Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ron "The Sledge"
    Oliver, is that a 10, 12, 13, 14, 16 set-up with 22 inch kick? Looks great! I've only got the 13, 16, and 22 with a 10 inch MMX to round out the kit as a 5 piece. (Which I will redundantly post an old photo. New pics will happen soon.)
    Ron - no, it's a 8-10-12-14-16FT-22BD combo - I got it from ebay about a year ago and I love this kit (follow the MLX-link in my sig).

I'd love to find a MLX 18FT in Liquid Amber - there have been some MLXs around in #114 but it seems to be quite seldom that someone sells a single 18FT...

I have a video from TV where Dennis Chambers is playing a 10-12-13-14-16-18-22 MLX in #114 (together with the Brecker Brothers and Mike Stern) and if I don't stop viewing it again and again it will be worn out in some weeks... so inspiring to see him playin my (our) kit...

2. 6 Decades on Pearl

I already viewed the link. Loved the rest of the pics. What kind of heads are you using on the tom batters? I use clear G2's on top and clear G1's on the bottom. I'm considering EC2's for the batters or coated heads. I feel like the laquered interior adds a lot of top end to these shells. Do you agree?
    "I want you to boogie my woogie 'til my face turns cherry red."
    ~Rose Marie McCoy's song "Cherry Red"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF97EEaXsyc

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ron "The Sledge"
    I already viewed the link. Loved the rest of the pics. What kind of heads are you using on the tom batters? I use clear G2's on top and clear G1's on the bottom. I'm considering EC2's for the batters or coated heads. I feel like the laquered interior adds a lot of top end to these shells. Do you agree?
    these are RMV Original (coated single-ply) - compareable to (coated) G1s or Ambassadors. Have you listened to the clip with the toms? They sound so delicious...

I personally don't like all the 2-ply-heads on toms - sound to muffled for me, and I think with single-ply-heads you can really hear what quality (or not) your drums have - but that again is only me...

The laquer sure adds some top-end (more on the BLX, but that again might also be the birch) - they are projecting quite good in a live situation. Some drum-techs back in the early 90s said this laquer has to be sanded out of the drums to sound good - well, they sound good as they are and only a fool would do this to almost vintage drums (classics they are anyway).

4. 6 Decades on Pearl

I may try some G1's. I like Richie Hayward's playing a lot and he has urged me to use single ply heads the few times I got to talk to him. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe soon.
    "I want you to boogie my woogie 'til my face turns cherry red."
    ~Rose Marie McCoy's song "Cherry Red"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF97EEaXsyc

5. Author of "Drum Tuning"

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver_Stein
    The laquer sure adds some top-end (more on the BLX, but that again might also be the birch) - they are projecting quite good in a live situation. Some drum-techs back in the early 90s said this laquer has to be sanded out of the drums to sound good - well, they sound good as they are and only a fool would do this to almost vintage drums (classics they are anyway).
    !!! So true.
    Believe me, it is "BASSDRUM", not "BASEDRUM".
    Nils' Website DER TROMMELSTIMMER
    Main Kit

6. Registered User

I have the Sheer blue. A buddy of mine has the Piano Black which are super nice, and there was also an Arctic White. Here's my kit:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

7. Author of "Drum Tuning"

What a gorgeous kit.
    Main Kit

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nils
    What a gorgeous kit.
    Mine? If so, thanks Nils.

9. Author of "Drum Tuning"

Quote Originally Posted by korch
    Mine? If so, thanks Nils.
    Yes, yours. I love it even more everytime I see it. Especially the 3rd bassdrum is killer.
    Main Kit

10. Registered User

Yes, yours. I love it even more everytime I see it. Especially the 3rd bassdrum is killer.
    Thanks..... it's funny you mention the third bass drum.... I am currently debating selling it and using the money to buy another drumset. I was thinking of getting a Pacific FS since they are on sale for $399 (US) right now. I was figuring this bass drum and an extra snare I have lying around would pay for the entire kit.

I was thinking of getting the other kit for gigging small clubs and to possibly give to one of my kids someday, when they are ready for a kit of their own.

On the other hand I know how hard it is to find BLX drums, expecially a 24" sheer blue bass drum. It does sound great.

I am torn..... my other idea, is to keep the snare and bass drum, and to keep looking for extra toms and floor toms to build another kit usign the 24" bass drum..... kind of a 4 piece John Bonham like kit.

I'm not sure which way to go at this point.

11. Author of "Drum Tuning"

Well, a Bonham like kit would be really nice, although he had a 26" kick.

I built my small clubs gigging kit out of an 18" converted floor and some smaller toms. Don't you have a big floortom in your kit that would fit?
    BTW: It is no problem to use it as floor again.
    Main Kit

12. Registered User

Well, a Bonham like kit would be really nice, although he had a 26" kick.

I built my small clubs gigging kit out of an 18" converted floor and some smaller toms. Don't you have a big floortom in your kit that would fit?
    BTW: It is no problem to use it as floor again.
    Yeah, I wish I had a 26" bass like Bonham. Unfortunately the BLX never came in that size. As far as converting a floor tom into a bass drum, I saw yours, and I love it. That little kit is super cool.

I have a Pearl 14" x 6.5" brass free floating snare. I was thinking maybe that and the 24" bass drum together with my 16" floor, and my 13" tom would make a nice powerful rock kit for gigs. I have all the extra hardware, the snare and the bass drum in cases already. I'll I'd need to do is take the 13" and 16" from my regular kit when gigging. It's a thought.

What really upsets me, is I had an extra 10", 12" and 16" BLX that I sold on eBay because I was out of work a few years ago, and really needed the cash. I wish I never sold those drums. I only did so, because I already had those sizes, and figured I didn't need two of each. I wish I had a time machine, and could stop myself from selling them. I didn't even get much for them. I think they went for between $60 and $80 each. The extra floor is that one that really kills me..... that would have made an awesome bass drum, kind of like your 18".