Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Question best way to setup double bass pedals for speed?

I have the dw 7000 double bass pedals and was wondering besids fast legs, the best way to setup my pedals to be quick. Like in terms of beater height/distance from the head, spring tightness, type of beater, or any other clever ideas to make my pedals quick. Or maybe throne height to. Any info will help, thanks.

2. whips your behind with a belt

it doesnt really matter. some drummers sit high and some sit low, and the same with their pedals.tight/ loose. It really depends on what you like. For instance, I keep my pearl kick pedal springs very tight, i sit at the height where my knees are bent at a 90 degree angle, i always set my beater to hit 1-2 inches above the middle of the head. It all depends on the drummer!!

3. whips your behind with a belt

i dont really think there are settings for speed.

4. registered spendaholic

there isnt any magic trick for getting fast. its all about practice and techniqe (sp?) i have my springs loose, i sit at the same height as heldedded, and same for the beater angle.

5. VV MRS.HOTFOOT VV

uh, the only thing that is going to make you faster, is by practicing.
    Sure your pedal may allow you to play faster than a budget gibraltar pedal, but It's really all up to you.
    I have found Encyclopedia of Double bass Drumming to be the best book for me in terms of learning double bass. But there are many ways to learn to rip it up,unfortunatly it's not from setting up your pedals a certain way.
    It'll take time man, and there is no way around it.
    Play along to Pantera or something that has fast but not too fast double bass for starters and when you have the stamina, go to some other bands that will make learning more fun for u.
    I have been playing double bass for at least 8 years out of my 11 years playing drums, and I still need to practice almost everyday on doublebass just to be able to keep up and enjoy it.
    Good luck man and don't get discouraged.

6. Registered User

Thanks for the help youall. I think I need to get off the computer and start practicing.

7. The Drum Machine

wouldnt it be cool if pedals had settings like slow, medium, fast, faster, death metal fast, ludicrous speed...

8. Mmmmm, this IS a tasty burger.

While some people here are saying that the settings don't matter, they do. I've found that tighter springs will let you go faster than super loose ones. That way the footboard will keep up with your feet when it rebounds after a stroke. Your seat should be to the point where your legs make a 90 degree angle at the knee. Also, I've found that when I've taken my Iron Cobra beaters and put the weights at the highest position, it helps me gain speed as well.

I use a technique known as "Flat-foot" and I have my spring tension as high as it will go (Iron Cobra Power Glide). For a good instructional video, look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbhAe...0foot%20bostic

9. Registered User

wow thanks slrchs07. Makes sense about the food boards keeping up with your feet. That video was a great help too. Thanks I really appreciate it.

10. whips your behind with a belt

settings matter to the player. what works for tasty burgerer might not work for tasty hamwich

11. Proud to play fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Somen
    wouldnt it be cool if pedals had settings like slow, medium, fast, faster, death metal fast, ludicrous speed...
    Ludicrous speed!

\m/
    Check out my playing here: http://www.hardaxe.net/bands/141/

Pearl Masters MMX
    Axis Longboards
    Zildjian
    Vic Firth

www.ShadowDemon.us

12. The one real WhiteBoy

Spring tension and pedal board height depends on your technique. Do you play heel-toe? If you do, I find that a slightly low pedal board with fairly tight springs works well for me at least.
    Jesus loves me...and YOU too