Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tuning

1. Author of "Drum Tuning"

Default Getting proper intervals between toms of same size or little difference

Hi,

if this is a problem for you, you might want to read this: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...&postcount=113

Nils
    Believe me, it is "BASSDRUM", not "BASEDRUM".
    Nils' Website DER TROMMELSTIMMER
    Main Kit

2. 6 Decades on Pearl

I am re-posting what I posted on another thread regarding intervals but first I want to inject my thought about finding the fundamental note of a drum.
    I read on one of the threads linked to this one that you must remove all of the hardware to find the fundamental note. I don't disagree if you're talking about the absolute fundamental note. But, not unlike through the shell tom mounts once you replace the hardware the acoustics of the drum are going to change. Therefore, I contend that you remove the heads only, leave the hardware on the drum and suspend the shell and tap the side and listen (through the hardware rattling) to find the note that way because that's the note you're going to tune to, not the one with the hardware removed.
    That said, here's my commentary on intervals. Keep in mind I'm talking about the toms being tuned correctly with uniform tension around the drum (next to each tension rod):

About 10 or so years ago I was tuning my six piece Export kit (1990 version, w/ 4 toms). After I was satisfied with the intervals I was goofing around on the toms and by accident played the first phrase of the "Call to Post". You know, like the bugle you hear prior to a horse race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kude_xyMfOc

Not long after that I was at a Thoroughbred Music Drum Expo in Tampa and one of the performers that year was Tito Puente. Prior to his segment Tito himself appeared onstage to tune his timbales. Once he had them tuned he paused a second and then played the "Call to Post" to check his intervals. Once I saw that I never looked back. If it was good enough for Tito Puente it was good enough for me. Been checking my intervals that way ever since. I think you can also do "Taps" or at least part of it with those intervals.
    "I want you to boogie my woogie 'til my face turns cherry red."
    ~Rose Marie McCoy's song "Cherry Red"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF97EEaXsyc

3. Registered User

Hello, could somebody help me with my kick tuning?
    My kick is Premier Artist birch 20"x16". At the moment I have PS3 clear with falam slam as batter and Emperor coated as reso. Both heads are very loose, finger tightened and maybe half turn more. I have no muffling in kick. But now, when I play my kick, it sounds like "PAANG" when I'd like it to sound more like "DUUMM". Are there any easy ways to make it sound the way I like?
    Any help will be appreciated.

4. Drum Fluff

Turn the drum on its back and tune the reso first. Slacken all off and do the old car wheel / criss cross tuning/ Keep tuning up until you hear the centre of the head makes a clear note like "duuummm" as aposed to a "bob" sound. it. Soon as you get it to do that, thats the lowest pitch it will resonate best at. Flip the head over and tune the PS3 side. Might be a bit hard to hear as its pre muffled, but try and match it best. Your kick should now be a booming baby.

I use to do this with my mapex M birch regurly and it worked brilliant. Sounded amazing with the EMAD.

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nickd View Post
    Turn the drum on its back and tune the reso first. Slacken all off and do the old car wheel / criss cross tuning/ Keep tuning up until you hear the centre of the head makes a clear note like "duuummm" as aposed to a "bob" sound. it. Soon as you get it to do that, thats the lowest pitch it will resonate best at. Flip the head over and tune the PS3 side. Might be a bit hard to hear as its pre muffled, but try and match it best. Your kick should now be a booming baby.

I use to do this with my mapex M birch regurly and it worked brilliant. Sounded amazing with the EMAD.
    Thanks for your help, I'll try this. I hope it works.

6. <*))>><

Hi Nils, do you have a version in english?

Thanx!

7. Registered User

please help... i have catalina birch first generation and on them evans g1 on toms and they are great but since everyone hailed g2 on toms i bought them to try them... the result isn t much impressive... for now... when i had the g1 on toms i had tune them by ear and then i had checked drumdial to see the numbers and they were 70 bottom around 75 top... tom had singed beautiful... so my question is how do you tune catalina with g2 heads... today i didnt have much time so i have used drumdial with same numbers and result was... hmmm not so great... i now tuning by ear but the problem is that i will not have much time in following weeks to tune them properlly but your advice would mean gold to me please if you can also provide me some drumdial number for problem...

8. Rhythm Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Matematika View Post
    please help... i have catalina birch first generation and on them evans g1 on toms and they are great but since everyone hailed g2 on toms i bought them to try them... the result isn t much impressive... for now... when i had the g1 on toms i had tune them by ear and then i had checked drumdial to see the numbers and they were 70 bottom around 75 top... tom had singed beautiful... so my question is how do you tune catalina with g2 heads... today i didnt have much time so i have used drumdial with same numbers and result was... hmmm not so great... i now tuning by ear but the problem is that i will not have much time in following weeks to tune them properlly but your advice would mean gold to me please if you can also provide me some drumdial number for problem...
    First, throw the DD in the garbage. J/K haha. Second, go to the top of PDFU and see notes, pitches, intervals. Third, go find a virtual piano online and tune those bad boys up.

9. Registered User

what is everyone's opinion on thee little drum tuning devices that you place on the drum and then read a dial with some numbers on it? Do they work well?
    My wife says I am no longer permitted to buy any more drums...I said okay you cant buy any more shoes...we are presently at an impasse! I see drums...she sees shoes!

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by oldbatterhead View Post
    what is everyone's opinion on thee little drum tuning devices that you place on the drum and then read a dial with some numbers on it? Do they work well?
    I love it. It works great. But a real drummer can tune by ear and get the sound he/she wants. But don't get me wrong I do use it from time to time and I love it!

11. Registered User

Heads and Tuning Question:

I live in Stuttgart, Germany and recently added a 10x8” tom to add to my Vision Chrome kit...and replaced the factory clear Remo head with a Remo Pinstripe Ebony 2-ply head.
    Outside of the resonance (“bong” sound), I really like the way it plays...it’s a really “lively” head...so I decided to change the rest of the heads on my toms (12x9, 13x10, 14x11, 16x16FT, 18x16FT) from factory heads to Remo Pinstripe Ebony.

To control extra resonance... I ported the reso heads on all the toms with chrome "O's": 2" for the 10x8 tom , 4" for the12x9, 13x10 and 14x11 toms and 6" for the 16x16 and 18x16 floor toms to control/reduce reso head sound and focus on the batter head to achieve desired drum sound.
    The porting has worked pretty well...and the contrast of chrome shells, black reso heads and chrome “O’s” looks pretty cool.

I’m still wrestling with a 2-fold problem:
    1. Struggling to achieve just the right amount of resonance control without choking the toms - experimenting with different modes of resonance control on the batter heads: Remo Muff'l Rings (with and without the foam ring) and Moon Gel Pads - to get as close as possible to a "studio" sound.
    2. I’m also trying to find just the right “voice” for each of the toms...so each tom has its own distinct sound (tone) and the difference can be heard between the different toms when doing downward/upward rolls or combinations.

I have read that it is recommended to start loose and tune "up" versus tuning "down"...is this true?

With all the above in mind...please advise on the best tuning method - is it better to find the sound on the reso head first and then tune the batter head...or vice versa?

Thank you for your time and any advice you can lend...

Have a great day...

Cheers!

Steve