Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Studentenfanfare Ghent Member

Gene, one more question:

Do I always need these NP-419 washers; are they different from the standard ones? Because I have a certain feeling that getting them through Pearl Europe will be quite hard...
    My Pearl Reference in Purple Craze

My Kit

Updated Pics

2. Author of "Drum Tuning"

Well,

the first suspension mount that was offered was RIMS. There the force rests on the hoop resting on rubber washers. Never heard complaints about RIMS. The Gibraltar SC-GTS is almost the same design.

Starcast mounts have extra holes in the hoop to connect the mount.

All of those apply the force to the hoop.

Nils
    Believe me, it is "BASSDRUM", not "BASEDRUM".
    Nils' Website DER TROMMELSTIMMER
    Main Kit

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nils
    Well,

the first suspension mount that was offered was RIMS. There the force rests on the hoop resting on rubber washers. Never heard complaints about RIMS. The Gibraltar SC-GTS is almost the same design.

Starcast mounts have extra holes in the hoop to connect the mount.

All of those apply the force to the hoop.

Nils
    Hi Nils,

I never argued that other suspension systems don't sound good, and I realize that many of them let the drum rest on the hoop. I just don't see how, from an engineering point of view, resting on the top hoop for an Optimount is a better idea than resting on the lower lugs.

As argued, all suspension mounts ultimately transfer the mounting and striking forces back into the shell through the lug screws. The hoop is not solidly connected to the shell - all hoop forces either get transferred into the tension rods or into distortion of the hoop.

An angled drum has a downward component and a radial component of force at each attachment. With the Optimount, the downward component can be transferred either into the bottom lugs or into the top hoop (or both I guess).

The radial component, outward at the top lugs and inward at the lower lugs, wants to bend the tension rods toward or away from the shell. They are stronger near the lug, and less force will get transferred into the hoop if the attachments are near the lug.

That's one of the things I like most about Optimounts, they can be adjusted to minimize distortion in the hoop and the tension rods. I can't understand why anyone would want the mounting and striking forces to be transferred directly into the hoops, the most tuning sensitive part of the drum.

DW just gets it over with by grabbing only the lugs. I think this is a great idea, but because they grab only the top lugs in a line, they are less stable than the Optimounts. The Premier mounts I've seen look like the best engineered idea to me - grabbing the lugs like DW and getting some top and bottom like the Opti's.

The Optimounts are functionally, in my opinion, the second best engineered mount available behind the Premiers. But because they don't require a specifically shaped lug to be used, they are the most practical of the suspension mounts - again my opinion.

I still would like to hear from Gene (or from Pearl engineering) concerning the two different Optimount adjustment schemes. Maybe it doesn't make much difference, but keeping the mounting forces out of the hoops and the tension rods near the hoop just seems like the right thing to do.

Jeff

4. The Fight Revisited.

jbrandt, please show a picture of these Premier mounts you rave about. I don't think I've seen them...are you talking about the OLD SIGNIA mounts that connected to the tube lugs?
    Current kit - Pearl VBX Ruby Fade Outdoors
    All my previous kits - Here

5. Studentenfanfare Ghent Member

Quote Originally Posted by ironcobra8
    jbrandt, please show a picture of these Premier mounts you rave about. I don't think I've seen them...are you talking about the OLD SIGNIA mounts that connected to the tube lugs?
    Those signia drums were stunning, and the mounting idea like that was really great indeed!
    My Pearl Reference in Purple Craze

My Kit

Updated Pics

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ironcobra8
    I'm an idiot.

The mounts I was referring to are Sonor not Premier. Below is an image lifted from DrummerWorld's Tomas Haake page.

I've never owned any of these drums (Designer Series) or these mounts, but I think they are the best mount design I've seen. The attachment to the lug (not the tension rods or hoops) that is the strength of DW combined with the mount points top and bottom that is the strength of the Optimount. The best of both mounts in my opinion.

Since they are specific to Sonor lugs though, Pearl still wins the best mount award with the Optimounts, since the Optis can be used on any brand of drum as long as it has tension rods. Again, all my opinion ...

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images  

7. Drummin' 4 Decades..

Quote Originally Posted by gene okamoto
    That finish is on a kit that will be featured in the next Masterworks catalog. It was developed by Carl Peterson.
    !!!

Comet Sparkle is going to be in the next MW catalog?? Most excellent!

!!!

8. I <3 Ludwigs.

those Sonor mounts are my faves... along with DW and Ayotte. very similar. Attach to a few very secure lugs. Just my opinion, of course. I've never cared for the mounts that rely on the tension rods... like the originals. But then again, my tom mounts are screwed to the shell. But NEVER with a rod through the shell.

9. Lifetime Pearl Drummer/DT fan

Thanks Gene. Very cool read.

10. Registered User

Way off topic but....I find it disconcerting everytime I see that monolithic sonor mount on the bass drum and that metal tree trunk sprouting from it . What a contraption.

Gene thanks for the input, Im off to play with my opti's

11. Pearl Ambassador USA

grypmatthias,

The NP-419 rubber washers are made of harder rubber (but not too much harder) than the originals to give better islolation between the drum and the OptiMount.