Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrist troubles

1. oo oo ahh ahh

Default Wrist troubles

when i do stuff like fast rolls and accents on the snare, im aware that i dont use enough of my wrist and sometimes its more of an arm motion.

is there any exercises or drills i can do to help me use my wrist more and take away the arm motion
    ?

2. Berry Bueno

Um, there's not much more to it than actually using your wrists... there's no secret to willing your muscles to move. Your forearm muscles are obviously not strong enough to go the speed you want them to so you just need to practice more. Unless you're truly not coordinated enough to move your wrists.
    I can't go down the block without those pigs trying to stop me from doing what they think I might do

3. Registered User

Wrist movement isn't a matter of coordination. You just need to teach yourself better technique, which is really difficult and painful to do but you're tremendously limited if all you can do is thrash with your arms.

I say it all the time: the most important thing any drummer can do is figure out a solid economy of motion. I guarantee you that there's nothing you can play by using your arms that another drummer couldn't play with their wrists, and they'd be able to play it faster with less exertion. Just really focus on your economy of motion.

For specific wrist tips, practice on a variety of different surfaces. Understand that you need to use your fingers as well as your wrist to get the stick to move (think of it as tickling the underside of the stick with your fingers), and that you initially won't be able to play as loud (though with practice you will be). Practice on a pillow, on a drumhead, and on a hard surface like a table. Play basic rudiments (I recommend, in this order: singles, paradiddles + variations, doubles). Try and really get your doubles strong; if you're doing it right they really can highlight whether or not your wrist is doing what it should. All the while keep a careful eye on your wrist and fingers. Watch what you're doing and play around with it until you've corrected it.

It's going to take a REALLY long time and a ton of dedication to train yourself to do it right. A teacher would be highly recommended, especially one with a focus on concert or marching snare. Let them know that it's just a temporary thing and you want them to correct your technique. They'll be glad to lend a hand.

4. Registered User

Get some big sticks and a practice pad (and set them up in some convienent place like I did so you can practice as much as possible, as comfortably as possible)

Also, get a pillow

Now, teach yourself proper technique so you can stop swinging your arms around. Its quite hard and takes time. It also requires strengtening proper muscles, so you need to use the pillow for this. The pillow has no rebound at all, therefore you develop more muscle and less fine technique by playing on it.

To stop yourself from swinging your arms, use one hand to hold the opposite arm. Now use your wrist and fingers to completely control the stick. Hit the pillow continually at a constant tempo for 3 minutes. Now use your other hand. Repeat this process until you develop strong singles with proper technique. (Grasp the stick firmly, but still have it somewhat loose so you can move it around. Your fingers should be pointing the ground and when you are playing with both hands, it should form a 90 degree angle. Your wrists' movement should be minimal and your fingers should be the main source of force to move the stick.)

Example of upstroke:

Example of downstroke:

Picture of grip:

Now after spending a lot of time on the pillow developing your single strokes with proper technique, now go to the practice pad and practice your single strokes. Start slow and gradually increase the tempo as you get more control. Even once you get fast, still go back and practice slow every time you sit down and practice your single strokes.
    Now its time to move on to rudiments. You'll pretty much build up every rudiment in the same fashion you did singles. Start with paradiddles (since they make you practice doubles and singles), then move onto doubles, then variants of paradiddles (double paradiddles, triple paradiddles, paradiddlediddles), variants of doubles (3 stroke rolls, 5 stroke rolls, 7 stroke rolls), triplets, and finally flams (and all varients).

This will take a lot of time and practice, but it will improve your drumming so much. You will be faster, your fills will be more creative, you willl have more control, you will have good technique, and you won't have hurting wrists or arms. Hope I helped!
    Last edited by notphilip; 12-07-2005 at 12:58 PM.

5. Pearl/Zildjian/Vater

^ Great post.

6. oo oo ahh ahh

thanks a lot man, that was really helpfull.

i really needed that post because my rolls are what is lacking.. my beats and double bass and everything else seems to be going decent, i just really lack when it comes to only using my snare

cheers
    ?

7. Banned

you spend that time with all the pictures yet your thumb is off the stick in your upstroke and the pillow. LOLZ

8. Registered User

I'll fix it. Sorry. I screwed up a bit there

9. Eat,Sleep,Dream,Drums.

scroll down to jim chapins moeller technique
    http://www.vicfirth.com/education/dr...mfamularo.html
    Flying Over Rio
    https://soundcloud.com/rico7
    https://open.spotify.com/track/3lceIGs8j4A4MSZXRYdXFw
    Tama SC Birch/walnut
    Tama DynaSync
    Paiste Cymbals

10. Registered User

Wow man, thanks for that link. Very cool!
    DATATATA ZZZZzzzzzz......
    Myspace...Be My Friend!

Check out My Kit!

My youtube site!

11. Limecat is not pleased

yeah the educational vids on vicfirth.com are pretty cool! Were really good for my practicing, got me to practice way more often again!

12. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by notphilip
    I'll fix it. Sorry. I screwed up a bit there
    nice. looks a bit better now though one or 2 of the pics you're kinda giving a thumbs up. but it happens to the best of us..