Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Stuyou
    That looks like the first generation Renown Maple - I have one. They are identifiable as follows: 1. Badge just says Gretsch, 2. Virgin Bass drum AND 6 lug flanged hoops on 10" & 12" toms, 3. The inside of the shells are painted silver. The big thing to remember is that at the time your kit was sold higher end kits had all the above features except they had 5 lug die-cast hoops on the 10" & 12" toms.

If you ask this question on Drumforum.org you will get a very thorough response. There are members there that are HUGE Gretsch afficionatos as well as Tommy Wells who has been a Gretsch endorsee for 20+ years. They were very helpful to me when I purchased my Gretsh set.
    Oh and by the way the bass drum is custom ordered (size 20x18) so the original might not have been undrilled. Its not my kit BTW.

2. Registered User

Newer ones say "Renown"....back in 2000 & 2001 they did not.

Your set is probably a "Renown".

3. Registered User

20x18 was a standard size in 2001

4. Registered User

Well the owner said it was custom ordered. Also it has a rosewood LAQUER, does this suggest anything?

5. dracubot from f.u.t.u.r.e.

It looks like an older renown, but the badge and the "custom order", along with the rosewood lacquer tell me usa custom. That could possibly be a very expensive set.
    Arat, tat, tat. Bop!
    MRX, sabian, zildjian, whatever sounds awesome.

6. Registered User

Cheers guys. The owner claims the shells are definately made in the US. Im soooo confused!!

7. Registered User

My drumset looks EXACTLY like yours except it is blue laquer and has a 22x18

USA custom drumsets have always had 5 lug die-cast hoops on 10" & 12" toms.

Renowns from the early 2000's looked JUST LIKE YOURS.

20x18 was and is a standard Renown bassdrum size - you do not need to custom order them.

That color was a standard color in the Renown Maple line in the early 2000's

It is a VERY good set...but not worth the same price as a USA custom.

8. Registered User

Thanks alot. Can anyone add to this?...

9. Registered User

Does the snare strainer have a rubber tip on the end of the throw-off lever? Renowns do...and I believe USA customs use the "Lightning Strainer". I do not believe the Lightning Strainer has rubber on it....I could be wrong on this though.

10. Registered User

I only have these pics for reference, so im not sure. Oh and if you look into the bass drum through the hole it looks silver to me, this makes it a renown does it not?

11. Registered User

Renowns in this era had silver sealer - so yes it could. USA customs have silver sealer as well. The big identification factor to me is the 6 lug toms.

12. Registered User

Oh i see. What does the 6 lugs mean it is?