Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    I'd be hesitant to use anything acidic or abrasive on the Paiste lacquer finish. Of course, if the finish has already been compromised, I'd use whatever works.

Back to cymbals with the lacquer coating in tact. About 20 years ago, I purchased a product called Saluda cymbal cleaner polish. It worked great and I bought a second bottle. When I went to purchase a third bottle, I learned that they were no longer making the cleaner. I did get to speak with someone at Saluda who had knowledge of the product. He told me that the primary ingredient was mineral oil (baby oil). Over the years I've tried many products, but keep going back to mineral oil. The latest product I tried was advertised in Modern Drummer about a year or two ago. It's called Drum Muff Miracle and the ad said it was made for cymbals that have a lacquer coating. I bought a bottle. It worked fine but the primary ingredient was mineral oil.
    Most of the mineral oils I've found are food grade mineral oil a lot of them are used for kitchen tools. I've found one on amazon(don't even know where else I could get it) wich seems pretty legit and easy to use. Also, when I re-looked on the photos you posted it actually says "CONTAINS: Food grade mineral oil". So I guess it should be fine?

2. Registered User

I don't use zildjian cymbals due to bad experiences, and only used Paiste 2002 for 41 years.
    But, zildjian cymbal cleaner is the best commercial cymbal cleaner I've used.
    I used to only use baking soda and lemons, using the rind for the abrasive, really didn't need baking soda, lemons did well without it.
    Ketchup works well, so does Coca Cola.
    But, I don't like to clean them, cymbals sound better with age and patina. I've actually regretted cleaning them because they sounded better before cleaning.
    Most studio drummers don't clean and or polish their cymbals.
    If you're doing shows, clean shiny cymbals look great and the sound difference isn't as noticeable or as important as in the studio.
    But in the end it comes down to what you prefer.
    Myself, I prefer sound over looks, so shiny cymbals don't matter to me even though my drum set and cymbals are over ten grand. I'm after sound not looks.
    Tama Star Walnut 8 piece set with matching snare, and Paiste 2002 and a couple other Paiste models around 18 cymbals depending on what I'm doing.
    I'm just giving my experiences.
    Heinz Ketchup, Coke, and zildjian cymbal cleaner are the only things I use.
    Remember, I said it all comes down to what you prefer.

3. Hot **** Tamale!

What about Zildjian Ks? Same process?
    K3ith R

Pearl MCX/280 - 8x7,10x8,12x9, 13x9, 14x14,16x16,18x22
    Zildjian As, Ks, / Vic Firth 5A, Vater Mike Johnston model

4. life start at 125bpm

heinz ketchup,coca cola..........seriously ?

ahummmm...if true, i will never EVER AGAIN ingest any of those very,very popular products........supposed to be ate!!!!!!!!!
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

5. Registered User

It's all sugar, anyway. Sugar = BAD

6. Registered User

This stuff is amazing. Just got a new 20 HHX evo crash and when I put it on my kit, I noticed just how tarnished the rest of my cymbals were. I did some research online and came across a video using this spray foam. I picked some up and applied it, then rinsed with water and bingo, all the tarnish was gone!! They look practically brand new!

I did a side by side comparison to better showthe results.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

7. Playing since 1976

Bar Keeper's Friend works great in my bathroom. I will try it next time I have to clean off the oxidation, but it is equally a noxious as my other cymbal cleaning formula.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Bar Keeper's Friend works great in my bathroom. I will try it next time I have to clean off the oxidation, but it is equally a noxious as my other cymbal cleaning formula.
    What do you use?

I still need to give them a good polish, which I always shyed away from because getting around the logos was almost impossible. Now with this, it makes it so much easier.

9. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by TWH View Post
    What do you use?

I still need to give them a good polish, which I always shyed away from because getting around the logos was almost impossible. Now with this, it makes it so much easier.
    I use either Kick-n-Brass spray (diluted 1 bottle of water with 1 bottle of the K-N-B) OR the old Sabian spray for brilliant cymbals, diluted the same way. The Sabian spray is discontinued, but I still have some left. They both work well, but both make me choke, even in well-ventilated areas (obviously not well ventilated enough lol).
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

10. life start at 125bpm

^^^^

been back with brazzo after my last bottle of sabian cleaner......it gets me a nice brillant finish, but it,s time consuming. looking again for something faster than brazzo ; will try to find this kick'n'brass cleaner.......wonder what's the difference between the regular and GRUNGE version?
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

11. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    ^^^^

been back with brazzo after my last bottle of sabian cleaner......it gets me a nice brillant finish, but it,s time consuming. looking again for something faster than brazzo ; will try to find this kick'n'brass cleaner.......wonder what's the difference between the regular and GRUNGE version?
    The Grunge version is stronger, and meant for more heavily corroded cymbals, especially traditional-finish cymbals with deeper grooves. If you're keeping up with cleaning, no need for the Grunge formula... even the plain Kick-n-Brass is too strong for me... that's why I cut in half with water.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

12. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    The Grunge version is stronger, and meant for more heavily corroded cymbals, especially traditional-finish cymbals with deeper grooves. If you're keeping up with cleaning, no need for the Grunge formula... even the plain Kick-n-Brass is too strong for me... that's why I cut in half with water.
    tried to find it out at my local musc store this morning.no luck, will order directly from the KNB webstore. they have a shipping deal,only 1 dollar added to each extra bottle. i plan to order 5 bottles.will last me couple years,even more once diluted 50-50
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    sabian HHX's/AAX's