Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Eat,Sleep,Dream,Drums.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimp_Ganja_Gnome
    IMO It is easier to produce more sound from a power tom with the same amount of force being applied to the stick. However playing the toms fast will sound better on fast toms. Seeing as though power toms require less energy to be played, a smaller, weaker and slower wristed drummer would find them ideal. Fast toms on the other hand, enjoy those of us with wrists built for speed and tenacity.

To sum up, Power toms are for those who have no power of their own and fast toms are for drummers with bulging sexy Neanderthal-like bodies.
    damn your so funny!
    Flying Over Rio
    https://soundcloud.com/rico7
    https://open.spotify.com/track/3lceIGs8j4A4MSZXRYdXFw
    DW Collectors Pure Maple
    DW MCD Twin pedal
    Pearl Redline double belt
    Paiste Cymbals

2. Registered User

That guy likes power toms ^^

3. th droids yerlookn4

and you like men with Neanderthal bodies apparently.

4. Registered User

Default Go Big Or ...?

Name:  Touch me Hooker at the Park.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  79.7 KB
    In this photo I'm playing a special order white Pearl Maple kit with 26x18, 18x18, and 14x14 sizes. I ordered the toms undrilled and received the mounts and legs separately. I had the 18 drilled for four legs - very Spinal Tap - and left the 14 clean, mounting it high up on a cut-down Atlas base with a snare basket on top.
    I'm only 5 foot seven and as you can see from the photo, my stool is set so high that I'm almost standing up! I never had a problem playing this kit, and hitting those drums with 2B sticks and the kick with a cuboid wooden beater, along with all Paiste RUDE cymbals, made one hell of a racket. I did used to put a bit of cardboard down inside my laces to cushion that beater, because it would whip back and smack me in the foot. Which was crippling.
    Anyway, it looked good - let's face it, that's half the story - and it sounded good, but it took a lot of energy to play. However, this was taken over thirty years ago (Dolores Park SF) and I'm way past all that nonsense. I have an old BLX 10x8, 12x9, 14x14 and 22x16 with a vintage FF snare, but I must admit that I am yearning for a bit more in the way of 'oomph', but to be honest in the band I'm in at the moment, I don't really need it. But I do have my eye on an old Wood/Fiberglass shell set with 13x9, 16x16, 22x14 sizes, but would really prefer a deeper 13" tom, which I would set much lower, almost alongside the kick.
    So, what am I saying? What I'm saying is if you're in a band, than as a drummer you want to fit in with that band and their style. Not just their musical style, but also their look. The band in the photo, I must admit, were really more of a double-kick kind of style (Glam/Metal), but my massive four-piece Pearl, with the matching cymbals - the white logos looked great with a white kit - impressed them so much that they said 'OK, you're in'. Of course I can play the bloody things, but that goes without saying. But if you're playing in a Blues band, or a jazz/fusion group, then you don't need power toms, in fact you don't want them, they're overkill. At the end of the day, you want what you want, so I will keep my little bluesy-rock Birch kit and get something deeper just for me! Why choose, when you can have both?

5. Drumming Since 1943

Holy necro bump!
    Way Too Much Crap

6. The Hardware Guy

What's 12 years among friends...?

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

7. Drumming Since 1943

I mean, Ricohorton?! Who’s next- Slip?!
    Way Too Much Crap

8. The Hardware Guy

Imagine if that came true.... N00bs wouldn't have a clue!

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

9. FKA Tasty808

I do miss how active this forum used to be... I was a lurker for quite some time before I joined back in 2006, but I used to actually learn things from the forum. Now I feel like I just answer questions and compliment People’s new snare drums. Not that I'm complaining, I love to see some new gear!

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    What's 12 years among friends...?
    Closer to 13, in fact!

I was 19 when this thread started and now I’m 32 lol
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

11. Pearl Corporation USA

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
    Name:  Touch me Hooker at the Park.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  79.7 KB
    In this photo I'm playing a special order white Pearl Maple kit with 26x18, 18x18, and 14x14 sizes. I ordered the toms undrilled and received the mounts and legs separately. I had the 18 drilled for four legs - very Spinal Tap - and left the 14 clean, mounting it high up on a cut-down Atlas base with a snare basket on top.
    I'm only 5 foot seven and as you can see from the photo, my stool is set so high that I'm almost standing up! I never had a problem playing this kit, and hitting those drums with 2B sticks and the kick with a cuboid wooden beater, along with all Paiste RUDE cymbals, made one hell of a racket. I did used to put a bit of cardboard down inside my laces to cushion that beater, because it would whip back and smack me in the foot. Which was crippling.
    Anyway, it looked good - let's face it, that's half the story - and it sounded good, but it took a lot of energy to play. However, this was taken over thirty years ago (Dolores Park SF) and I'm way past all that nonsense. I have an old BLX 10x8, 12x9, 14x14 and 22x16 with a vintage FF snare, but I must admit that I am yearning for a bit more in the way of 'oomph', but to be honest in the band I'm in at the moment, I don't really need it. But I do have my eye on an old Wood/Fiberglass shell set with 13x9, 16x16, 22x14 sizes, but would really prefer a deeper 13" tom, which I would set much lower, almost alongside the kick.
    So, what am I saying? What I'm saying is if you're in a band, than as a drummer you want to fit in with that band and their style. Not just their musical style, but also their look. The band in the photo, I must admit, were really more of a double-kick kind of style (Glam/Metal), but my massive four-piece Pearl, with the matching cymbals - the white logos looked great with a white kit - impressed them so much that they said 'OK, you're in'. Of course I can play the bloody things, but that goes without saying. But if you're playing in a Blues band, or a jazz/fusion group, then you don't need power toms, in fact you don't want them, they're overkill. At the end of the day, you want what you want, so I will keep my little bluesy-rock Birch kit and get something deeper just for me! Why choose, when you can have both?
    Nice Pic!

The guitar player (with the hat) on the left (to your right), looks like Dan Riley.

Pearl USA | Nashville

12. Registered User

What a great story Sal! I love guys who put a lot of thought into their set up. That's a dope-*** set.
    Ludwig WMP Concert Toms: 6/8/10/12/13/14/15/16/18/20/24, 15" custom snare. Zildjian.