Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Pearl Forum Moderator

Default Interview with Michael Cartellone

#1: Michael, first off, thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer a few questions for your fans. The first thing most people notice when they meet you, is how down to earth you are. You are the one guy in our neighborhood that takes time out to actually stop and talk to people. How do you manage to stay a "regular guy" after all of your success over the past 20 years?

Thank You for the compliment. Honestly, Iíve always considered myself a ďregular guy,Ē regardless of what was going on in my career. I can Thank my parents for this. I was raised in a very traditional, blue collar, middle class, comfortable environment. Consequently, that instilled a very practical way to look at life. Even though I play in a well known band, I just think of myself as a working musician, who has been blessed to do what I love for a living.

#2: How do you stay motivated playing the drums day after day, year after year?
    The short answer is, I simply love drumming. Itís satisfying to me mentally and physically. Now, admittedly there are days where I may not be in the mood on tour. However, once the lights go down and the crowd roars, I always kick into gear.

#3: Is it tough being on the road after doing this for over 20 years? I get homesick after a few days!

Of course, I miss being home with my wife Nancy, but we donít let too much time go by without seeing each other. That aside, I think you can make the road as easy or difficult on yourself as you choose. I personally donít change any of my daily routine regarding exercise, diet or sleep- so I stay consistent that way. Also, I paint during the day in my hotel rooms, so Iím never bored.

#4: Let's discuss your current setup. What are your drum and cymbal specs?

Drums: Pearl Reference Series in Piano White. Sizes: 22x16 kick, 10x8 tom, 13x8 tom, 16x16 floor, 18x16 floor, 14x6 1/2 Reference Steel Snare.
    Hardware, Pedals, Cowbell and Woodblock are all Pearl.
    Zildjian Cymbals: 14Ē Custom Z hi hats, 21Ē Rock Ride, (2) 19Ē Custom Z Crashes, (2) 18Ē Custom Z Chinas Ė one with rivets, 18Ē Custom Z Rock Crash, 20Ē Rock Crash.

#5: Who are some of your favorite drummers?

Stewart Copeland, Terry Bozzio, Bill Bruford, and Neil Peart.

#6: Do you still practice drums daily?

No. When Iím on tour, we average 5 nights a week and that is a lot of drumming- so I rest on the days off. When our tour ends (averaging 100 dates over six months time), I wonít pick a stick for weeks- just to get away from it. Then, Iíll get antsy and start playing again, but even then not on a daily basis. As the tour approaches, Iíll practice more frequently to build up stamina and finesse. That routine applies to my gig with Skynyrd. However, when Iím home in NYC I do session work and play with friends occasionally for fun. So, I never really have a lot of time go by without drumming.

#7: Tell us about your other career as an artist. Is it as enjoyable as drumming for you?

Iíve painted my whole life- actually before I started drumming- and as a child expected to be an Artist for a living. Yes, it is as enjoyable as drumming but in completely different ways. Therefore, the drumming side of me and the Art side of me make up two halves of a whole and compliment each other well. Iíve developed a nice side Art career, where I show in Galleries across the country and market Artwork through my website: www.michaelcartellone.com.

#8: Tell us briefly about being the drummer for Lynyrd Skynyrd. Is it still fun? Do the guys still get along?
    I love my gig and have been with Skynyrd 9 years. It may sound clichť, but it is one big happy family and we have a blast on tour.

#9: Finally, what are some other projects you are working on currently?

On the Music side: I played on a solo album for Joe Lynn Turner (formerly of Rainbow and Deep Purple) called Second Hand Life, which just was released in April 2007.
    On the Art side: Iím finishing up a painting of a Carousel (inspired by the one in Central Park) and will market that soon.

- I think thatís a good final question.

Thanks again for your time. I still would love to see your drum room. A little old lady in the elevator actually told me about it!

.... Yes, we had some neighbors come to our Housewarming (you were out on the Island if memory serves). Weíll have plenty of time to hang this fall
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I play with strings and sticks.

2. Pearl/Zildjian/Vater

Sweet! You shoud have asked him about Will, haha

3. Pearl Forum Moderator

Russ did the interview...That would of been funny to get him talking about Will..
    I play with strings and sticks.

4. Vintage 1968

It would have been funny if he would have said "Who? Oh, you mean Slip?"
    Random obscure cool group from my youth:

5. plays well with others

Good job. I didn't realize he was such a serious painter.

6. M-E-T-S

Really cool stuff! Thanks Russ for taking the time out to talk to your famous neighbor and thank you DSM for posting it in a convenient little sticky here.
    My Emerald Fade 6 piece MMX (updated pics on page 9)

My Tama Re-finishing thread

[URL=http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=179551My snares[/URL] (Brand spankin NEW!!!)

My crazy KEYTAR skills

"Every one pities the weak. Jealousy, you have to earn." - Arnold Schwartzeneger

7. SUPERJERK

His art is great! I would love to buy a piece in the future.
    Remo MasterTouchArctic White
    22x16, 10x9, 12x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5 Pearl Sensitone Aluminum
    Paiste 2oo2 18", 20" Crash, 21" Big Beat, 15" Giant Beat Hi Hats

SUPERJERK: BandCamp Facebook

8. Snare Ho'

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by barroomhero
    Really cool stuff! Thanks Russ for taking the time out to talk to your famous neighbor and thank you DSM for posting it in a convenient little sticky here.
    Thanks. Michael is a great guy. Will actually put us in touch,so,he really does know who Slipknot 1 is!
    Check out my NEW site: www.drums-of-newyork.com

9. I'm a Guitarist too

great interview,i'm going to see skynyrd next saturday.
    DW Collectors 16x20,8x12,14x14 Midnight Glass

10. Snare Ho'

Quote Originally Posted by Snarekick1214
    great interview,i'm going to see skynyrd next saturday.
    Thanks.Where are they playing?

11. Snare Ho'

Quote Originally Posted by DeadSkinMask
    Russ did the interview...That would of been funny to get him talking about Will..
    Thanks DSM for doing this.

12. AKA Shaggy

I appreciate Russ, Slip, and DSM putting forth the effort to sit down with an awesome talent and share his wisdom and experience. Thanks guys!
    The man called Shaggy.