Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 93 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394 LastLast
Results 1,105 to 1,116 of 1123
  1. Registered User

My new BLX in Sequoia Red. 10,12,13,16,22. In the queue for restoration & may be used as my touring kit

fullsizeoutput_1178 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    Yamaha Recording Custom 10,12,13,16,22 in Cherry Red
    Pearl Masters Premium Maple "Redline" in 12, 16, 22. Black on Black.
    Premier Projector MK1. 12,13,16,22 in Piano Black
    Endorser for Scymtek Cymbals & The London Drumstick Company.

2. Registered User

Hello! I'm looking for a BLX LB-30 floor tom bracket stop lock which is part number "2-B". I've searched the interwebs high and low with no luck. Anyone have any clues where to source one? There's a guy on facebook in the Pearl BLX group who posted a few months ago about having a machinist make some and I sent a PM to him but no response. In his original post on FB he said minimum order needed to be 150 of them and no idea if they ever got made or not. Any help appreciated!

Oh, and this is my first post here I have a piano black BLX (13/16/22) being shipped to me and should arrive around the 24th. My plan is to strip it down and clean her all up (any concerns with lugs breaking if I remove them??). I know it's missing one floor leg bracket stop and hoping to find one. Happy Holidays and thanks all!

Name:  PearlFloorLegBracket.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  32.0 KB
    Last edited by CreepBeat; 12-20-2019 at 05:22 PM. Reason: typo, added image

3. Pearl does it for me

Welcome to the PDF!

Be very very careful with BLX long lugs. they are notorious for breaking.
    There is a fellow in the UK who makes new ones I believe, but they cost a bit.

As far as the stop lock, have you contacted Pearl?
    There used to be a First Aid sub forum in the PDF, but it now says this:
    The First Aid section is now located on the Contact Us page of the Support section of our website. The Pearl Staff are ready to answer your questions
    I see you've posted over at the Vintage Pearl FB page, so that may help as well.

I know this sounds cheap, but, have you thought of using automotive hose clamp, even if only as a temporary measure???

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 3pearlkits View Post
    Welcome to the PDF!

Be very very careful with BLX long lugs. they are notorious for breaking.
    There is a fellow in the UK who makes new ones I believe, but they cost a bit.

As far as the stop lock, have you contacted Pearl?
    There used to be a First Aid sub forum in the PDF, but it now says this:

I see you've posted over at the Vintage Pearl FB page, so that may help as well.

I know this sounds cheap, but, have you thought of using automotive hose clamp, even if only as a temporary measure???
    Thanks!! Yeah, I've gathered that the lugs are a bit fragile. I'll see how a single mounting screw/bolt feels first and if it's like TIGHT I'll leave the lugs on and clean it up best I can without removing them. Better safe than sorry! But if they come off easily, I'll go for it. If anyone has contact info for the guy in the UK that makes new ones, I'd love to have it for future reference and in fact would likely buy a spare or two in the sizes I'd need for a rainy day.

As for the floor tom stop lock, the leg bracket is totally functional without it - I just like having things sorted as best as possible. Not the end of the world, but would love to track one down. Thanks for the idea - that would work haha. Anyone know how many millimeters wide a BLX leg is? Might also be able to use a different leg stop lock if I can find one that is the right diameter to go over the leg but also not too wide that it clears the bracket.

EDIT: Never mind, I found the guy's website in the UK: https://www.oldhamdrumstudios.com/pe...czx/4548144316
    Last edited by CreepBeat; 12-20-2019 at 09:08 PM.

5. Enjoy Every Sandwich

May or may not be helpful, but expand your search a bit. I am fairly certainly that "stop lock" was available for the WX and/or WLX series. If you've already exhausted that option, then I apologize. I've got an old WX resto project and the stop locks look markedly similar.

Good luck with your search!

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Cheez_Whiz View Post
    May or may not be helpful, but expand your search a bit. I am fairly certainly that "stop lock" was available for the WX and/or WLX series. If you've already exhausted that option, then I apologize. I've got an old WX resto project and the stop locks look markedly similar.

Good luck with your search!
    Thank you for the information. I've since learned that a guy in Texas did have a machinist make a bunch of these. Now, if I could just get him to respond to my message on Facebook...

7. Registered User

9Y0A6894 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    9Y0A6893 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    9Y0A6892 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    9Y0A6891 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

8. Registered User

^^^^ Beautiful kit!

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CreepBeat View Post
    Thank you for the information. I've since learned that a guy in Texas did have a machinist make a bunch of these. Now, if I could just get him to respond to my message on Facebook...
    Update! I did hear from the guy in Texas and he did not have these made. He couldn't get enough of a commitment for the 150 pieces he'd need to have made at the time when he tried a while back. Bummer, but I'm ordering some spare lugs from Gavin in the UK so I'll be worry free stripping my BLX down when it arrives in a day or two and also for the future should one go. Though not with a LB-30 2-B, Gavin is also going to help me out with a floor tom memory lock solution so I'm also set. I'll post up some pictures of the BLX clean & fix up once it is underway.

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CreepBeat View Post
    ^^^^ Beautiful kit!
    Cheers Unfortunately I sold it a few months back

11. Registered User

The BLX kit arrived!!! All the way from the other side of the country...

So, when the lady at UPS brought the boxes up from the back, I was like "oh crap..." because the big box was crushed in the corners and had holes in it! I looked into one of the two holes and could see the kick drum and a bunch of the packing peanuts had obviously fallen out - maybe like 1/3 of them. NOT GOOD. The other boxes looked fine. I loaded the boxes in the car on the drive home I was pretty worried...

Name:  2019-12-24 09.17.14.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  97.7 KB
    Name:  2019-12-24 09.17.20 HDR.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  119.1 KB

Here's what it looked like once in my garage. Ack! The horror!! I almost didn't want to open it...

Name:  2019-12-24 09.47.53.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  105.8 KB

But I did. Original kick reso head - trash, but I knew that before I bought them:

Name:  2019-12-24 09.50.27.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  81.5 KB

To be continued....

12. Registered User

I pulled everything out. Kick drum is.....FINE! Whew! "Wow...these are actually nicer than I thought they were going to be. Dang, REALLY NICE! WOOHOO!!!" Packing peanuts stick to everything or once not stuck, get everywhere!

Name:  2019-12-24 10.07.53.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  105.7 KB

Starting cleaning them up. I thought I was going to have to pull the hardware and stuff. NOPE! In really great shape as is and instead carefully going over the lugs with chrome polish while on the shells. I pulled the hoops and cleaned them. Here are some photos of the condition of the hardware - only very little pre-pitting at most on a couple of lugs. YES!

Name:  2019-12-24 14.35.52.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  95.4 KB
    Name:  2019-12-24 14.39.49.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  85.3 KB
    Name:  2019-12-24 15.32.19.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  56.9 KB

Checked the edges. There's one very small ding on the 13 batter edge and also one on the kick reso edge. I don't think this will be an issue, but if so, I've got a very experienced drum builder who can recut them if I deem that they must be absolutely perfect.

So, I'm a very happy camper! The sellers photos were pretty bad - low quality and the kit had been sitting for a long time and was really dusty which made determining the condition difficult. Plus, always hard especially with black in photos to tell - "is that a ding or a reflection??" I'll be gigging regularly with this kit and it has some little dents and dings in the finish here and there as expected and nothing bad at all which is totally fine with me - I didn't want something too nice that I wouldn't want to play anywhere out with. I've got a few other high-end kits and I know that at any moment in a club, a prized kit can take a hit from the sound guy setting up mics or whatever. I didn't want a kit too nice to play and this bad boy is going to get played, a LOT.

Being such an easy cleanup job, I should have these switched out in our rehearsal room in two days. So what's it need? The tom arm it came with is a short one and I'll be replacing it with a long version. I have a long arm from a Sonor kit that will do until I get a long Pearl arm. The kick hoops are getting replaced with new ones, though the ones it came with aren't actually as bad as I thought they were going to be. And, new heads all around of course. Happy Holidays everyone and Merry Christmas to me hehe!
    Last edited by CreepBeat; 12-24-2019 at 05:51 PM.