Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. All Mixed Up Creature Feature

Default Zildjian K China Boy year?

I just bought a used 19" Zildjian K China Boy cymbal. It's in great shape and looks new, but I know the specific "China Boy" models have been discontinued for a while. I was curious if anyone knows what years the K China Boy series were made and when they changed the name. I'm trying to get a rough idea of the age of the cymbal. Once I get home I can check the serial number and post that if it will help. Thanks!

2. Registered User

that would help, its the first two letters that give you the date.
    ID=1994
    IE=1995
    IF=1996
    IG=1997
    IH=1998
    JJ=1999
    JA=2000
    JB=2001

and so on.

3. Registered User

The USA K’s were introduced in 1982. I don’t recall if the K China Boys were introduced with the series debut, but they were definitely early 80’s.

As far as dating your cymbal, Zildjian dropped the “Boy” in 1996. If it doesn’t have the serial # of 1994-1996 supplied by Menalaus above, you can still approximate the date. If the Logos, model name and Trademarks can be read from the closest edge, then it was produced from 1982 (or early 80’s)-1987. Cymbals from this time frame will also have the K logo top and bottom. If logo, trademarks and model name face one direction with a Zildjian logo on the bottom, it was produced between 1987-1996.

4. Hail the Leaf

hm.. was the name China Boy considered a racial slur or something insensitive to people? I could think of a few cooler names for a cymbal than that

Yamaha Stage Custom birch, showoff thread

Pearl Export double bass 7 pc kit - 1998 through 2015, retired

5. All Mixed Up Creature Feature

Thanks for the info! I gave the cymbal a quick check last night and didn't see a serial number anywhere. I'm pretty sure one side has all the markings (Zildjian, K, China Boy) and the other side just says "Zildjian." When I get some time I'll post a picture and more thoroughly check for a worn serial number. At least I know the cymbal is at least 12 years old! But the condition is flawless. It looks brand new.
    I bought it for $180, but got the store owner to give me a $20 credit to the shop because I told him I felt that was too much after the fact. Is that a fair price? I didn't see many being sold online.

6. Registered User

they come up quite alot on ebay.co.uk, usually go for around £80 - £90, so about $180ish

7. Cymbalsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Bri6366
    The USA K’s were introduced in 1982. I don’t recall if the K China Boys were introduced with the series debut, but they were definitely early 80’s....
    The China Boy was available during the hand hammered, EAK (Early American K) period. Not sure if they were available right from the start in '82, but if not, it wasn't long before they were.

Here's a 17". She sounds incredible.

I have also always wondered how they got away with that name. Seems like a bad move that would have garnered them a lot of bad press.

Later,
    Matt

8. Registered User

The China Boy was available during the hand hammered, EAK (Early American K) period.
    “Hand Hammered” is misleading. From the Zildjian site:

Early US K's were hammered via a mechanical reciprocating hammer while a cymbal was hand fed into the hammer area and this was done while the cymbal was still a flat blank. After hammering, THEN it was shaped by a pressing die. In centuries past, hand hammering was done to shape a cymbal but that is no longer necessary. In the mid-ninties, computer generating hammers were then used to perfectly hammer all K's in a random manner. The velocity of this hammer was 4 times harder than what anyone could possibly do it by hand.

9. Cymbalsmith

Well, you can believe what Zildjian says now, or what they said at the time....

I believe that EAK's were hand hammered, not because of what I read, but due to the fact that I have owned many of them.

Later,
    Matt

10. All Mixed Up Creature Feature

Here are a couple pics of my china. All this hand-hammering talk made me notice that my cymbal doesn't seem to have any hammering marks. It looks completely lathed instead, with the finish of a brilliant A series. I also didn't notice any serial number markings, not even worn ones. It's possible the cymbal was cleaned at some point. The finish feels plasticy-smooth. Is there a certain time when the K's were all lathed and not hammered?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

11. Registered User

I believe that EAK's were hand hammered, not because of what I read, but due to the fact that I have owned many of them.
    Those old ads used marketing semantics for the process described above.

The K China is one of my favorite chinas. Great pics!!!
    Last edited by Bri6366; 05-09-2008 at 10:16 AM.

12. Registered User

I also didn't notice any serial number markings, not even worn ones. It's possible the cymbal was cleaned at some point. The finish feels plasticy-smooth. Is there a certain time when the K's were all lathed and not hammered?
    They were hammered. It is a brilliant finished K China made between 1987-1993. Great cymbal.
    Last edited by Bri6366; 05-09-2008 at 10:13 AM.