Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. KISS ARMY

Default Removing Green marks from cymbals... Oxidisation?>>??

ha......

so there are some green patches on my ride and i wanna remove them without harming my cymbal, hard to explain but if its happened to you you'll know what i mean...

cymbal has been in a pretty damp area for a few weeks.

any cleaners or techniques for removing this, my cymbal looks like its gone bad and has mould on it!!!
    KISS ARMY

Quote Originally Posted by David Lee Roth
    Sometimes I feel like Iím holding Sammy Hagar by his head and heís swinging at me, but his arms donít reach. And Iím eating a sandwich.

2. yes

sponge? it might just be mold, either that or tarnish. try brasso
    The DIY Bass Drum Trainer! HERE

3. Registered User

DO NOT USE BRASSO!! Look under PDF University on how to clean your cymbals. You'll find many different opinions on what works the best.

4. RLRR LRLL

theyre gonna be hard to remove, your right its oxidation on the bronze....the statue of liberty is all bronze and since it was exposed to the elements it turned its familiar green...i dont know much about chemestry but id say some sort of acid if your willing to expose your cymbal to that
    .Express Yourself.

Carter Beauford.

Audio Ecstacy

5. lolerz too HxC for u

I beleive there is no way to reverse oxidization. Its not like you can remove the moisture that is now embedded in the metal. Thats why you have to keep your cymbals dry
    Put this in your sig if you love AAXplosion crashes!!!!!!

My Kit

Support the artists.
    Put this in your signature if you actually buy music

6. Registered User

Use the manufacturers recommended cleaner and your elbow and it will get rid of all of the dirt grime and green.

The photos are the same cymbal
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Dave

For all my daily & weekly drum madness, including details on the Craviotto collection and the stories behind them -
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/DaveBatemansShed

Twitter - @DaveBDrums

7. Registered User

I have several cymbals which were green that I've cleaned and look pristine now
    Dave

For all my daily & weekly drum madness, including details on the Craviotto collection and the stories behind them -
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/DaveBatemansShed

Twitter - @DaveBDrums

8. Yamahore

I followed the link to your kit page and all your cymbals seem relativly new. This means they will all have a thin, clear lacquer coating to protect them from oxidation, over time this coating wears away and mositure gets underneith this lacquer and causes oxidation in the form of the green marks you see today.

In order to remove the green marks you will also need to remove the clear lacquer so there isn't much harm in using Brasso and it will be quicker than a cymbal cleaner, if you would prefer to use cymbal cleaner get one which is quite strong like groove juice otherwise you will be there for a while.

Don't scrub too hard at the logos or you will take them off (unless you want that) finally keep in mind that any oxidation in the future will occur quickly because the protective finish has now been removed.

9. Some Internet Guy

I usually keep the bags my cymbals come in and just cover them up with those. That has worked pretty well.

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I have several cymbals which were green that I've cleaned and look pristine now
    Dave, please tell me how you cleaned your cymbals, the oxidation in particular. Thank you Rick2stix

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rick2stix View Post
    Dave, please tell me how you cleaned your cymbals, the oxidation in particular. Thank you Rick2stix
    This thread is 15 years old and Dave hasn't visited the forum in over a year.

I wouldn't hold my breath for an answer if I were you.

12. Registered User

Dave's not here, man.