Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. A draaaaank

I don't think there's really a secret trick to going faster, but there are a number of factors that could influence it.

Spring tension is a big one. I prefer mine looser so I can play longer with less effort, but some people like it tighter so the pedal comes back to your foot faster ready for the next stroke.

Beater distance is another factor. The further away you have it, the further you have to go to hit the head (though you may get more power this way).

I've found that the height of the beater can also make a big difference. I've found that the lower you set it, the more controllable the bass drum feels, but you will lose some power.

Throne height is probably the biggest one for me. I used to sit with my legs parallel to the floor but now I sit slightly higher, so my legs are facing slightly downwards. I've found that it's easier to play ankles this way, and it's easier to get a steeper foot angle when playing heel-up.

So I'd go for: A lower footboard angle, medium spring tension (not loose but not tight), the beater would strike just above the mid point of the bass drum, and have the beaters at about a 40-45 degree angle.

This is just what I've found through experimenting, it won't work for everyone, but give it a try. Hope that helps.
    Tama Drums, Hardware and Pedals
    Zildjian/Sabian Cymbals

jt-ocdp and Kill.Joy R.I.P :(

Lefty Drummer :cool:

2. Registered User

I play heal up.

3. Registered User

Thanks again for all the input. I am taking all your advice and just kinda expiramenting. Im sure ill find a good feel in sometime. It did take me a few months to get my drum set tuned and arranged correctly.

4. mope the onion

there´s not 1 setup for speed.. there´s just 1 setup for you.. whatever feels comfortable to you...

5. ɔıuɐd ʇ,uop

there is also one othr factor that you could try that all people in the WFD do to the double peddle when setting them up. well they dont have any thing on an angle there pedals are both parrallel to each other because you find that some of your energy is wasted in the bends of the pipe connecting up the pedals. it only a minor thing but the WFD find it very important thought you might like to know aswell.
    Dannyo

Quote Originally Posted by Maark View Post
    I'd say happy birthday, but eh, he's just Dan.

6. ɔıuɐd ʇ,uop

also i saw a video of virgil donnati doing double on his double pedal and his pedals were in parralell with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Maark View Post
    I'd say happy birthday, but eh, he's just Dan.

7. Eat,Sleep,Dream,Drums.

Quote Originally Posted by skatermattc2
    I have the dw 7000 double bass pedals and was wondering besids fast legs, the best way to setup my pedals to be quick. Like in terms of beater height/distance from the head, spring tightness, type of beater, or any other clever ideas to make my pedals quick. Or maybe throne height to. Any info will help, thanks.
    there are not that many things on DW pedals that are required. i would set the tension loose to start with and then work the tension up till you feel it balance with the weight of the beater you are useing. second set the beater angle so that you have a 5" stroke from the beater to the batter head. you can mount the pedal to your bass drum. use a metal measure tape to judge the beater distance from the head. DW beaters tend to be top heavy at the beater head. you may also consider a different beater to see how that changes the feel for you. an IC beater might be a good alternative. although i have not used an IC beater on the DW's.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Flying Over Rio
    https://soundcloud.com/rico7
    https://open.spotify.com/track/3lceIGs8j4A4MSZXRYdXFw
    Tama SC Bubinga in Galaxy Chameleon Sparkle.
    Axis A21 Sabre Dbl pedal
    DW MCD Twin pedal
    Paiste Cymbals

8. Eat,Sleep,Dream,Drums.

this from an old 2003 post Gene reply to an Eliminator user but some of these tips from Mike Mangini might help. some- thing overlooked at times is the roll that the bass drum settings play in bass pedal response.
    V
    Gene Okamoto
    Try these suggestions from Mike Mangini:

Mike uses Eliminator BELT drive pedals with RED CAMS and the PowerShifter heel in the middle position.

Mike recommends:
    1) Raise the spurs on the kick drum so that the head is closer to the beaters.
    2) If needed, lower the beaters so that the shaft has about 4 inches showing.
    3) If needed, Pearl makes a smaller plastic beater, but the Eliminator Beaters work just fine.
    4) Crank the springs as much as you need.
    5) Set the batter head more dead so that the beaters don't bounce back too much.

Mike comments:
    Those settings will help the drummer play blast beats a
    little easier, but the pedals will not have much velocity and the kicks will absolutely need to be triggered otherwise the sound will be extremely light on a normal bass drum. I can hit these speeds without changing my Eliminator Belt Drive Pedals, but I cannot sound "big" because the beaters don't come back very far. In order to sound bigger, I have to flex my entire body, and it makes me feel like I'd blow up a hemorrhoid. When I try to play that fast the normal 'full stroke' way I play, I cannot play nearly that fast. A choice must be made obviously on what kind of drummer one wants to be.
    Flying Over Rio
    Axis A21 Sabre Dbl pedal
    DW MCD Twin pedal
    Paiste Cymbals

9. GOOD 'N YOU?

Quote Originally Posted by Somen
    wouldnt it be cool if pedals had settings like slow, medium, fast, faster, death metal fast, ludicrous speed...
    that's like the volume 11 on a guitarists amp
    Pork Pie Little Squealers (refinished) 22x20, 12x9, 16x16.
    Ludwig Classic Birch Snare 14x7
    14" New Beats, 20" A Medium Ride, 24" Dream Bliss Ride

10. Eat,Sleep,Dream,Drums.

and i might add i think Mike Mangini beat out some Axis users at WFD. unless i am wrong?
    Flying Over Rio
    Axis A21 Sabre Dbl pedal
    DW MCD Twin pedal
    Paiste Cymbals

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by skatermattc2
    I have the dw 7000 double bass pedals and was wondering besids fast legs....

Try using your ankles instead of your legs.

12. Mmmmm, this IS a tasty burger.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohorton
    and i might add i think Mike Mangini beat out some Axis users at WFD. unless i am wrong?
    Pedals don't make the drummer. I think the reason Mike Mangini beat Axis users is because hes Mike mangini, not because of his brand of pedals.

Try using your ankles instead of your legs.
    Ankles may let you do a very quick burst of speed for a very short time, but you won't get the control and most likely wouldn't be able to hold it as long if you use your legs.