Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default New Snaredrum out of my BLX-Tom - building project

ok - recently I asked here - shall I cut my unused BLX-tom (13x11) into pieces and build a 13x6.5 all-birch-shell snare out of it? Your vote was yes (16 yes to 7 no's) so it begins now - here - online so to say! I will post pictures of any step I do and share all my good and bad experiences...

If you want to see how this building-project evolves you should subscribe to this thread - this project will need some days (not to say: weeks). I will post pics of the thing after every major step - it starts today with the preparations of the shell for the big cut... this will follow in the next days!

Part 1: remove of the hardware / badges / vent-hole

this first two pics are the last ones of this drum being a regular rack-tom of 13x11 inches... time to say goodbye... :-))
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. Registered User

...the heads removed and two pics of the beautiful inner birch-plys. These were high-gloss-laquered in this series of drums... a feature you don't find on modern drums...

3. Registered User

...everything but the badges and the vent-hole removed...

4. I'll fail a drug test for you.

Are you doing this as we speak or have these pics already been taken a while ago?

-Robb
    MMX IN PLATINUM MIST!
    12x8, 16x14 ft, 18x16 ft, and 22x18!
    :D

Export ELX (6/16/06)

MMX (8/5/06)

Selling 14x11 Platinum Mist BRX tom and 10x8 SKB; PM me for details.

5. Registered User

...up to this point all was reversable and it didn't hurt so much - watch out the next pic... this hurt!

The removal of the badges was a pain - they were not only screwed to the shell with 4 small screws - there was this extremely effective both-sides-adhesive-tape under it!

The first one I had to peel of the shell (which left major deformations to the badge which is not so nice because they are needed later for the snare). OK - there are two badges on a tom so the second one was heated up with a hairdryer before removal - this helped a lot! I will use that one on the new snare (unfortunately it's the one without the serial-#, but who cares...).

See the pics of the peeling here and the naked shell afterwards - the venthole was a pain too, but this can be replaced with a spare-part...

6. Registered User

Default !

I thought you were going to make a 13x11 snare!

Looks like it will turn out good, keep us updated.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by adollarwodbnice
    Are you doing this as we speak or have these pics already been taken a while ago?

-Robb
    ok- it is not really online - they were taken in the last hour before posting this! Can we call that "almost online"? :-)))

I took some measurements on the naked shell and found out that my new snare will be a 13x6.3 (instead of 6.5) because I have to completely cut away the 1"-hole for the tom-arm... but this will probably not do any audible changes...

Watch the next chapter: preparation of the shell to cut it into two pieces and - of course - the cut itself! If the badge-removal did hurt - what will this then be like?

Stay tuned...

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZMD
    I thought you were going to make a 13x11 snare!

Looks like it will turn out good, keep us updated.
    well - didn't thought of that - but I think this would have been very special... I'd like to have a versatile wood-snare afterwards and I'm somewhat limited to the range of 6" to 6.5" depth because of the TAMA-lugs I already have... these where from a 1990s Artwood-Model from TAMA and being one-piece lugs the new drum has to fit these depth-wise.

9. Part of the MAPEX MAFIA!

I live in canada. In an igloo. I live in an igloo cuz everyone in canada does. What, you didnt know that? Are you some kind of idiot?

i say make it a piccolo!
    REP ME WITH 'Return Please' for 125 rep points!!!

I AM SAVING FOR: I dont know haha, suggestions???

MAPEX MAFIA

10. Comfortably Numb

make 2 snares!

11. I <3 Ludwigs.

you could always use the piece with the tom arm hole in it as a big vented snare. Put orange county decals on it and sell it for $3000
    hahaha

12. Guess who?

Quote Originally Posted by Jookbox
    make 2 snares!
    Werd.
    - Philee :)
    Pics of My Tamburos With Drum Stage!
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstx2010
    personally id rather not walk around in dead beavers thnx.