Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 50 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. The Living Legend

Default The great crashable ride thread

Ok so it seems to me that everyone is asking the same question and alot of people are getting angry.WELL lets get that taken care of!I have owned MANY MANY cymbals and played 3x more than i have owned.I am a crash rider i accept it and alot of people like it or want to try it and cant try these cymbals because they arent available to try(i live in southern california i can get my hands on anything )

Remember these are my opinions but ask around ive helped alot of members with crash ride choices

So here goes! Im going to be doing the big 4 as thats what i have the most expertise is.Each cymbal will get either a Non crash ride-ok crash ride-good crash ride-great crash ride rating.

MEINL

The mb20 20 Medium heavy - This cymbal reminded me of a mix between an A Custom and Z Custom medium.Its got a great ping and kind of a dry wash to it. Good crash ride

Mb20 heavy ride 20 21 22 - Greater ping than the medium heavy model can be crashed much more of a gongy roar to it.Has the "ping" crash to it that will come through washy but with a ping overtone in a loud mix. Good crash ride

Mb20 22 heavy bell ride - What can i say haha very gong like cutting bell. Non crash ride

Mb20 24 Pure metal ride - Once again non crash ride

Byzance Thin ride 20 - Great crash very lacking in ride quality which isnt realy important in a crash ride but i like to have something versatile and im writing this so Ok crash ride

Byzance medium ride 20 21 22- This i would compare to the Zildjian Sweet Ride but with somewhat better ride qualities. Good crash ride

Byzance Heavy Ride 20 22-Every modern indie/emo/screamo drummer you see who endorses Meinl uses one of these for the most part and theres a good reason its a very cutting versatile crash ride great bell and not too gongy for a heavy ride. Great crash ride

Byzance Sizzle rides 20 22- Sizzle rides are interesting.Ive tried sizzle as main crash rides and they seem to lack and are better for left hand rides occasional crashs. OK crash ride

Byzance Ping ride 20 22- Ping rides sound terrible crashed for the most part and this is no exception.20 feet in front they blend and lose gong like qualities but the sound behind the kit is loud and brash! Non crash ride

Have not tried any jazz series crash rides but i would imagine ok-great crash rides depending on weight.

Soundcaster Medium 20 - Very bright with great ping for a medium ride,very bright crash. Good crash ride

Soundcaster powerful ride 20 21 22 - Very pingy and dry have to realy dig in for a crash. Ok crash ride

Soundcaster Megabell ride 22 - NON CRASH RIDE

MB10 medium ride 20 21- Bigger bell than the mb20. Good crash ride

MB10 bell blast ride 20 -Non crash ride

The amun series offers some of the above models like medium and powerful and my review stands for those

The Amun Big bell medium ride - Name says is all medium weight with a bigger bell.Solid ping with a great bell ride. Good crash ride

The classics line also includes the medium and powerful rides

Paiste

Traditional Light ride 20 22- Very good crash quality but a lighter ride so very washy ride quality bell is ok. Ok crash ride

Traditional extra light ride 22- roaring crash thin ride quality. Ok crash ride

Traditional light ride 18 20-Smaller sizes and no bell equal a tight ping. Ok crash ride

Traditional medium light ride 20 22-Little more heft than the light ride better ping and bell. Good crash ride

Traditional medium ride 20-good versatile ride. Good crash ride.

Traditional medium heavy ride 20- Good ping and bell with a dark moody crash. Good crash ride

Dark energy rides-I have played alot of the dark energy rides and they are all great crash rides.The mark 1 tends to be on the dry side but still good crash ride where as the mark 2 opens up alot better great crash rides

Signature series

Mellow ride 22-Good crash ride

Silver mellow ride 21-Good crash ride

Full ride 20 21 22-great crash ride

Bright ride 20-ok crash ride

Dark full ride 21-great crash ride

The dry,dry crisp,dry heavy,power ride and dark metal sigs i would call NON crash rides.

Twenty i have no expierance with but they have a medium ride i would say it can be crashed!

2002 power ride 20 22-ok crash ride

2002 wild ride 20 22-good crash ride

2002 wild crush ride 20 22- good crash ride

2002 dry ride 20-non crash ride

2002 cool ride 20-ok crash ride

2002 deep full ride 20 22-good crash ride

2002 ride 20 22 24-great crash ride

2002 heavy ride 20 22-ok crash ride

Rude 24 mega power ride-non crash ride

Rude power ride 20-non crash ride

Rude crash/ride 20-hmmm i wonder haha good crash ride.

Giant beat 18 20 crash/ride-ok crash rides

Giant beat 24 multi use-good crash ride

Sabian

I dont have much expieriance with but from what i have used/heard most AA AAX HH HHX and Signatures that are medium to medium heavy will work stay away from ping and extra heavy/dry rides.

Zildjian

Im getting alittle lazy so im gonna do what i did with sabian. The zildjian Avedis,A custom,K, K custom make great thin-heavy rides that can be crashed.The z custom 20 medium and projection crashs are good crash rides in that series.As always stay away from ping,extra heavy(earth ride) mega bell and such.

If anyone wants a question answered about a ride being a good crash ride PM me or post it here.Lets make this the comprehensive crash ride thread and not have 8 is this a good crash ride threads a day that are full of people who dont search and people that love to stay on pdf and classify everyone emo.

Please add your reviews!

Drock
    Epiarch Artist

My Kit

2. resU deretsigeR

I'll contribute the little knowlege i have. Meinl classics powerful ride, no crashing capabilities at all. Good ride but if you try to crash it, it makes a metallic ping sound and a quiet washy sound.

3. The Living Legend

Yea lower level cymbals will tend to do that and be much pingier and brash(of course) than thier higher end models of the same model.
    Epiarch Artist

My Kit

4. Seek Up An Emotion

yay my ride is a good crash ride according to you
    "I dreamed I killed God and woke up
    He was begging please,
    please, please, no dont
    I dreamed I killed God and woke up"- DM

Club YDF

My Yamaha's

5. The Living Legend

whatcha got?

like i said these are all opinions but id consider myself very accurate with this stuff
    Epiarch Artist

My Kit

6. Registered User

Great! You didnt forget Meinl! Gotta tell you that the Byzance dark rides are great as crashes, the 21" is maybe a bit hard to open up, but when it does it deliveres a dark earthy and powerful sound. Have it myself.

7. YAMAHA PAISTE

Zildjian A 21" Sweet Ride
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=28960&dateline=125799  7944

8. Drum And Drummer

i went into me bass drum (theres a crack in it !), fell asleep (damn pillows in bass drum), and the band put the heads back on!!!! but it has a holz, so i can still type on PDF :)

20" aax stage for sabian....
    also dont reccomend z customs as crash`s to ride. espically the rides and the power ride !
    Pearl - The Best Reason To Join A Forum

Tama Pearl Epiarch Remo / Evans Pro Mark Some Cymbals

9. Emu Tamer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarkill
    Rides are for riding and crashes are for crashing imo.. The only paiste rides I'd crash would be The Rude ride/crash, the 24" giant beat and perhaps the crush and wild ride, and of course the Traditionals ride for jazz/bop music. If you want bigass crashes, buy one of those 22" or 24" 2002 crashes.

I kind of take the opposite approach. I crash my rides (though not much) and I ride my other cymbals. I don't hit super hard and I play with small sticks, so I'm always looking for "alternative" ride sources. Right now, i've got a 20" traditional prototype as my main ride (waiting the arrival of my 20" Twenty), but I think my 19" 2002 Thin Crash makes a great ride (sometimes with a moongel to control the wash). My 20" 2000 Mellow china makes an AWESOME ride, too. It's profile is relatively flat, so when it's played "right side up," it's fairly easy to control it, depending on where you play it.

Also, along that line, my 20" Sound Formula dry ride makes a perfect heavy crash (don't let the "dry" in the name fool you). So much so that back when they were still making Sound Formulas, I contemplated getting a custom 18" version of it. That's also the ride I'm crash/riding in the song Contradiction, listed in my sig.

My 18" Dimensions medium ride makes a nice crash, too. There have been a couple cases where I have put it in certain situations where it just didn't cut as a ride. So how do you get more volume? Beat the crap out of it.
    My Music

equipment list

If anyone has a 20" (any depth) Ocean Sparkle Masters kick and wants to trade for an 18x22 BRX, please PM me

10. I run like a Welshman

You know what... when I look at my post now, I have no idea what I was thinking. Yes, I crash my rides, and I sometimes ride my crashes and of course my 20" novo..

I'm sorry.. I have no idea what was going through my mind.

Medium weight rides can produce an excellent crash sound. I own the 20" 2002 ride, and it's pretty washy. I don't play a lot of repetitive crash/riding unlike most members who are asking Qs about crashable rides these days (hardcore, punk etc), but for a big sounding crash after a powerful fill, I'd use the 2002 ride.

As for riding crashes, I'd definately go with some big ones. Traditionals crashes and dark energy crashes would probably work great for ride patterns in jazz/bop/latin applications.

Big, warm chinas are great for riding. My 20" novo is controllable if not hit too hard, and I can even use the bell if I want to..

Again, sorry.
    Last edited by Gnarkill; 03-24-2007 at 06:44 PM.
    Yern desh bern, de rit de git der goo; yern desh, de bern desh, de umm, BORK BORK BORK

www.paiste-only.com

11. No I'm doesn't.

I always hear about how ping rides are pretty much uncrashable, but I have a 20" A Custom Ping Ride that I think sounds pretty good crashed. Would this just be me liking different things than everyone else?
    Ludwig '76 Classic - 24, 14, 16, 18
    Ludwig 14x8 Supralite

My band: Horseburner

12. Emu Tamer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by antiviolent
    I always hear about how ping rides are pretty much uncrashable, but I have a 20" A Custom Ping Ride that I think sounds pretty good crashed. Would this just be me liking different things than everyone else?

we had a couple 20" Avedis Ping Rides back in school that sounded great crashed.
    My Music

equipment list

If anyone has a 20" (any depth) Ocean Sparkle Masters kick and wants to trade for an 18x22 BRX, please PM me