Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,692

    Default Pls help ID a Pearl Metal snare

    Hi

    Can anyone help with more info on this metal snare. (i.e. What vintage and what series/model) It has 10 lugs, is chrome over steel. Size is 14" x 6". Note I tried in the Vintage section of PDF, but no one seemed to know over there, so sorry for posting this twice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. Dylan

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,741

    Default

    it might be an old session

    what does the badge say?

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RLRR LRLL FLAM FLAM
    it might be an old session

    what does the badge say?
    Thanks, parapara-flamflam. The badge says

    Made in Taiwan
    Steel Shell

  4. Anything Goes

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Kingston, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,744

    Default

    Early on Pearl offered a student model steel snare and a professional steel model, before the SensiTone's.

    8 lug = student model - Forum, Export, etc...
    10 lug = standard run of the mill steel snare.
    Headhunters Sticks and Creations Artist

  5. Dylan

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,741

    Default

    nevermind...purerockfury is right

    yours is an older pearl steel student snare.

    if yors is anything like mine they dont sound half bad. i like it.

  6. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PureRockFury
    Early on Pearl offered a student model steel snare and a professional steel model, before the SensiTone's.

    8 lug = student model - Forum, Export, etc...
    10 lug = standard run of the mill steel snare.
    Thanks, PureRockFury. Can you elaborate, please. The one I have shown in the picture is a 10-lug. So what do you mean by 'standard run of the mill steel snare'.... Do you know what series it is? When you say 'early on', what sort of vintage are you refering to? e.g, I have some 60's Pearl gear, and this is not like that at all. Given the depth and the material, I thought it is more likely an 80's or later rock-style snare... Is that what you meant by "early on"? I am keen to find out more precise vintage; do you know?

    Based on the sound-wise, looks and feel (e.g. the strainer release mechanism, 10-lugs, etc) this does not give me the impression of a student model; again, I am interested if you can give any more info or specifics re model. (Unless, do you mean "student" as in concert or philharmonic student?)
    Last edited by lovetheblues; 05-03-2008 at 05:23 AM.

  7. Anything Goes

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Kingston, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovetheblues
    Thanks, PureRockFury. Can you elaborate, please. The one I have shown in the picture is a 10-lug. So what do you mean by 'standard run of the mill steel snare'.... Do you know what series it is? When you say 'early on', what sort of vintage are you refering to? e.g, I have some 60's Pearl gear, and this is not like that at all. Given the depth and the material, I thought it is more likely an 80's or later rock-style snare... Is that what you meant by "early on"? I am keen to find out more precise vintage; do you know?

    Based on the sound-wise, looks and feel (e.g. the strainer release mechanism, 10-lugs, etc) this does not give me the impression of a student model; again, I am interested if you can give any more info or specifics re model. (Unless, do you mean "student" as in concert or philharmonic student?)
    Well it isn't vintage. It really wasn't part of a series either. A student model usually has lower quality parts on it, less attention to detail, etc..

    This drum most likely has a 1.2mm steel shell. 2.3mm triple flanged hoops vs 1.6mm triple flanged hoops that you would find on a student model drum. High-tension long lugs.

    One of my local stores has this exact drum on the snare shelf. It's a nice snare. It isn't excessively ringy like some steel snares can be. It has a clean crisp tone to it.
    Headhunters Sticks and Creations Artist

  8. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PureRockFury
    Well it isn't vintage. It really wasn't part of a series either....
    Thanks for the info. Most helpful. Yes, I agree it is not "collectable". I did not mean "vintage" as in old or collectable like "vintage cars". More as in "round about what year it was made?", as in "what vintage is that wine?". Especially given your comment re "early on Pearl offered...".

  9. #38 Stainless Steel

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    Old thread, I know, but I just happened on it on Google. This is an S-6114D snare, I own the same one. Came with my 1994 Session Series (SX) set as the standard snare. 1mm chrome plated steel shell, 1.6mm rims, 10 RL-30 lugs, S-012 strainer, SN-022 snares. Fine piece of equipment. Nothing to write home about, but nothing to sneeze at, either.
    1982 Maxwin DLX705 in #55 Silver Flash
    1994 SX "Session Series" in #38 Stainless Steel
    1990 CZX "Custom Z" in #130 Champagne
    1991 SZX "CZX Studio" in #133 Crimson Quartz
    1986 SC "Syncussion X" in black

  10. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Brisbane Qld
    Posts
    261

    Default

    That snare might have been part of a World Series kit around the early 90s.

  11. #38 Stainless Steel

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    Might have, but wasn't. It is pretty much the same snare drum as came with the Prestige Session Elite (ELX) from 1991-1993 (same part number, even), but this one has RL-30 lugs, which were introduced in 1994 with the Session (SX) and Prestige Session (SPX) series along with the RL-10 tom lugs and RL-20 bass drum lugs.
    1982 Maxwin DLX705 in #55 Silver Flash
    1994 SX "Session Series" in #38 Stainless Steel
    1990 CZX "Custom Z" in #130 Champagne
    1991 SZX "CZX Studio" in #133 Crimson Quartz
    1986 SC "Syncussion X" in black

  12. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    78

    Default

    not a World series snare
    Bang the Drummer

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •