Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Smooth μves

I'd love to wear some noise cancelling headphones but I just can't afford a pair and the amount I actually get to drum is prohibitive to getting some as well. I tend to just use some Boots foam earplugs; they do the job.
    Less, by simple definition, cannot be more. Seriously. Check the ****ing dictionary.

www.twitter.com/MAbbottWriting
    www.facebook.com/maarkabbottwriting
    Incarnate, Book 1 of Ageless, due Q2-3 2016!

2. Registered User

In ear monitors don't destroy your hearing, you turning your in ear monitors up too loud destroys your hearing. I've been using in ears exclusively for the last three years (every show, every practice) at least 3 times a week and I have never had any ear fatigue after playing.

A note about the e2's (and other in ears), sometimes the form fitting piece (that actually goes into your ear) does not form fit. I know that the scl3's (and I assume the entire scl line) come with multiple styles. Your best bet should be to try one of those. Also, check the technique you're using to insert them into your ear (arm over head, pull ear up).

One thing I noticed about using too much hearing protection is that it would cause me to play harder and with bad technique just to hear myself (specifically the bass drum). I would feel very tired in my wrists and ankles after practice. I think it's important to note that musician's ear plugs are very useful.

3. Halt! Hammerzeit!

I go to concerts and play gigs with ear plugs in. I love waking up the next day without the ringing. Sorry, but it's just not worth the loss of being able to hear, especially when earplugs are insanely cheap.

4. Registered User

I have real bad tinnitis. After playing in bands for 22yrs, plus countless hours in a practice room, I decided many years ago to help protect my hearing. I went to an audiologist and had moulds made of the inside of my ears. They custom make silicon ear plugs with 25DB filters and work extremely well in any setting. You still hear the natural frequencies of everything, just a whole lot quieter. If your serious about protecting your hearing, then I highly recommend these. You can choose different filters also.

A much cheaper option is buying clear silicon earplugs, normally used for swimmers to keep out water. They come in a pack of 6 or just a pair and easily mould into your canals. There washable, are great for concerts and don't look weird because their clear.

6x8 Masterworks, 8X8, 10X8, 12X9, 14X11, 16X13, 14X14, 16x16, 22X18, 14X6.5 Snare.
    PURPLECRAZE
    CYMBALS: Sabian and Zildjian
    HARDWARE, HEADS, STICKS AND RACK: Drum Workshop, Kickport, Drumart.com, Remo, Aquarian, Vic Firth
    PICTURES: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/album.php?albumid=312

5. Registered User

I am a 20(almost 21!) professional musician, and music student. I spend at minimum of 4 hours a day playing on a kit in a loud environment. After my first year of school I began to notice early signs of Tinnitus and began to take steps to protect from any further hearing damage. I have two pairs of custom ear filters ER15's that are a more shallow canal depth and a pair of ER25's that are a full canal and ear mold. They are both wonderful and I recommend them to everyone, musician or otherwise. If you spend more than an hour a day in a loud environment you are risking permanent hearing loss. Although at $150+ a set I understand they are a little pricey for some. Tell me though, is it worth $150 now to have god hearing 10 or 15 years down the road?

I also use custom molded in ear monitor sleeves. They are like adapters for headphones that block out most outside sound.

The true beauty behind custom ER's is that you can just slide them in an out. There is not dinking around with rolling foam, or waiting til you have a good seal. They just slide right in and feel great. Another big perk is that you lose hardly any attenuation at audible frequencies. That means no more struggling to hear the bass player, or having to watch your band mates fingers or body language to hear them.

Hope this helps!
    -House
    Scuba Blue over Tamo(UPDATED 4/12/10)

Paiste/Zildjian/Sabian/Bosphorus/Pearl/Gretsch/Ludwig/Slingerland Player.

Selling Pearl Steve Ferrone Snare, PM for details.

6. hi.

I use 26dB construction earmuffs? This good? I use regular iPod headphones and it's never too loud. I can hear the drums fine with a good music volume, I hope I'm doing something right.

7. At the copa.....copacabana

Quote Originally Posted by halfshovel View Post
    Hearing loss is both cumulative and caused by age. Your dad probably has some mild hearing loss, and that, combined with the natural loss that simply comes with age, will likely mean at least partial deafness when he's older. I'm 39, and I've been fairly good about wearing hearing protection, but I know I have a tiny bit of loss, especially in my "monitor ear" (left one) from gigging. I know there has also been damage from recording, because those darn cans are so loud with the click track and all.

If I hadn't had my hearing tested, I'd swear I haven't lost any hearing. Alas, I have had it tested, and I have lost a little bit. Hearing loss happens so slowly, we don't really notice it until it gets bad.
    Yeah, I agree, I have some slight hearing loss, mostly at the higher end of the spectrum and a load of tinnitus on top of that - now that's only from about 1.5 years (when I first started playing). Now I always use hearing protection for practising and going to gig.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwdrummer1991 View Post
    And I don't care if you don't like my drumming. I challenge anyone on this forum to a drum-off right now! I have played so long and studied so many different genres of music that I am absolutely proficient with pretty much anything I choose to do.