Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536
  1. Registered User

Gosh it's imposible to compare all the bell brass snares, they are all different and each has it's relative merits. It's like asking grandma to pick her favorite grandchild.

I think I have 15 or 18 of them now. here are the 6 best in no particular order

1980 Tama Bell Brass raw brass (the original)
    1981 Tama Mastercraft
    Noble and Cooley 5X14 zildjian (the third of the series of three - with the groove rings machined in)
    Paiste Spirit of 2002 6.5X14
    Sonor Artist Series 6.5X14
    DW raw bell brass prototype - 5X14

Definitely NOT on the list would be the HLD 590's They are just too f*king heavy and you have to hit them really hard to get them to sing which limits their versatility. Also, I had a gretsch BB and the Tama re-issues and they are my proof that not all Bell Brass are created equal. I think they were both "spun" not sand cast, BTW.

Puzzled as I look at the list that no drums with cast BB hoops made it.... No idea what that says - not reading anything into it.

I have to say, rather than say which is the "best" - If there was a fire in my house and I could only grab one snare, I'd grab the 1980 Tama. it's not just a function of the amazing sound but also rarity. The raw BB are very very hard to find. If you can find that drum, you should buy it, any price under $8000. Not kidding.
    I collect drums. I play them, too.

Search "Mofo on Drums" on YouTube to check out some of my videos

2. Playing since 1976

Hey Mike, Oriollo is making cast bronze hoops that look really nice... $500 per pair.

This is what they look like...

Name:  zMr5VIo.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  17.5 KB

Name:  FT4ZKmz.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  18.5 KB
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

3. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Hey Mike, Oriollo is making cast bronze hoops that look really nice... $500 per pair.

This is what they look like...

Name:  zMr5VIo.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  17.5 KB

Name:  FT4ZKmz.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  18.5 KB
    Mag wheels for the bling

4. Drumming Since 1943

FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS for a pair of drum hoops?!1

BEAT IT with that s***.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS for a pair of drum hoops?!1

BEAT IT with that s***.
    LOL... I wouldn't spend that either. I was pointing them out to "mofo" as an affordable alternative to Tama bell brass hoops, which are selling for anywhere between $1K and $2K, depending on the condition.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

6. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    LOL... I wouldn't spend that either. I was pointing them out to "mofo" as an affordable alternative to Tama bell brass hoops, which are selling for anywhere between $1K and $2K, depending on the condition.
    I've seen the Tama BB snare over the years and it is GORGEOUS but can someone tell me exactly WHY it's so coveted and f*****g expensive?
    Way Too Much Crap

7. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I've seen the Tama BB snare over the years and it is GORGEOUS but can someone tell me exactly WHY it's so coveted and f*****g expensive?
    People are going to have different opinions, but I think the Tama Bell Brass snares are coveted and expensive because they are somewhat limited in production, expensive to make (compared to other snare drums), and have a great sound. I could only find one 5x14, 40th Anniversary for $1700 at Bentley's, which I wouldn't want. I hope the next round that Tama offers has nicer, contemporary lugs, and all the new hardware trimmings, and maybe even the bell brass hoops!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE