Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. senior member

Default click tracks??????

me and my band are recording right now .....my question is what do you guys use as a click track?...like is there a guitar in the click track too? because i cant seem to hear the click track over my drums and its pretty hard to play the whole song from memory just to a click...thanks in advance
    diamond burst army.... [url]

www.myspace.com/thefallofbea

2. Registered User

You can put anything you want on there. I like to start with a rhythym guitar and a scratch vocal; it doesn't have to be anything perfect - just enough that I can follow the song and lay down the drum track. There are all kinds of ways to do it - just make it work for you.

3. senior member

is this what everyone here does?

4. Tama Artist

We play the whole song together with me listening to the click, and no mics on the drums. Then I use that scratch track to lay down the drums.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

5. Registered User

We will be doing this...
    Record live with me listening to the click track many takes per song...
    Go back to fix any small mistakes
    re-record vocal (our vocalist/guitarist can only record guitar while singing i don't get it)

Our songs on myspace were live, recorded through one mic and they sound damn good
    Saluda Artist:
    13" Diamond top/ Mist X Bottom hi hats
    18" Mist Dark Crash
    20" Mist X medium polished raw bell ride
    18" Diamond Thin Mellow Crash
    14" Mist-X Fast Crash

HEAR ME:
    Drive Theory Myspace

6. Proud to play fast!

I play with a click all the time, it really helps keeping the band sounding tight all the time.

When we recorded our album, I played to a click and a guitar scratch track so I was able to tell where I was. It worked just fine.
    Check out my playing here: http://www.hardaxe.net/bands/141/

Pearl Masters MMX
    Axis Longboards
    Zildjian
    Vic Firth

www.ShadowDemon.us

7. 420

Eh, click track recording is tuff, i usually just play with my guitarist in my headphones, then we record the guitar again over the drums that way no matter what atleast the guitar and drums are on time with each other =D

8. senior member

cool anyone else?

9. do one thing, do it well

when we recorded last spring i was set up in a large room, with everyone else isolated and a monitor feed hooked up with a click going for everyone. we recorded the drum track with everyone live, then they laid their tracks over it later. whatever set up you go for or have the accomedations for, do use a click. it makes editing so much easier (which will save you a bundle of time and/or money depending on your situation), and the end product will be much more cohesive.
    "If you can play, you can play anything. I don't like classifications." - Buddy Rich

LaPhone
    ROGERS REBORN

10. I'm not Lebowski; I'm the dude

I'll either play to a click by myself (assuming I know the arrangement of the tunes), or play to a click while the band plays along with me. It really depends on how much emotion you're able to bring to the tune by yourself - some drummers need to hear the music to "get into the moment", while others seem to pull off an inspired performance without accompaniment.

In regards to not being able to hear the click above everything else, you really should get yourself a pair of isolation headphones for practice and recording situations. I use the Sennheisser Pro 280s (http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...nsf/root/04974) and love them. This way you'll be able to hear everyting comfortably without having to crank your headphone volume to overcome the volume of your drums. I can't stress this enough. I've been playing over 25 years and have a slight ring in my ears now. I wish products like this were around when I started, although earplugs were! I started using isolation headphones around ten years ago.

I also have a pair of the Vic Firth isolation headphones, but IMO the Sennheiser's sound quality is much better.
    For sale!:
    13" Zildjian A Mastersound top/New Beat bot HH's
    12" Zildjian Z splash
    PM me for pricing!

Pearl Ref (SF) 8x7 10x8 12x9 14x11 16x13 22x20

Snares, Tama Artstar II Limited kit, Yamaha/Roland kit

11. Registered User

I've done studio work with and without a click, and I prefer using the click. It seems to save time and money in the long run. I usually play along with the click while the guitarist plays along with me, but he is only recorded as a scratch track. Then rhythm guitars and bass are laid down, then vocals, with solos and backing vocals last.

12. Noderator

Often I will make midi tracks of all our songs first and use them (minus drums) as a click track. Then I will chuck the midi files into fruity loops to make them sound decent.
    2000+ posts club!!
    My Band: Papa Eden

My Kit
    Gretsch Drums
    Gibraltar Hardware
    Istanbul, Paiste, Anatolian Cymbals
    Pro-Mark Sticks
    Aquarian Heads