Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Ignore me!

Totally cool. People should also know that the Grover Live Help guys are awesome and totally willing to answer whatever weird questions one may have via live chat. So many student percussionists don't realize how important and totally necessary the ability to produce good sounds on accessory percussion instruments really is. Far too few people actually teach those techniques. Being able to play a consistent thumb roll or a slanted triangle roll is difficult and must be relentlessly practiced in order to actually be useful in a performance situation. Many people play the concert bass drum like it was a snare drum turned sideways and without any regard to sustain characteristics...hopefully over time those things will change as more young people are exposed to proper playing techniques.

OK, I know that somewhere out there somebody actually has one of those Buddy & Thein triangles...speak up!

2. Ignore me!

Well, dang. The Hammered Grover triangle I ordered actually turned out to not be in stock. So, I'm not getting that one. I did hit up the Grover live help chat this morning to check into any leads for another...and got to speak with THE Neil Grover. Very nice guy and some very interesting insights. The other retailer he recommended also didn't have one in stock, so they are trying to locate another triangle for me.

In another weird twist of events I was cleaning out a closet in the band hall yesterday, and came across an ugly, rusted and pitted 8" Ludwig triangle. It looks horrible, but sounds great. I have no idea how old this thing is. It looks like some kind of drill-rod that was bent into a triangle shape and then chrome plated. One of the legs of the triangle is simply stamped Ludwig in the 1950's style script lettering. Anyone here ever seen something like that?
    "I don't give advice. Professionals don't need it and amatuers won't listen." - Vida Chenoweth

3. Rogue Ex-Mod

Do you go to PASIC at all? That's really the best way to test these out. This last year (and I believe every year), Percussion Source had all the different sizes with hangers so you could try them all out. That's really the only way to know if they are right for you. I'm not sure if they will have them at any other shows...

4. Registered User

I don't want this to sound like an advertisement, so I'll be as objective as possible.

Yes, We bring ALL the Buddy & Thein triangles that happen to be in stock to PASIC. That is certainly the best place to hear all of these triangles side-by-side with other brands.

You really do need to hear these triangles for yourself. The Thein triangles certainly are not for everyone, nor for every application, but I'm confident that you'd have a hard time finding a player that owns one and regrets buying it.

Percussion Source has a 30-day return policy. You can order one risk free. If you don't like it, send it back. Or come to PASIC and hear all of them at once.

5. Ignore me!

PercSource. Thanks for your post. I was not aware that you had such a guarantee. PASIC will be literally right down the road for me in a few months (which is good, since I'll need to save up since I just payed out big bucks for Grover HSH triangles) I'll save up and see you there to listen to several at once. Tell me, what models are the most popular?
    "I don't give advice. Professionals don't need it and amatuers won't listen." - Vida Chenoweth

6. Registered User

The most popular Thein models are in this order (all 10mm diameter): 6", 4", 8", 9", 12".

The 6" triangle is the most versatile and sells about 2-to-1 over everything else. The 4" sounds surprisingly big! The 12" will blow your mind!

Our 30-day return policy exists especially because of instruments like this. It's difficult to buy a Thein triangle, a pair of hand cymbals, or a gong without hearing it first. Each one of these instruments is very unique because they are hand made. So we let you buy it, try it, and if you don't like it, return it for a full refund (less shipping).
    Marc Kray
    Managing Director
    Percussion Source
    www.percussionsource.com

7. Ignore me!

I did receive my Grover HSH 8" triangle today. I'll be using it in rehearsal tomorrow evening. It is thinner than my other triangles. Even though it is larger it is still higher pitched than my 6" Black Swamp. A mf stroke with a Black Swamp spectrum beater creates a lush sound full of overtones...and about 60 seconds worth of sustain. I still haven't found a 6" HSH model.