Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 138 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138
Results 1,645 to 1,655 of 1655
  1. Registered User

My very first drum kit...well, it's for my son of course.

My young son has really been interested in drumming for the past year. It started out as a used snare kit picked up at a pawn shop about 6 months ago (my first drum purchase ever) and now he has weekly lessons at Guitar Center. Today, a spare bedroom is now a drum room. I pieced together an Export EXX kit in Grindstone Sparkle over the past 6 months. 20x16, 12x8, 10x8, 16x16 and a 14" snare.

I signed up with Stephen Taylor last month and am taking some basic lessons myself online. I'm enjoying learning the drums as much as my son and the best part is it's something we can do together.

Anyway, I'm a lefty with a right dominate foot and the most natural way for me to play right now is open hand on a righty kit. Progress is going good and I think I will stick with that style. I like the fact that I can walk up to a kit anywhere and sit down and start playing without having to move everything around.

I have a few pics attached with both 5 piece and 4 piece setups. That's the decision I'm working on now...4 or 5 piece. I know one of the big advantages to a 4 piece for most is being able to move the ride above the bass. But since I play open hand, my ride is behind my hi-hats, so I still have a big hole there between my mounted tom and my floor tom. The cymbal kit I have (Paiste 20R, 18C, 16C & 14HH) came with a second crash (16") and I'm unsure on where to put that right now, so it just moves around and sometimes I just take it off the kit completely until I feel a need for it somewhere.

Any input on cymbal placement and general setup for a beginner playing open hand on a righty kit is appreciated. Oh, and yeah, I also picked up an Alesis Command electronic kit for practicing after hours. Thanks for looking.

Name:  Export 5 piece OH.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  57.4 KB

Name:  Export 5 piece.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  64.1 KB

Name:  Export 4 piece OH.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  59.5 KB

Name:  Export 4 piece.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  56.2 KB

2. Registered User

My two kits...the electronic kit is setup pretty low for my son to practice on right now.

Name:  Both kits.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  61.9 KB

3. Vintage 1968

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Voyage View Post
    My very first drum kit...well, it's for my son of course.

My young son has really been interested in drumming for the past year. It started out as a used snare kit picked up at a pawn shop about 6 months ago (my first drum purchase ever) and now he has weekly lessons at Guitar Center. Today, a spare bedroom is now a drum room. I pieced together an Export EXX kit in Grindstone Sparkle over the past 6 months. 20x16, 12x8, 10x8, 16x16 and a 14" snare.

I signed up with Stephen Taylor last month and am taking some basic lessons myself online. I'm enjoying learning the drums as much as my son and the best part is it's something we can do together.

Anyway, I'm a lefty with a right dominate foot and the most natural way for me to play right now is open hand on a righty kit. Progress is going good and I think I will stick with that style. I like the fact that I can walk up to a kit anywhere and sit down and start playing without having to move everything around.

I have a few pics attached with both 5 piece and 4 piece setups. That's the decision I'm working on now...4 or 5 piece. I know one of the big advantages to a 4 piece for most is being able to move the ride above the bass. But since I play open hand, my ride is behind my hi-hats, so I still have a big hole there between my mounted tom and my floor tom. The cymbal kit I have (Paiste 20R, 18C, 16C & 14HH) came with a second crash (16") and I'm unsure on where to put that right now, so it just moves around and sometimes I just take it off the kit completely until I feel a need for it somewhere.

Any input on cymbal placement and general setup for a beginner playing open hand on a righty kit is appreciated. Oh, and yeah, I also picked up an Alesis Command electronic kit for practicing after hours. Thanks for looking.
    Welcome to the forum Cajun! Nice sets.
    I'm a lefty, but I play right handed. I actually do several things right handed just for convenience.
    Since the goal is to develop your weak side to match your dominant side, it really doesn't matter if your set is lefty or righty. You have discovered the major benefit, though; Being able to play most other people's sets! I would suggest playing both open handed and cross-over to help develop your style. You'll find that some songs work better open handed, and some work better crossed. The more you play, the more you'll find yourself doing that anyways. I play both ways, and switch it up in the middle of songs sometimes.
    Your cymbal placement will migrate over time. The more you play, the more you'll feel where they need to be. Sometimes I'll play and close my eyes and try and hit things to see if they are where I think they are. If not, I move them.
    I think it's awesome that you are learning to play to help your son. I'm planning on doing that with my son on the guitar/bass in a year or two.
    Random obscure cool group from my youth:

4. Registered User

Just had to post this.
    Two identical Pearl EXR, White Strata 5,5x14.
    I use one with Coated Remo Ambassador and
    The other with Coated Remo Controlled Sound.
    Name:  956333B9-C360-423F-BAD9-DE28C0F0D14E.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  83.9 KB

5. Vintage 1968

Quote Originally Posted by drumand View Post
    Just had to post this.
    Two identical Pearl EXR, White Strata 5,5x14.
    I use one with Coated Remo Ambassador and
    The other with Coated Remo Controlled Sound.
    Name:  956333B9-C360-423F-BAD9-DE28C0F0D14E.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  83.9 KB
    Nice.
    Curious, which head do you prefer?

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dudme View Post
    Nice.
    Curious, which head do you prefer?
    Both!
    CS gives me more «smack» and Amb are more delicate.
    If the gig requires lower volume and I will play «loose»: Ambassador
    Higher volume and tighter playing: CS
    Both heads work best at semi-tight tension (medium to high tuning.

OR: I will bring both and I’ll dampen the hell out of The one I’ll
    use as a side snare a la Benny Greb. He often uses two identical snares
    with different tunings. Don’t know if he uses different heads though.

But if I only had to use one of the heads exclusively? CS... ��
    Last edited by drumand; 04-25-2019 at 09:02 PM.

7. Pearl Corporation USA

Quote Originally Posted by melvinspeed View Post
    I like to call this the "Mini-Al Percival".

Attachment 511135

Attachment 511136
    HAHAHAHA - Love it!!!!

KISS uses Gibson guitars and PEARL drums because they want the Best!

8. Pearl Corporation USA

I always loved this Export Ad pic from 1994.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

KISS uses Gibson guitars and PEARL drums because they want the Best!

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    HAHAHAHA - Love it!!!!
    If power toms were still available, I can assure you I would've ordered those. But I'm in the minority.

It's been about a year Al, and this kit is still trucking like a trooper after 30+ gigs. The chrome is great for stage lights.

10. Vintage 1968

I love power toms.

11. Empowered Individual

Quote Originally Posted by dudme View Post
    I love power toms.
    +1!!