Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Power or Fast toms???

Hi All,

I'm looking at piecing a kit together and could use some help on toms. What difference will a "power tom" sound like compared to the "fast", as DW calls it, or shorter shell depth...given same heads and shell material?

Thanks for the feedback!

2. Registered User

The power toms will give more depth to your sound and they will project like no other. The fast toms will give you a nice attack sound with plenty of tone when tuned right. Fast toms are said to be tuned with more ease.

3. I am a sleeping bag monster!

I'm personally a fan of fast toms, not only because of positioning issues but I find that they are just that: fast. The sound is more attack-y and punchy. But power toms can be great if you really want that big and full sustain from the toms. Good luck with the kit!
    Tama | Yamaha | Zildjian | Remo | Promark

Quote Originally Posted by the_peripheral
    Women can't be the best at anything. That's physically impossible.

4. th droids yerlookn4

i say go down the middle road, my toms are 10x8, 12x10, 14x12

a little deeper than fast toms and i little shallower than power toms

5. GWUHHHHH

Quote Originally Posted by Mastodon91
    I'm personally a fan of fast toms, not only because of positioning issues but I find that they are just that: fast. The sound is more attack-y and punchy. But power toms can be great if you really want that big and full sustain from the toms. Good luck with the kit!
    This.

THIS.
    2oo8 nissan altima 3.5 - powered by NISMO - TEAMBCR

6. Steve

Power Toms = 80's hair metal.

7. Token Cracker

^ hahaha. Pretty much. But weren't 80's toms even deeper than what we consider power toms today. 80's tom would be 12x12, but today we consider 12x10 a power tom. Isn't there a less used name like cannon tom or rocket tom for the 80's version.

My thoughts on power toms mounting. In the 80's I was like everybody else and had my toms up in the sky. I had somewhat extended time off from drumming and music. When I cam back about 3 years ago I found this amazing lowness and totally bought into it. 8, 10, 12 fast toms over a 20" kick mounted absolutely as low and flat as I could get them. Slowly over the last 3 years I've moved back to 12, 13 power toms over a 22" kick with some tilt. No where near 80's up in the sky style but somewhere in the middle.

The 80's sky toms were mainly for looks or coolness. IMO the super low toms are for the same reason. People might like them real low or real high and that works well for them but initially it seems the coolness factor dictates the placement. Real freedom comes without the restrictions of conformity.

Anyway, except for the 8" and maybe the 10" I don't see that 1" difference really matters.

8. Registered User

^^^
    Razor...Sounds like my story.

Thanks All...Gotta agree.

9. Registered User

where no one can find me...especially old groupies.

Thumbs up

Personally for me...I've always like the full body and tone of a deep drum.
    Hey kids, If ya want that Bonham sound ya need BIG-Ludwigs! :eek:
    My kit> 26" BD, 14x13 Rack, 18" and 20" Floors, legendary 14x6.50 Supra.

10. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by Stixxs
    Hi All,

I'm looking at piecing a kit together and could use some help on toms. What difference will a "power tom" sound like compared to the "fast", as DW calls it, or shorter shell depth...given same heads and shell material?

Thanks for the feedback!

me,as i like a cut sound for my tom line, i would go between fast and power toms..power sizes can display mushy overtones and loads of bottom end, but lack attack, which is very dumb....

i try to get ridd of my D.W fast-tom punk set because it's a bit, i say a BIT to much hi-end/attack sounding....i would like to get same cut/attack, but, with more bottom and same¨¨¨no overtones¨¨ than my fast-toms set....VEEEERY tough task....

short toms are said to be ¨¨LATIN¨¨ sizes....very sensitive (less air inside= better rebound)attack/touch, great for a rollracer who like rolling the tomline a lot in double and single strokes mixed, but however, something is missing in the bottom end department whatever heads are on....imo

then, some will point out, heads, tuning, resos, but, at the end, you need a correct choice of tom depht to help achieve a seeked tom sound....

dont forget: mic'ed drums is another story for sure.

you could mix short and power dephts togheter...
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

11. The Drum Machine

personally, i prefer the sound of the fast toms and the fact that they are more easily placed is a bonus. but you should definitely go to stores and try them both out to see the differences

12. Registered User

Fast! Smaller sounds much better to me personally and are also much easier to position.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch Drums | Zildjian "A" Cymbals | Pearl/Gibraltar Hardware | Pro-Mark Drum Sticks | Evans Drum Heads