Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Jazz nerd.

Hey man,

First off let me tell you that it's most important to find out what's most comfortable for you, a setup is a personal thing.

The standard jazz setup, in my opinion, is a 4 piece kit. A small bassdrum (something around 18x14), a tomtom (12x9), a floortom (14x14) and a snare. About cymbols, there are usually 2 rides (one in the classic crash spot, if you get what I mean, and inbetween the two toms) and also a big china (20" or bigger, which is pretty low above your floortom). Ofcourse you got your hihats too. Since you won't have any crashes this way, try to find out which rides are crashable, there is a great thread about that here on the forum.

Again, setup is a personal thing, also bound to the styles you play. The setup I described is a really bebop-ish setup, so it will work great for those situations. But if you're also playing things like fusion and acid jazz, then you surely need some crashes too, for instance.

Good luck with the whole thing!

PS: Are you the drummer for latitude, the Dutch band that is stationed in the south western part of Holland, around Zeeland and such? If so, I happen to know your singer and just wanted to say great job on the whole thing .
    Motivation is the key to everything.

2. War Eagle!

I play jazz quite often, and I love my Zildjian K series stuff. I use a k custom dark ride, and that thing is dark, articulate, overtones are very controllable..... everything you would want from a jazz ride. I also have a sizzle ride that works quite nicely for some applications too... you might want to look into those.

3. Deputy Grand Poobah

Quote Originally Posted by LatitudeDrummer
    I'm kind of a noob when it comes to drum set percussion. Theres a lot of things I want to change about my set. Mostly the setup and cymbals.

What are some good drumheads and cymbals for jazz?

And does anyone have any suggestions for a better setup? I know its hard to tell, but when i sit down it feels like i'm really high up and exposed, same goes for the rest of my set.

For some reason I cant put any attachments on so i uploaded them to photobucket: http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/b...%20Drum%20Set/

thanks in advance for any help
    There are many good suggestions posted thus far. I'm going to steer it in a different route, if it didn't go this way. Apologies if I'm repeating something that was already said.

First thing is first: POSTURE. Sit at the kit so that it looks like you're sitting at your kitchen table, about to eat dinner. You don't slouch (generally) and you should (SHOULD!) be sitting so you are facing in front of both the snare and the high tom. Position the pedals to the feet, NEVER the opposite.

Remember, how you naturally sit when sitting is how you kit should be set up. WHatever you do, do not set up snare and pedals so that you're twisting your back; you may not feel it now, but that twist will cause SERIOUS back problems in the future.

As for jazz cymbals and drums, I think that would be cost-prohibitive. You don't have money for a jazz kit AND a rock kit, so you have to buy one so you can play both. Tune low for rock; tune high for jazz.

Back in the day, Zildjian A's were used for EVERYTHING. Zildjian K's were available back then, but were so expensive and delicate, no WAY they were played for anything other than light, jazz playing.

So for cymbals, you want a set that you can also use for all styles. Rides that have equal amount stick sound and wash, crashes that can take a wallop playing rock, but are just thin enough to be able to play jazz with. It's a challenge, but it's necessary.

That's all for now. I will add as I think of it. Good luck! Don't forget to practice reading!!!! Music reading, I mean!!!

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JBZ
    Hey man,

First off let me tell you that it's most important to find out what's most comfortable for you, a setup is a personal thing.

The standard jazz setup, in my opinion, is a 4 piece kit. A small bassdrum (something around 18x14), a tomtom (12x9), a floortom (14x14) and a snare. About cymbols, there are usually 2 rides (one in the classic crash spot, if you get what I mean, and inbetween the two toms) and also a big china (20" or bigger, which is pretty low above your floortom). Ofcourse you got your hihats too. Since you won't have any crashes this way, try to find out which rides are crashable, there is a great thread about that here on the forum.

Again, setup is a personal thing, also bound to the styles you play. The setup I described is a really bebop-ish setup, so it will work great for those situations. But if you're also playing things like fusion and acid jazz, then you surely need some crashes too, for instance.

Good luck with the whole thing!

PS: Are you the drummer for latitude, the Dutch band that is stationed in the south western part of Holland, around Zeeland and such? If so, I happen to know your singer and just wanted to say great job on the whole thing .
    Thanks for your advice. No I am not the drummer your speaking of

5. Jazz nerd.

Haha ok, never mind then.
    Motivation is the key to everything.