Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

cool kits guys!
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (><) POSITIVE REP ME AND ILL REP YOU BACK! :D
    Pretty much 70% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 30% who hasn't, put this in your signature.

2. Author of "Drum Tuning"

Quote Originally Posted by korch
    Yeah, I wish I had a 26" bass like Bonham. Unfortunately the BLX never came in that size. As far as converting a floor tom into a bass drum, I saw yours, and I love it. That little kit is super cool.
    Thank you.

I have a Pearl 14" x 6.5" brass free floating snare. I was thinking maybe that and the 24" bass drum together with my 16" floor, and my 13" tom would make a nice powerful rock kit for gigs. I have all the extra hardware, the snare and the bass drum in cases already. I'll I'd need to do is take the 13" and 16" from my regular kit when gigging. It's a thought.
    That sounds like a plan to me .

What really upsets me, is I had an extra 10", 12" and 16" BLX that I sold on eBay because I was out of work a few years ago, and really needed the cash. I wish I never sold those drums. I only did so, because I already had those sizes, and figured I didn't need two of each. I wish I had a time machine, and could stop myself from selling them. I didn't even get much for them. I think they went for between $60 and $80 each. The extra floor is that one that really kills me..... that would have made an awesome bass drum, kind of like your 18".
    Thats a really sad story. BLXs are rare on ebay, because most of the owners like them too much to sell them.

BTW: there is an audio file of the drum technician who served Bonham in the 70s. He explains the bonham sound tuning in detail.
    Roughly it is coated Ambassadors as resos and coated Emperors as batters. Resos tightened up snaredrum-like and the find the zone with the batter.

Nils
    Believe me, it is "BASSDRUM", not "BASEDRUM".
    Nils' Website DER TROMMELSTIMMER
    Main Kit

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nils
    BTW: there is an audio file of the drum technician who served Bonham in the 70s. He explains the bonham sound tuning in detail.
    Roughly it is coated Ambassadors as resos and coated Emperors as batters. Resos tightened up snaredrum-like and the find the zone with the batter.

Nils
    Thanks for the info. I already use Emperors on top and Ambassadors on the bottom.... but unfortunately they are clear. Thanks for the info.... I'll need to try that someday.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush
    #300 Champagne Lacquer, over Birds Eye Maple (available only on CZX )

yours is the best looking kit i have ever seen......period!!!

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Eirik75
    Sheer Blue...

i really like your blx too man, i want a blx so bad!!!

6. Author of "Drum Tuning"

^^^^ A twin to Thrush's kit!
    Main Kit

7. Registered User

I've been begging my friend to take pics of his kit and post it here. He just started playing drums, and asked me what kind of kit to get. We found some awesome BLXs on eBay at great prices.... and he is now the owner of a Piano black BLX kit consisting of a 22" bass, 12", 13", 14", 15" toms, and a 16" floor. It is a beauty. He said he will send me some pics soon, and I will post them. He also just picked up a nice maple 14" x 8" maple snare with lugs that look almost identical to the BLXs. Hopefully I'll some pics soon.

8. Author of "Drum Tuning"

Very lucky buy! And a 14*8 snare, frightening. Weird sizes, though.
    Main Kit

9. Registered User

He sent me some pics last night.... here they are. Note: he doesn't have room to mount the 14" and 15" right now. What is setup is the 12", 13" 16", with 22" bass and a 14" x 8" snare.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

10. Registered User

What's real neat, is all this stuff was bought off of eBay at great prices.... including all the Sabian cymbals, Axis Pedal, and Gibralter throne with back rest. The drums are in great shape. I think he got the 5 piece you see in the picture (minus the maple snare, but with a Pearl metal snare) for $500 or so. Then he picked up the 14" and 15" toms for only $60 each or so. The maple snare is 8" deep, and is from Sunlite. He got that beauty for only $60. I could only imagine what a kit that nice would cost brand new today.

Here's more pics.

11. Registered User

One last pic. A closeup of one of the unmounted toms to show the great condition of these drums.

12. Author of "Drum Tuning"

Awesome. Very good buy. Congratulations to the young man.
    Main Kit