Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. John Bonham, So hot right now.

Default *John Blackwell Clinic Review*

it was excellent! if you have the chance to go, definatly take the opertunity!

the place we went to was relatively small, only about 100 people there and it was great to be so close and see so well.

he started off just playing for about 30 minutes, and this guy is awsome! from his showman ship to his chops hes just unstopable. he made the tiny tama superstar sound like a monster. he really puts on a show, some stunning stuff. his right foot is just unbelievable. he started playing like straight 32nd notes and people were blown back, going up to the stage to see no double pedal.

after he stopped playing and after a very long applause he started to take questions. first question was of course, how did you get your right foot so good, and he went into the story of how he started with it all. if you can, ask as many questions as possible. he has the greatist stories from people who he worked with and just his drumming history. he's a great guy, very friendly and loves to answer questions lol.

he then played for another 25 or so minutes and blew everyone away a second time. he did so much with what little he had. his modow (sp?) is K.I.S.S, keep it sweet and simple, when it comes to kits. he concentrates more on being in the pocket then crazy solo's. his groove is just sooo deep.

they then moved onto the give away stuff, had some awsome stuff too. didnt win anything myself. i got 3 pairs of his signature sticks for free and had him sign a pair of them too. my dad was really impressed, i was glad to see he had a good times.. wasnt sure what he was thinking in the beggining. hes not really into my drumming and very supportive. the owner of vater drums sticks was there and some guy from sabian.

overall i had a GREAT time, definatly go if you can. lots of free stuff, if your the first 25 people there, you get free sticks they sold the set he was using for $1200 (6 piece superstar) and the cymbals he used for 50%, so bring money if you want to invest!

unfortunatly my dad did not have his camera so i didnt get any pictures.

an amazing drummer and a great man.
    Sean

Johnbonhamism.

2. Loved by many....

awesome. hopefully he makes his way over here to california. i'd definitly go see him.
    O RLY?

Ken
    Pearl Masters MMX in #151 Platinum Mist
    Kit: 8x10, 9x12, 11x14, 16x16, 18x22, 6.5x14
    Zildjian A Customs/Paiste Signatures
    My Website *updated 1/8/06*

3. Just Groovin'!

I love John. Humble guy and stunning player!

4. John Bonham, So hot right now.

a couple things he said/did that i really too interest too:

he got his right foot so good by tightening up his pedal as high as it could go, quite the opposite of a lot of drummers.

hes a left handed player but he learned to play righty by using his left hand on the hats and switch hands to hit the snare. so his right hand was open for ghost notes and easier access to the rest of the kit

anyone else have any comments?
    Sean

Johnbonhamism.

5. ...has Stanton's hands??

I saw him last year - it was great! I'd definitely see him again and again.
    Those that do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.
    -/- Salvador Dali

Songs are really just very interesting things to be doing with the air.
    -/- Tom Waits

drums&heads&cymbals&implements

6. Registered User

he's coming here in November!! goin down to L&M to see him for sure.
    I've left the PDF. Email me at mjdurante (at) gmail (dot com).

Drums: Pearl SMX & Dream Bliss | Ludwig/Canwood & Sabian | Roland TD-12
    Restorations: Black '70s Slingerland | '66 Slingerland | White '70s Slingerland | '90s Sonor Force | CP Snares
    Bands: Captain Starr | stereoINs

7. Registered User

sounds like a great time.
    Pearl, Sabian, Remo, Vic Firth, Gon Bops.

8. Pearl/Zildjian/Vater

Hes sick!, glad you had a good time Sly.

9. People Know Me

I love john! As you said hes a great man and his showmanship is outstanding. Hes one of those people that inspire and make you think posotive. Wether hes playing on stage with a band or doing his own thing he is just so good and hes always got something cool going on. Certainly one of the worlds best in my opinion
    LAWL

10. Go Johnny Go Go Go Go!!

i saw him at the drummerlive convention at wembley last month. he was jetlagged as hell and was dropping sticks all over the place but he was still amazing. even when he plays the most basic beat, my head just had to start nodding. he's THAT funky.

he also gave quite a touching tribute to his daughter which was a really cool thing to do.
    Tama Drums
    Pearl Snare & Pedals
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vater Sticks

My Kit...

11. Eat,Sleep,Dream,Drums.

Quote Originally Posted by slybond
    a couple things he said/did that i really too interest too:

he got his right foot so good by tightening up his pedal as high as it could go, quite the opposite of a lot of drummers.

hes a left handed player but he learned to play righty by using his left hand on the hats and switch hands to hit the snare. so his right hand was open for ghost notes and easier access to the rest of the kit

anyone else have any comments?
    yes i have his dvd and it's great. i want to see him if comes out my way. did he put his china high behind his back to the right? he uses a Tama IC powerglide and yes he definately tention the springs almost all the way up.
    the IC definately plays better with the regular springs tentioned high. i am trying the heavy springs right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Flying Over Rio
    https://soundcloud.com/rico7
    https://open.spotify.com/track/3lceIGs8j4A4MSZXRYdXFw
    Tama SC Birch/walnut
    Tama DynaSync
    Paiste Cymbals

12. John Bonham, So hot right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohorton
    yes i have his dvd and it's great. i want to see him if comes out my way. did he put his china high behind his back to the right? he uses a Tama IC powerglide and yes he definately tention the springs almost all the way up.
    the IC definately plays better with the regular springs tentioned high. i am trying the heavy springs right now.
    well his china is a signature cymbal he designed named after his daughter Jia. so he puts it up over him in the back like shes looking down on him while hes playing. its on the right because he just throws his arm back to hit it, very neat special effect added in.

ya, his right foot is stunning. picking up some IC's soon myself.
    Sean

Johnbonhamism.