Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
  1. KISS ARMY

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    this is a great thread, but i have a question.

what is the easiest way to record music/drums? can you run mics stright into a computer with a music processing program?
    you would need an interface something along the lines of a firewire or usb interface with inputs for mics.
    KISS ARMY

Quote Originally Posted by David Lee Roth
    Sometimes I feel like Iím holding Sammy Hagar by his head and heís swinging at me, but his arms donít reach. And Iím eating a sandwich.

2. conqistador de pollo

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bierce85
    Not true and a very common myth. Check the link...

http://www.shinybox.com/RibbonPhantom.php

Also, modern ribbons like Royers and AEAs are built to withstand high SPL sound sources. You're right that they shouldn't be placed close in front of any kind of wind producing source, but I think you're giving the wrong impression as to what a ribbon mic can be used for. As long as you have some sort of windscreen to protect them they are a great option for all of those things you mentioned (can you tell I love ribbons?)

huh, lol. wow i must admit i copied and pasted some of my class notes from way back when i went to school for this and didnt proofread all of them.

consider the quoted post to be an edit to the section on ribbon mics.
    Official Recording Tip of the month for November:

Sometimes, things just need to go to 11.

3. does not literally have 4 eyes

Hiding behind your couch, eating raisins and scribbling redrum on the back of your head

Wow this thread is extremely helpful, thanks Butnutz and all who have contributed. I'll be coming back at some point to check out more. I'm thinking of doing some recording in the future once i can afford it. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I'd need to put together a small home recording setup, but I'll ask more questions about it at a later time.

4. Registered User

Default OK Question step one....

What exactly do i need in the line of microphones, and what recording interface is going to be most economical as far as the average drummer, how much exactly am i going to need to suck up and spend for the ideal recording setup, something that you would be proud to show someone as far as sound quality, sorry know i'm throwing a lot of questions out, but i'm taking a few steps in the right direction and have a yahmaha audio workstation that may be able to do the job...not sure, and advice would be greatly appreciated

5. give me talent

Default trouble with samson co2's

i have them connected to a mixer with livewire regular mic cables. for some reason i am not receiving any sound through the mixer, as well as on the recording program (cubase) that i am using. i cannot figure this out , so any advice as to what im doing wrong will be helpful.

keep in mind that i have my snare, toms, and bass drum mic'd, and am having no problems with those; just the pencil condensers . thank you.

6. .:paranoid, but no android:.

Quote Originally Posted by A Hint Of Tragedy View Post
    i have them connected to a mixer with livewire regular mic cables. for some reason i am not receiving any sound through the mixer, as well as on the recording program (cubase) that i am using. i cannot figure this out , so any advice as to what im doing wrong will be helpful.

keep in mind that i have my snare, toms, and bass drum mic'd, and am having no problems with those; just the pencil condensers . thank you.
    Phantom Power
    Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Tay
    I can now officially say you have one of the best Sessions on the Forum...
    SMX

7. give me talent

Quote Originally Posted by SMX_Dizzy View Post
    Phantom Power
    so i googled/wikipedia'd it, and i am to understand that the condenser mics need a power source, aka phantom power? meaning i just have to connect the mics to the phantom power via cables, then to the mixer?

8. Rodgers and Jordy!!

2016 PDF FFL Regular Season Champion 11-1 Record

A++ thread. All win.
    Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    Boom stands are for sissies.

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by A Hint Of Tragedy View Post
    so i googled/wikipedia'd it, and i am to understand that the condenser mics need a power source, aka phantom power? meaning i just have to connect the mics to the phantom power via cables, then to the mixer?
    Most mixers can provide phantom power to your mics via the XLR cables you use to hook them up to the mixer itself. Cheaper and smaller mixers often just have the capability of sending phantom power to ALL your XLR channels at once, which is fine unless you have a vintage ribbon mic, which I'm betting you don't. Dynamic mics and modern ribbon mics are not affected by phantom power if you send it to them, even though they don't need it.

Nicer and bigger mixers will have a button for every 8, 4, 2 or even for each individual XLR channel to send phantom power to them.

Some mixers don't have phantom power, and if that's the case for you, you can pick up an external phantom power supply that will lie between the mic and the mixer in the signal chain.

10. Mr. Pearl

wow butnutz I just started studing this subject.I find it very interesting but very confusing at times and takes me a couple of times thru it to understand it, but Im tryin real hard to learn this stuff. I started out by buying the mixing engineers hand book second edition have read the hole thing.Then I found the "Live Sound Reinforcement" the bestseller Edition with the DVD. I'm half way thru it!!! Very good book kinda boring at first!! but it's getting better as I go!!
    The hole reason for all this reading is I bought a Yamaha 166cx mixer.(CX stands for built in effects.)but I'm sure you knew that.I also bought QSC speakers 2-K-12's and 2-K-10's with a single K-sub.
    Everything is self powered. 1,000 watts each. I thought live sound reinforcement would be a good retirement hobby or even a job!!?
    I will most definitly keep an eye on this thread and the one I came from to get here. I think what I can't get from the books I can get here on this thread.
    So thanks for helping some one just starting out in this field,It's something that someone of your caliber just doesn't normally DO.
    I was a welder for 35 years,I sure didn't let the young guys know about the easy way of doing things as opposed to doing it the hard way!! So I'm very gratefull that you will share that knowlege with us.
    thank you.
    mark w.
    Mr. Pearl
    Vintage Pearl Fiberglass;22/8/10/12/13/16,10" Pearl Mike Mangini Snare, 1975 Rogers Dynasonic COB.
    1953-54 Slingerland Radio King.
    Stagg Cymbals are super cool.
    Pearl Export Black; 22/12/13/16/14"-COS snare. Zildjian A's
    Yamaha Tour Custom; 22/10/12/16/14" 8ply Maple Snare. Zildjian A's