Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. what?

Use electronic drumkits for practicing, and for live gigs. It's weird, but working
    Gustavito drums
    Trick pedals
    Sabian cymbals
    Gibraltar hardwares

2. (sic)\m/AggOt-TENORS!-\m/HS

wow after reading this..it made me want to go and get myearplugs and clean them(had lots of earwax) and get them ready for tomorrow. I plan to play with my band tomorrow and let met just say this, I DONT want my hearing to go away. I sometimes use earplugs but after reading these topics..i think i'm gonna start using it for EVERYTHING.
    My jamming out! Awesome drum site
    My Pearl ELX Cobalt Fade
    MY Myspace
    Its all about the blood , the sweat , the tears!

3. Registered User

the write-up on westone is great by rsdrummer. i got a set at christmas this year. i now wear them to every rehersal and every gig/show. they are probably the best "music" investment i've made in the past few years. i can hear everything well enough to be very sensitive to subtle dynamic changes amongst the other instruments, as well as my own. for those of you that can't afford the westone price tag, you can get non-custom fit plugs with the exact same filter from Etymotic Research for under $20. here's the info: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

4. Algiz

I recently got ear defenders, jsut for normal practicing, they work great, and you dont have to wait for them to expand either
    Although I'm still gonna use ear plugs for abnd practices and live sutff

5. mmm... mau5

I want to invent a product called "Hearmuffs"

That'd be a hot name.
    Haikus can be fun
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Refrigerator

6. Lord of the Polyownage

Just an addition to it the discussion. I have had an audiologist check my ears and I KNOW I have a serious treble cut in my right ear, I think its from a metal festival where one of my earplugs fell out and it was SOOO LOUD.

Anyways, I used to have a lot of ringing ears when I played guitar all the time. I practiced in my bedroom with a 180W Mesa Boogie rig, cranked. I was a lucky guy to be able to make such volume, but it really smashed up my ears (probably contributing to the untimely loss of hearing LOL). But then I stopped using such volume - guitars hurt your ears worse than drums!

But now, I don't get ringing ears. Ever. I use musician earplugs, the ones you get frmo the audiologist, mine only cut away 10-15dB (I can't remember) and for 99% of the time, that's cutting enough sound to take away the "risk" of hearing loss.

Don't give up if you've got tinnitus. It CAN go away or at least reduce in intensity, but it will take months. You've got to respect your ears, which means don't go into the club without your special earplugs in. Don't hit the snare more than once without your earplugs. Don't hit a cymbal EVER without your earplugs in. Finally, remember that your ears are organic. They get hurt, sure, but they don't break unless under incredible stress. The thing that hurts them is that continual buildup of stress. They don't get hurt after 30 minutes of drumming, they get hurt after you've finished and go to a disco later, or start playing your friend's Marshall stack, or go driving for 4 hours (that's the last thing I'll mention, a car can hurt your ears more over 6 hours of driving than 30 minutes of drumming. That continual buildup of stress is REALLY noticable after a car trip. "Where did my bass hearing go?")
    Lord Xplora, master of the polyownage, 2005.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harris
    Young people don't want to become adults. We just want to be old enough to drive and make life-changing decisions without referring to anyone.

7. One with the Racoon...

Anybody know anything about in ear monitors? That'd be a GREAT topic to cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by trickg
    Isn't it just nuts what we'll spend on our gear to hopefully give us the quintessential sound we hear in our heads for what our kits should sound like?

8. Algiz

Quote Originally Posted by Xplora
    Just an addition to it the discussion. I have had an audiologist check my ears and I KNOW I have a serious treble cut in my right ear, I think its from a metal festival where one of my earplugs fell out and it was SOOO LOUD.

Anyways, I used to have a lot of ringing ears when I played guitar all the time. I practiced in my bedroom with a 180W Mesa Boogie rig, cranked. I was a lucky guy to be able to make such volume, but it really smashed up my ears (probably contributing to the untimely loss of hearing LOL). But then I stopped using such volume - guitars hurt your ears worse than drums!

But now, I don't get ringing ears. Ever. I use musician earplugs, the ones you get frmo the audiologist, mine only cut away 10-15dB (I can't remember) and for 99% of the time, that's cutting enough sound to take away the "risk" of hearing loss.

Don't give up if you've got tinnitus. It CAN go away or at least reduce in intensity, but it will take months. You've got to respect your ears, which means don't go into the club without your special earplugs in. Don't hit the snare more than once without your earplugs. Don't hit a cymbal EVER without your earplugs in. Finally, remember that your ears are organic. They get hurt, sure, but they don't break unless under incredible stress. The thing that hurts them is that continual buildup of stress. They don't get hurt after 30 minutes of drumming, they get hurt after you've finished and go to a disco later, or start playing your friend's Marshall stack, or go driving for 4 hours (that's the last thing I'll mention, a car can hurt your ears more over 6 hours of driving than 30 minutes of drumming. That continual buildup of stress is REALLY noticable after a car trip. "Where did my bass hearing go?")
    Whoa, car trips hurt ears, never knew that, whoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Flame Drums
    Anybody know anything about in ear monitors? That'd be a GREAT topic to cover.
    Yeah, I never really found much on them, although i like the idea of them, unfortunetly they seem to be quite expensive

9. Registered User

i have the Doc's Proplugs, got them when i bought my drum set. the people were really pressuring me to buy the plugs, and i wear them when i listen to loud music and play along on my set. then if i am bashing around rather loud, i wear ear cups that i got from the hardware store. if i have my stereo cranked and im really hitting hard, i wear my plugs and then my cups over them, and i can barely hear much anything with that on.

10. Some Internet Guy

My whole band wears earplugs. We try to do soundchecks without them to avoid blowing people away, though.

11. Algiz

I wear earplugs every time i now. my band all tired it although they mostly find them uncomfortable, although my guitarist will use my isolation headphones if his ears start hurting.

12. My spoon is too big!

I just got my new Etymotic Research Hi-Fi Ear Plugs, and I have to say, they stomp my ol' gun range muffs!

They're so cool, it's really like they advertised, "Like turning the volume down". Amazing.

The ringtones on my phone sound better with the plugs in!
    Oh, they work wonders for drumset.....sounds the same!

|Pearl.Drums|Zildjian.Cymbals|Saluda.Cymbals|Tama.Iron Cobra|Pulse.Hardware|Aquarian.Sticks|Evans.Heads|

Current Drum Funds: Credit! :eek:
    President of the 3A Stick Users Group
    Member of the MTV Sucks Army