Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default The Pearl Free Floating System - search results

The following is information about the Pearl Free Floating system compiled from threads on the Pearl Drum Forum. They have been lightly edited for grammar and to just make it more readable. Credit has been given to the original author of each statement. Hopefully, this will save others from having to spend a lot of time going through old threads, and save the moderators from having to answer the same questions over and over.

Summary:
    The Pearl Free Floating system is unique in that it allows the top and bottom heads to be tuned separately. This is accomplished by creating a metal device that includes the bottom bearing edge, lugs, and tension rods. Various shells can be placed in this device as long as they have their own top bearing edge. Shells of different sizes (depth only) can be used by changing the tension rods, and in some cases, the lugs. The lugs on piccolo depth drums are very short. You can add a bigger shell by simply using longer tension rods, but this will not be as stable as if you replace the lugs with a longer version. A big shell cannot be replaced with a much smaller shell without replacing the lugs.

Here are the details:
    geoff7877
    The top and bottom side tension rods are screwed into the lugs just like any other drum. The lugs are mounted on an aluminum chassis which the shell rests on. So the chassis and lugs are completely seperate and not at all attached to the shell. The shell is held in place by the top head/rim.

Grolubao
    Q:If I buy for example a 14x3.5 and want to fit (replace it with) a 14x6.5 (shell), I would only have to buy the tension rods, is that correct?

Masters Studio
    Yes mate, that is correct. Just remember though that if you were to put it side by side with a 6.5" snare with the proper length lugs, the drum with the longer lugs would feel much more solid and contained than the short lug/long tension rod version.

Masters Studio
    Just remember that with the Pearl FF's ,the shell depth is not the overall drum depth i.e. for a 6.5" FF the shell is actually 5" or so to account for the 'shell bed' and 'snare assembly'.

bigtone23
    Just for accuracy, the basket is 1 3/8" deep. A 6.5" FF shell is 5 1/8" deep.

nif j nac x
    Q: how do i remove my lugs from the strainer section...

Masters Studio
    A:I'm pretty sure that the lugs bolt on to the Shell Bed, which also holds the strainer mechanism. You can remove them (carefully) by undoing the lugs anti-clockwise with a visegrip. (wrap the lug in thick cloth first, and don't overtighten the visegrips) Each lug also has a hex head nut at its top so you can use a ring spanner if you prefer. Make sure you have undone the bolt at thew bottom of the lug first!

Steve D
    Q: Does the Brass FF shell come seamless? Is it the same shell as the reference? What is the construction of the shells used in the FF?

Masters Studio
    Yes the Brass shell is seamless (it is wrought out of one piece.) As for whether it is the same as the Reference Shell, I couldn't tell you but I can't see it being too much different.
    Last time I checked the metal FF shells were all 3mm thick with folded top bearing-edge and the maple shells were 6 ply, unless you go Masterworks.

surfnate02
    I read somewhere that the the Steel FF's come with Superhoops, and the Brass and Maple FF's come with Die-cast hoops.

bigtone23
    I feel that the Superhoops give a fatter, more open rimshot while Mastercast give a brighter, focused rimshot, perhaps just a hair louder but only from the higher frequency content of it's effect on tone.

Sinder
    Q: I'm interested in getting one of these free floaters, and I LOVE the black hardware on that CF snare...how would I go about snagging one with black hardware?

Masters Studio
    You will probably have to go Masterworks to get one. Unless you can find an older model of the CF prior to them becoming Masterworks...

Masters Studio
    I did split one tension lug on tour so tune evenly, always.
    As is the case with every snare, even tension at each rod is paramount. So long as you were tuning it regularly to keep even tension all 'round, you shouldn't run into too many problems!

geoff7877
    You can buy replacement lugs for I think around $4.00 each. It's been a while since I bought any FF lugs, so they have probably gone up.
    They're really easy to swap out with a crescent wrench. Personally, I would rather buy an extra set of lugs than have super long tension rods.

bigtone23
    Here is a link to FF parts: http://www.pearldrum.com/04_spareparts/PDF/44-FFS.pdf

gotdrums?
    The only problem with the FF snares, is you can't crank the bottom head too high, the bottom "bearing edge" of the chassis is pretty sharp, I've blown out 2 snare side heads trying to get them to the tension i want...

bigtone23
    The beds look pretty non-existent. There may be just the slightest whiff of a bed at best. With the extended wires the need of a bed is minimal.

Nasrudin
    Q: So if you buy a 6.5" Free Floater, does it sound like a 5" drum, or does the mechanism also contribute to the sound?

fezzasus
    It sounds like a 6.5" deep drum. The shell itself doesn't contribute that much to the sound. It's mainly the ratio of depth to diameter that is the main factor.

2. Registered User

the brass shell is not seamless, it is rolled and welded with the bottom bent to a flat mating surface, and the top bent to form the bearing edge. This is the same type of shell used in the sensitone brass shells (i believe even reference isn't seamless).
    Pacific MXR 24-8-10-12-14-16 in Ebony Oil

Paiste Cymbals- 15, 20, 24" Giant Beats, 20" Signature Traditional Prototype Crash, 20" 2000 Mellow China

Check out my band: Last Year's Winners

3. oknia...

Thanks! Rep!
    KayAun

Quote Originally Posted by EXHUMED
    Good thing you guys are just America's hat.
    Quote Originally Posted by space_jeff
    incorrect, America is Canada's arse :D

4. Registered User

More good info:
    gene okamoto(moderator)
    It is possible to get replacement tension posts for the Free Floater.
    FT35 3.5"
    FT50 5"
    FT65 6.5"

Please be forewarned that it's very difficult if not impossible to remove the original ones without scratching the tubes as they are attached with Loctite. Once off, however, the replacement tubes can be attached without Loctite.

5. Masterworks Addict

Great info!

6. Registered User

More info found in searches about the Free Floater:
    CoyoteG
    The other thing that separates Free Floating snares from the others is the ability to change out the shells with minimum effort.....you can go from simple Birch and Maple shell to a Loud Brass shell in a matter of minutes....this means it's relatively cheaper to own many many "Higher End" drums with one "Cage" and several different shells...there are brass, copper, aluminum, steel, maple, and just about any other wood you can imagine shells made for the Free Floating system and you can get just about any depth you can imagine too....from little 3" up to 9" or more.

ddrummerman2004 (in response to a comment about vents)
    I don't know about replacement shells by other manufactures but the Pearl maple shell on my free floater has no holes in the shell. The ventilation holes are in the bottom aluminum ring, one behind each snare "strainer".
    Last edited by PDGood; 02-16-2008 at 08:28 PM. Reason: To make the author's name bold

7. Guru delle Pelli

What about the differences between the 3 existing series? These are the only things I've found:

1st (1987 ?-1998 ?): Hexagonal lugs, ???? Throw-off
    2nd (1998 ?-2005): Round smooth lugs, SR-010 Throw-off, S-025 High Carbon Steel Extended Snares
    3rd (2005-today): SR-100 Glidelock Strainer, SN-1420I Ultrasound snares
    Last edited by cesko; 02-23-2008 at 07:20 AM.
    My Kit: TAMA Artstar ES●Zildjian/UFiP/Wuhan Cymbals●TAMA/Pearl Hardware●LP●Vater Sticks●Evans Heads
    My "new" FF snare!

8. Guru delle Pelli

I talked with the awesome Gene, and he gave me some insights on the 3 FFS generations, so I update the info collected as of today:

1st (1987 ?-1998 ?): Hexagonal lugs, different strainers over the years
    2nd (1998 ?-2005): Round smooth lugs, SR-010 Throw-off, S-025 High Carbon Steel Extended Snares, for a short period Superhoop II hoops instead of die-cast hoops
    3rd (2005-today): SR-100 Glidelock Strainer, SN-1420I Ultrasound snares
    My Kit: TAMA Artstar ES●Zildjian/UFiP/Wuhan Cymbals●TAMA/Pearl Hardware●LP●Vater Sticks●Evans Heads
    My "new" FF snare!

9. Registered User

Good info cesko!

10. dismissed

Great info and good work!
    DRUMS: 10 PIECE YAMAHA ROCK TOUR CUSTOM IN HOT RED
    CYMBALS: ORION
    SNARES: 14"x10" Ludwig Deep Rock, 14"x10" Dark Horse Percussion Acrylic, 14"x8" Yamaha Brass, 14"x8" Pearl Free Floating Brass, 14"x6,5" Yamaha Rock Tour Custom

www.myspace.com/andytowers

11. Registered User

Now that I own a 6.5 x 14" brass FF, I can confirm a few things I'd heard.

As fezzasus said: It does indeed sound like it's 6.5" deep, even though the actual measurement of the shell is around 5-1/8" (with the FF mechanism making up the rest of the distance). Apparently, the FF mechanism itself does add to the sound of the drum.

The tuning range is very wide.

It has excellent articulation - meaning that you can hear every little detail in your playing.

The snare mechanism is amazing - it sounds good loose, medium, or tight. I wasn't sure how well that would work since I heard it had very shallow snare beds, but I'll have to say that this is the most consistent snare mechanism I've ever worked with. It will get tighter than any other snare that I own (five others) and sounds very natural this way.

It has a big "stadium" sort of sound because of the brass shell, but is super precise with detail because of the snare mechanism and the die cast rims. That's a very nice combination.

12. Registered User

cesko
    Q:Is the old series' snare throw-off a reliable one?

Tay
    A: I own a newer model 14x6.5 Maple FF and love it. But I've used the older models like that on occasion, and I never noticed any problems with the throwoff system or anything. I know people that still own them that haven't had any problems.