered User

well, thanks for all the help. i should be getting my pearl exports tonight. (yes, ill try to post pics)

12. Charles.

Oh sounds cool!
    Free the JJ thread.