Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Tuning my new remo heads

Thanks to the PDF community, I got some great new remo heads for my set. I have a few questions about tuning them. While tuning them they made a cracking sound. I'm guessing its just the head stretching and adjusting to the drum....right? When I hit the drum it has a deep tone (which i love) but it seems to vibrate and continues to make noise until it fades away. I want more of a staccato (sp?) for playing jazz, but I really don't know if the heads should become any tighter.

any suggestions?

2. oknia...

What do you mean by vibrations? Rattles in the drum? Try tightening all your lugs. Some may be loose. But don't overtighten them to the point the wood dents and your shell is damaged.

If you mean vibration as in ringing, then that's good! Drums are suppose to have good resonance. Most of the time all this resonance can't be heard out front when playing with a band so I wouldn't worry about overpowering the mix.

I don't know what "staccato" means, but if it means punch and attack with less resonance, you could tighten the drumheads to the point it becomes slightly muffled. I personally don't do that on toms because I like my toms sounding deep and low. Or the other way round, you can loosen the heads till they sound a bit slappy and have more attack.

The ideal option for a more muffled sound will be to use moongel or muffling rings for your toms. It's better than messing with your tuning. And yeah, the cracking sound you hear is the head being "seated", which is basically what you said - stretching and adjusting. Don't worry.
    KayAun

Quote Originally Posted by EXHUMED
    Good thing you guys are just America's hat.
    Quote Originally Posted by space_jeff
    incorrect, America is Canada's arse :D

3. Tama Artist

1st what heads did you buy?

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

4. oknia...

^Good point.
    KayAun

5. Registered User

Yea, I always heard that good drums rings but cant be heard from offstage.

Tom Batter sides: Remo Pinstripes
    Tom reso side: remo ambassadors
    Snare Batter: Remo Coated Ambassador
    snare reso: Remo Ambassador med. snare side

6. oknia...

Quote Originally Posted by LatitudeDrummer
    Yea, I always heard that good drums rings but cant be heard from offstage.

Tom Batter sides: Remo Pinstripes
    Tom reso side: remo ambassadors
    Snare Batter: Remo Coated Ambassador
    snare reso: Remo Ambassador med. snare side
    IMO the best heads for jazz are coated ambassadors. Your heads are more for rock drummers. Fat and low with a nice punch. Not really ideal for jazz.
    KayAun

7. Tama Artist

For a higher pitched drum you really dont want a two ply Pinstripe for a batter head. They are known more for their low pitched deep tones. What you want is a coated Ambassador for your batters.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

8. Masterworks Addict

The "cracking" of the head is normal, like you said it is just just the head stretching. I know what you mean by stacotto... short and detached. With the heads you bought, you're gunna get the excessive ring, that's what pinstripes do, they resonate. If you want more of a muffled sound, you can try any kind of dampening method (moon gels, muffle rings). I will tell you this though. If you're worried about the ringing from the toms being heard when playing with other people or different instruments, that will all get cut out and you'll never hear it. Those "overtones" will be buried by everyone else, so don't worry about it.

9. Bitter Clinger

First thing to do is tune the reso higher than the batter. That will cut down on sustain. (2 heads the same = maximum sustain.)

Your snare will be fine, but as mentioned before, pinstripes are not jazz heads. Most guys go for a coated 10-mil 1-ply head such as the Remo Ambassador or Evans G1.

The cracking is the sound of the glue separating from the head in spots--normal with Remo and no problem--happens only once.

You might want to read Drum Tuning Bible

Not an infallible authority, but a place to start.
    Pearl ECX

New to tuning? Check these out:

Tuning toms Tuning Snares Tuning bass drums Why reso heads are important

Too much snare buzz? See this, then this.