Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

Why do people hate the 1.6 mm hoops so much?

2. Practicing...

because 2.3mm hoops keep the drums in tune much better than 1.6mm its just a matter of keeping the drum in tune and I'm pretty sure there is better resonance with 2.3mm than with 1.6mm

3. This is just a tribute

Not only that, but if you hit the rims with sticks, either on purpose (rimshot) or accident, they'll bend. 2.3s will bend, but you really have to abuse them first.
    Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

4. University of Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by trickg
    Not only that, but if you hit the rims with sticks, either on purpose (rimshot) or accident, they'll bend. 2.3s will bend, but you really have to abuse them first.
    True, there are a couple dents in my forum hoops.
    Damn 2b's that I used when I started out
    7-Piece Double Bass BRX!
    The critics are raving: "Pure hotness. One of the nicest kits on here."-Fran, "F*ckin Beautiful"-NevDRUM, "Amazing!!! HOLY SHINIKES!"-rushofblood2112, "Gorgeous kit and setup"-DeadSkinMask, "Beautiful!"-drmrman, "absolutely awesome!"-AL PERCIVAL

5. Cymbalminded fool.

Quote Originally Posted by trickg
    That, and the ISS system attaches to the hoop. With a soft and bending hoop such as the 1.6mm ones, it'll affect the tuning a lot when you hang it on the rack. With stiffer, thicker hoops this wouldn't be a problem.

6. Registered User

i'm gonna go for the vission, haha, looks like a better deal

Bills
    hate me because i am beautiful,
    but don't hate my drums for being beautiful

7. Groove.

I really like the clear birch, black fade, and the electric blue.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Akahito
    That, and the ISS system attaches to the hoop. With a soft and bending hoop such as the 1.6mm ones, it'll affect the tuning a lot when you hang it on the rack. With stiffer, thicker hoops this wouldn't be a problem.
    Hmmm...are there any drum sets in the same price range that have 2.3 mm hoops?

9. This is just a tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Shub-Niggurath
    Hmmm...are there any drum sets in the same price range that have 2.3 mm hoops?
    Yeah - just about ANY other kit in that price range has at a minimum 2.3 hoops or even die cast hoops standard.

I've always been surprised that Pearl hasn't changed that - it is in my opinion one of the worst aspects of the Export series drums.
    Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

10. Registered Drummer

I just got mine changed to 2.3mm hoops. I can't tell the difference yet with my 12" coz i dont have an optimount for it so its on a snare stand, but my 16" definitely sings alot more than it used to.
    MY DRUMS 2008

MY DRUMS 2007

MY DRUMS 2006

"Silence is our canvas and it's where you don't put stuff which is just as important, if not more, than where you put it" - Keith Richards

11. Registered User

Now I'm starting to think I should go with a Mapex M-Birch for my next kit.

12. Registered User

The Vision Series looks to have many advantages to it than the ECX and i really like the sound of birch too.