Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. www.muse.mu

Default Poplar vs. Birch

What are the main differences between Poplar and Birch? I am going to buy a drumset, and I can get it in either of these 2 woods, so I am wondering which is better for what sound.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."
    Friedrich Nietzche

| Myspace | Muse | Youtube |

2. 2.0T

I have no info on Poplar, but Birch has a lot of punch, and is high in pitch. You might say it's "Naturally EQ'd." I'd take Birch over Poplar anyday, even if it was only B grade wood.
    Once upon a time I played drums, but then I went to college. 00**
    www.audizine.com
    Zebman - 2006 Audi A4 - November COTM

3. ...?

Birch is used in Sessions series and a few others i think Masters...dunno. Poplar is used in all export series and its also used in the firecracker snares.
    My Drums EXR in Strata White with Black Hardware.

4. www.muse.mu

OK, the poplar set I am referring to is the Export set*. I have heard the firecracker snare and I love its crack, so can I expect the same thing from the poplar in the export shells?

*I didn't say this in the beginning so as not to get biast answers- I still can't say the other drumset though. Later!

"Without music, life would be a mistake."
    Friedrich Nietzche

| Myspace | Muse | Youtube |

5. Slacker Extraordinaire

Tell us what sets you're looking at if you want any decent information. Rule of thumb says birch is better than poplar. ie session > export. However if you're comparing pearl poplar to sonor birch (or another inexpensive birch set) then it's an entire different story.
    Yamaha Oak Customs
    Roland TD-12S
    Dunnett Snare
    Zildjian A custom/K series and Paiste 2oo2 cymbals

See my kit
    See my e-kit
    See my snare

6. 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by Teh Pwnerer
    Birch is used in Sessions series and a few others i think Masters...dunno. Poplar is used in all export series and its also used in the firecracker snares.
    1.) Sessions come in Maple and Birch.
    2.) Masters come in Maple, Birch, and Mahogany.

If you want a great birch set, I recommend you check the Premier Artists series. I want one whenever I get some money.
    Once upon a time I played drums, but then I went to college. 00**
    www.audizine.com
    Zebman - 2006 Audi A4 - November COTM

7. Gone by choice!

birch to me sounds loads better

8. Groovin'?

Poplar is a softer wood with a slightly drier, warmer tone with a little less projection than birch. Poplar is used a lot by drum manufacturers: for exampe, Ludwig and Slingerland used poplar for the thickest middle ply in thier older drums. It's used in the obvious modern Pearls and older Sonors, too. It's not as pretty as birch when looking at the grain in the wood.
    Generally, birch is a more 'modern' choice since it has more or less boiled down to birch or maple on the high end kits, but poplar is a great sounding wood as well that costs a little less, too.
    There is always yestermorrow...
    My Emerald Mists: 8x8 10x8 12x9 13x11 Toms 14x14 16x14 18x16 Floor Toms 18x16 20x16 24x18 Kicks 14x5.5 and 2 14x6.5 Snares
    Also Pearl: 2 14x6.5 Free Floaters (Maple, Brass & 2 Aluminum shells) 10x6 and 12x7 Maple snares, 13x3 Steel Afro Timbale

9. Gone by choice!

^ all good points but if I were looking at two kits of the same price and the only difference was the wood.. I would definately pick birch.

10. lolerz too HxC for u

However if you're comparing pearl poplar to sonor birch (or another inexpensive birch set) then it's an entire different story
    I dont know why people say stuf flike that. Just cause you can get a birch kit for the same price as the Export doesnt mean that the construction is **** or that the wood is way inferior.
    Put this in your sig if you love AAXplosion crashes!!!!!!

My Kit

Support the artists.
    Put this in your signature if you actually buy music

11. Part of the MAPEX MAFIA!

I live in canada. In an igloo. I live in an igloo cuz everyone in canada does. What, you didnt know that? Are you some kind of idiot?

Get birch!
    REP ME WITH 'Return Please' for 125 rep points!!!

I AM SAVING FOR: I dont know haha, suggestions???

MAPEX MAFIA

12. Registered User

I could be wrong, but I'm going to assume from your choice between Poplar or Birch, you comparing an Export to either a Sonor Birch or Tama Superstar...

You have already stated that one of the sets is a Pearl Export. I personally, would take Birch over Poplar anyday. Poplar isnt bad, I just much prefer the projection and tonal qualities of Birch over Poplar.

However, the quality of the drums as a whole is a big factor here as well. That said, an Export rules over most of all the other competition due to its exceptional quality, hardware, and Pearl reliabilty. IMHO, the only other intermediate level drums that can compete against the Exports are the Tama Superstars (birch shells).
    This may be the other kit your referring to, I dont know. In any case, the Superstars rise above the Exports in terms of overall quality. Birch/Basswood shells, sound-bridge hi-tension lugs, diecast hoops, Starcast mounting system (not that great, but better than Export ISS), and high-end Roadpro hardware... all for a price just slightly above what you will pay for an Export.

Even if your not considering the Tama's, I'd highly recommend them. If not, the Exports are leaps above anything else in the price range...
    Bottom line... Tama Superstars > Exports ... Exports > Anything Else ...

Just my 2 cents tho...
    Quote Originally Posted by ttaM View Post
    jamfelt is a way of life. it's its own culture.