Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Pearl Corporation USA

Quote Originally Posted by HammerDown View Post
    And how I use the kit today...new front smooth white P3 bass head doesn't have a hole.
    if for one minute you feel you want deep drums...get-em!
    Always loved your kits Hammer!

KISS uses Gibson guitars and Pearl drums because they want the Best!

2. Registered User

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread. Let's clear some things up for anyone who comes along and reads this:

Shell DIAMETER = affects drum fundamental note (higher or lower note). The BIGGER the diameter = the LOWER the note.

Shell DEPTH = affects drum SUSTAIN and VOLUME. The DEEPER the depth = the LONGER the sustain and LOUDER the POTENTIAL volume.

Shell THICKNESS = affects FUNDAMENTAL and VOLUME. The THICKER the shell = the HIGHER the note and LOUDER the POTENTIAL volume.

Now, example: think 1980's metal days when hair metal and thrash was king. Look at the drum sets back then: big DIAMETERS, DEEP power toms, THICK shells = big loud drum sound ie motley crue, metallica, slayer, etc. That was the pinnacle of big loud drums.

3. Registered User

There's a reason they are called "power toms." You hit them with more power and they respond with louder and lower tones. Fast toms resonate longer with a lighter hit.

4. Registered User

Just curious if anyone besides Al realizes this thread is over thirteen years old.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

5. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
    Just curious if anyone besides Al realizes this thread is over thirteen years old.
    I do. It started at the beginning of my law enforcement career. That's some scary ******. Seems like ancient history.

Also, while I think 14x14 and 15x15 rack toms looks silly, I also cannot STAND ridiculously shallow rack toms. Somewhere in the middle is cool.
    Way Too Much Crap

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I do. It started at the beginning of my law enforcement career. That's some scary ******. Seems like ancient history.

Also, while I think 14x14 and 15x15 rack toms looks silly, I also cannot STAND ridiculously shallow rack toms. Somewhere in the middle is cool.
    I'm with you there, well I would be given the age of my kit :-) My 14" "rack" tom is 12" deep and its as deep as I would want over a 20" bass drum, however I've got it placed on the right as a first floor tom thingy, I guess that's how it was intended as the kit came with 10-12-14 toms. My 16" tom actually came as a rack tom, at 14" deep its a tad heavy and big to plonk over a bass drum...not sure what pearl were thinking of there.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by krys9984 View Post
    The pitch will be higher in a shallower drum, it's the same if you were to compare a 14" x 14" floor tom with a 14" x 10" rack tom. Both these drums are 14" but one will sound a lot lower in pitch and produce more of a low end sound and the other will still sound deep but with a much higher pitch tone with less sustain.

The way I have always seen it is:

Shallower Drums = Higher Pitch / Less Sustain but more sensitivity because the bottom head is activated much more easily.

Deeper Drums = Lower Pitch / More Sustain / Not as sensitive as shallower toms but when struck will produce a deeper sound.

Also, the shallower the drum the higher you will have to tune it. Since the drum is shallower you will have to tune it up a little higher in order to make it sound good. Larger drums can be left a little looser for a muddyer sound but you cannot apply the same tuning to shorter drums. A perfect eample is a 14" x 4" piccolo snare and a 14" x 6" deep snare, you will have to crank the piccolo a little more for that perfect sound, but the deeper snare can be left a little looser for that weter, darker sound.

Chris
    I concur with what KRYS9984 has to say. I have a 14 X 14 floor tom and a 14 X 12 rack tom that i have positioned to the left side of my snare drum. Both have eactly the same heads and I have tuned both using a tunebot to the exact same specifications as set forth by the tunebot app. The deeper floor tom has a far deeper lower tone than the 12 inch deep tom. the 12" deep tom has a higher pitch...shallower toms are usually higher pitched!
    My wife says I am no longer permitted to buy any more drums...I said okay you cant buy any more shoes...we are presently at an impasse! I see drums...she sees shoes!