Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Exploring the beat world !

Quote Originally Posted by steviethunders
    All custom companies use Keller shells. I really don't think one can be underrated, considering there are hundreds and hundreds of custom companies that no one has heard of.

They do not sound bad at all, I played an SJC before and the Keller shells sound fantastic. I'm just saying a custom company can't be underrated since they ALL use the same shells.

Udrum does their own shell, same as Luka percussion, joshua tree percussion, monolith drums, Odery, lignum drums, FVF and many more. Even some use Eames or highwood shell...

Not ALL custom drum companies use keller. Get your facts right before posting. You should have used the term "most" custom drums companies use keller...
    CURRENTLY PLAYING: TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN

Member of: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion Army

maniac0796: Doesn't matter with Remo. By the time you realize they had coating, it'll be gone.

2. Registered User

I would say Mapex, RMV, Gretsch and Gibraltar's hardware.

3. Banned

rmv

4. Registered User

premier... not many big name drummers have been using them lately...

also taye gets a bad rap because of thier prices...and alot of people think they are a strictly beginner company

5. Mapex.Sabian

Gretsch not to many people look into thier higher end stuff (renowns and above), mapex, taye.
    :eek: My kit :eek:
    Mapex M Birch 5054

RIP JORDAN TERRIS
    RIP DANIEL CLAPP

6. Mooderator

Quote Originally Posted by MIND_DRUMMER

Udrum does their own shell, same as Luka percussion, joshua tree percussion, monolith drums, Odery, lignum drums, FVF and many more. Even some use Eames or highwood shell...

Not ALL custom drum companies use keller. Get your facts right before posting. You should have used the term "most" custom drums companies use keller...
    Fibes is another ... they went from using Jasper-made shells to making their own, using the same specs as Jasper.

7. Registered User

Yamaha and Mapex

8. Registered User

Richy Castillero Drums from Cuba! They make very high-quality drums which cost less than the big names (i.e. Pearl, Yamaha) and sound just as good, if not better. For instance my RC Mahagony Series III kit cost about $600 with hardware and no cymbals, and I chose it over a Yamaha Stage Custom and a Pearl Export, which both cost around $1000 (remember I live in Guatemala). Although the shells are Luan, they still sounded much better to me than those two kits. I never once regret having bought my RC and not a Stage Custom, which I would have clearly chosen over an Export. It's not just kits, but also snare drums. I had about $250 in my hand and I was looking for a new snare drum. After trying out the Pearl 13X3 steel and maple piccolos and a Pearl 14X6.5 brass sensitone (the last generation model), I came across some 14X5.5 RC snare drums which came in Birch, Maple and Mahagony. After trying out all three, I was convinced that the Maple snare sounded best, and I bought it for $190, whereas all the Pearl snares would have cost me well over $200 and not sounded as good or sported the same features. And what did I get for my $190? 7-plies of Maple with die-cast hoops, 10 tube lugs and a beautiful bordeaux red stain laquer finish. See for yourselves:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

9. HighWood Drums UK

as some prat just said this about us in the show your kits section.. im going to say Highwood

"gosh, there are waaaaaay too many custom drum companies out there! why does everyone with some maple and a lathe think they can start their own drum company? "highwood" probably gets their shells from the same place as every other company, the only thing making them special is probably some slightly different finish choices. ugh!"

im sick of people (mainly guys in the USA, sorry chaps) lumping us in with the Keller builders... there is nothing wrong with kellers but we have genuinly been doing something different for 2 years making ply shells out of other & exotic woods in order to give the clients true cutsom options YET as soon as i post a picture of a drum i get

"ohh its just a keller shell with a finish on it"
    "another drum company doing the same as the rest"

etc etc etc arghhhhhhhh!!!!! they dont even look at them or reaserch who we are & what we do.

find me a keller builder who can offer ply shells in the woods we do... i ****ing dare you!!!

p.s im sorry for the rant

My genuine answer to this would be Taye.

they dont get as much exposure as they deserve, esp in Europe, i think companies like Gretsch & ludwig produce mainly crap now its nothing different, Mapex are drowning the UK with drums & marketing, Sonor are not as appreciated as they should be & premier are actually making decent drums again but are still run by morons.

Gareth

www.highwooddrums.co.uk - Custom Drums, Bespoke Drums, Handmade drums - basically we make drums.
    www.drumbuilder.co.uk - Uk drum building supply store, shells, parts, wraps & accessories all available to buy online.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/HighWo...ms/18848213636

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Bierce85
    Pearl. You guys don't see it because this is a Pearl forum, but Pearls are probably the most trash-talked, ignored brand among "drum afficianado's". They are one of the most popular brands in the world, but people "in the know" seem to think there's something wrong with them. I was in the same boat until I played a BRX. That kit changed my mind forever. If it wasent for my affinity for the Sonor company I'd go for Pearl in a second.
    i think there is a difference between "loved by all" and underated. just because there is an elite group that would prefer something other than the mainstream. that is like saying Pearl Jam is underated because all the indie rockers don't like them.

11. Registered User

Sonors really arent underrated. Whenever they're actually talked about you rarely hear anything but rave reviews. Some call them too pricey and/or overengineered, but that's about it.
    Actually, when you consider their quality vs their popularity I believe they are EXTREMELY underrated

12. Pinoy Drummer

Premier...
    ---------------------------------------------
    !MY MRX! (CLICK)
    ---------------------------------------------
    myspace page
    friendster profile
    youtube videos
    soundclick homepage