Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930
  1. Banned

Im late with this forum topic, but the optimounts on the reference pures are aluminum, not steel. I am very impressed with the sound and resonation of the drums with the optimounts. Sweet.

2. Registered User

You sir, are so late on this topic that the rest of the surviving thread originators are too old and decrepit to play drums But back in our day, opti's where forged of heavy weight steel.

3. Registered User

I know this topic hasn't been active in a while but I though some of you might be interested in this:

Ok, here is yet another set of sound clips to compare the difference between Optimount vs. RIMS, this time on the 10" SSC tom. I acquired a Worldmax DDS system (same basic design as RIMS), and made recordings from both the top and bottom of the drum with each suspension mount. Please listen to these with good quality headphones. Here are the links:

Top head: https://soundcloud.com/aaron-faust/10tomtesttop
    Bottom head: https://soundcloud.com/aaron-faust/10tomtestbottom

Listen to these and draw your own conclusions, but here is mine. Personally I think this demo is even more conclusive than the last one with the 12" tom. To my ear, I can clearly hear an increase in the duration of the note and the strength of the midrange frequencies on both recordings with the RIMS system, but particularly the one of the bottom head. I got a 10" and 12" DDS basically for free, so I think after hearing this I am going to switch them out for the Optimounts. Again, it is not a massive difference, but it is enough to make me want to switch.

4. I'm not Lebowski; I'm the dude

I did an experiment a few years ago with my 12" toms (Pearl Ref 12x9 and Tama Artstar II 12x12). I have been using RIMS on my Artstars for over twenty years (I installed them when NO drum manufacturers had suspension mounts of their own) and the difference was like night and day.

Anyway...I REALLY wanted to hear a difference between the Opti's and RIMS on my Refs, but to be honest, I didn't.

Both drums had clear G2's over Genera Resonants and were tuned exactly the same way (tops and bottoms equal) and to the same pitch. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I did not hear any difference in regards to tone or sustain.

Maybe the RIMS are more dramatic on different drums, but I couldn't justify replacing my Opti's for several hundred dollars worth of RIMS.
    For sale!:
    13" Zildjian A Mastersound top/New Beat bot HH's
    12" Zildjian Z splash
    PM me for pricing!

Pearl Ref (SF) 8x7 10x8 12x9 14x11 16x13 22x20

Snares, Tama Artstar II Limited kit, Yamaha/Roland kit

5. Away From The World

Thanks again, Mr Okamoto.

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

6. Registered User

I know this is a very old thread, but back when it was first posted I didn't have either of the opti's. But now since I do and I have the old steel ones,
    I am experiencing choking in my Tom's. I played 12 and 13 and I've tried method that Mr. Okamoto suggested. I could tell little to no difference, I still have choking. I'm sorry but I do. Along with everything else I've read about RIMS the post that Bill F wrote made more sense to me than anything.
    So that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to RIMS.
    Action Jackson
    PEARL & PAISTE
    Drums Cymbals Signiture
    12x10T 14" Dark Crisp Hats
    13x11T 17" Full Crash 19" Full Crash
    16x16FT 20" Giant Beat Multi Functional
    24x18BD 21" Dry Heavy Ride
    14x6 TAMA Starphonic B.N. Steel

7. Registered User

Good threads never die! I was a young man back when I was experimenting with optis.
    Having the toms more tabletop level helps, but I've found my choke issues largely where due to the die cast hoops.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bill f View Post
    I, personally, like a full and open tone with lasting sustain in all situations. To each his own.
    All I ask is that my toms sound the same when mounted as they sound when they are off the stands with no mounts attached. I get that with RIMS. I don't get that with Opti-Mounts.
    Absolutely!! Couldn't agree more.
    Action Jackson
    PEARL & PAISTE
    Drums Cymbals Signiture

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lavo View Post
    Good threads never die! I was a young man back when I was experimenting with optis.
    Having the toms more tabletop level helps, but I've found my choke issues largely where due to the die cast hoops.
    Well, that makes sense to, but I have super hoops on my master custom extra and I still have plenty of choke. I mean look, this whole thread is going round and round about OPTi's versus rims, and I can't for the life of me figure out why the skeptics won't try the other side of the fence. I mean it seems like whoever has tried rims have pretty much been converted. I'm not saying go out and buy a whole set of rims for your kit, just go and buy one or two and try them.
    I mean the proof is in the pudding, and you can take all of this engineer crap and throw it out the window. All everyone's been saying is to try the RIMS.
    You hide in all that bull ****, what's the matter you afraid you might like what you hear? The last part of this post is directly aimed at jpc.
    Action Jackson
    PEARL & PAISTE
    Drums Cymbals Signiture

10. Registered User

Hey guys,
    I need quick help with my optis.
    I bought the Superhoops and now the top rims can't rest on the top cushins anymore.
    Any ideas how I can align the cushins now?

11. Registered User

This is what I came up with so far when using super hoops

Name:  IMG_20161002_180539.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  93.3 KB