Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 130 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130
Results 1,549 to 1,556 of 1556
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    Yes .. # 71 Ferrari Red If inside of shells has an acoustic coat sealer then it's an 89 Export If inside is bare wood then it's a 90-91 Export

Any idea of why they did away with the sealer? And how many years did Pearl use it?

2. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    Any idea of why they did away with the sealer? And how many years did Pearl use it?
    They've been using it since 70's .. Don't know why they stopped but I assume because they started using nicer interior plies .. IMO it was used to hide the nasty luan interior ply .. the kind if you ran your hand across wood surface you'd get a splinter ... haha .. Pearl says it added whatever to the sound but it basically hid sh$tty wood

82-84 EX had acoustic coat on select wood shells ... ELX's had Birch interior

85-86 EX = no acoustic sealer

87-89 EX had acoustic sealer

90-93 EX had Birch interior

94 and on were various species of select wood used for interiors that had no acoustic sealer
    80's Pearl G/M series in Emerald Forest WoodDye-10x8, 12x8, 14x10, 16x16, 18x16, 22x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl G/M series in CherryRoseWine WoodDye-12x8, 13x9, 15x12, 16x14, 18x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl G/M series in factory Walnut Lacquer - 14x10, 18x16, 22x14, 26x14
    PDP Birch - 10, 14, 22

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    They've been using it since 70's .. Don't know why they stopped but I assume because they started using nicer interior plies .. IMO it was used to hide the nasty luan interior ply .. the kind if you ran your hand across wood surface you'd get a splinter ... haha .. Pearl says it added whatever to the sound but it basically hid sh$tty wood 82-84 EX had acoustic coat on select wood shells ... ELX's had Birch interior 85-86 EX = no acoustic sealer 87-89 EX had acoustic sealer 90-93 EX had Birch interior 94 and on were various species of select wood used for interiors that had no acoustic sealer

I figured that was the case. Pretty ingenious though. Killing two birds with one stone. Hide the uglier and more porous wood and improve the sound of the kit by making it like a tight grain wood. I got so many compliments on how my Exports sounded. And they were being played like concert toms. The resonant heads and hardware were there but the Reso was cut out.

Cheers and thanks for the info!

4. Registered User

Exports from my near past! The Yellow Flash kit had the sealer!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

5. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    I figured that was the case. Pretty ingenious though. Killing two birds with one stone. Hide the uglier and more porous wood and improve the sound of the kit by making it like a tight grain wood. I got so many compliments on how my Exports sounded. And they were being played like concert toms. The resonant heads and hardware were there but the Reso was cut out.

Cheers and thanks for the info!
    No prob ... yeah Pearl killed 2 birds on that one .. any hardwood used on interior ply makes shell resonate like it should .. interior has a hard surface to reflect sound waves .. interior ply with softwood will sound deader .. the acoustic coat sealer makes that crappy luan interior ply harder thus sounding better
    80's Pearl G/M series in Emerald Forest WoodDye-10x8, 12x8, 14x10, 16x16, 18x16, 22x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl G/M series in CherryRoseWine WoodDye-12x8, 13x9, 15x12, 16x14, 18x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl G/M series in factory Walnut Lacquer - 14x10, 18x16, 22x14, 26x14
    PDP Birch - 10, 14, 22

6. Vintage 1968

Quote Originally Posted by f15c View Post
    Hi all. New drummer, new to PDF. Based on a recommendation from David Williams of East Coast Drums on the MD side of DC (great dude, spent tons of time with me showing me the ropes), I sought out some Exports for my first kit. About 6 months later, here's my setup at first full gig at the Capital Yacht Club in Washington, D.C. Mardi Gras party of course, kit didn't come with the beads Long lug Reds: 22" kick with EMAD batter & reso, 12" rack and 16" floor with G2's on top, G1s on bottom (13" tom at home), and one stock 14x6 snare with HD Dry on top, 300 SS on bottom. I admit I'm still trying to find the tuning sweet spot on pretty much everything, but the kit is working out great for hauling around to practice and gigs just like David said it would. Not in love with the red color, but....these are my babies for now and gonna rock it best I can. Various Zildjian A's all around, also still settling into desired cymbals.
    Attachment 501513
    Cool set. I wanted a red set of Exports back in 87, but opted for black because it was easier to match pieces when I added on. That was back when I was only making a little over $5000 a year, so the $1000 for the exports was a huge chunk of my income.
    Did Dave used to work at Veneman's Music in Gaithersburg, MD? That's where I ordered my exports from back in the 80s. Great shop.
    Random obscure cool group from my youth:

7. Registered User

Looks/feels like bare wood to me, so likely 90-91. Thanks much for the help!

8. Registered User

Thanks! Funny, I wanted black, but these reds popped up and I needed to make a move on a kit, got a good deal and went for it.

Yeah I don't know where else David has been. Just met him once--he spent at least an hour straight with me giving me the ins and outs of everything he had in the shop. I wasn't ready to pull the trigger on my first visit to any drum shop, and didn't end up buying from him. But did go back to him for some parts and labor, happy to at least give him a little business in return. Definitely will visit his shop again when I need something.