Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Algiz

Default Hearing/Hearing Protection

All the following links are on hearing protection.

Ear Protection

What is hearing Protection and what's it all about anyway?
    Can you even damage your ears and What takes away your hearing quickest?
    Hearing Protection with Band Members
    Hearing Protection that doesnt muffle sounds, only quietens them!

Tinnitus

GREAT Essay on Tinnitus, its cause, different forms, what to do if you have it.
    Ringing in Ears, what is it? (Tinnitus)

What to use?

Choice of Ear Protection....
    Roars Choice of Protection!
    What protection to use
    Types of Ear Protection
    Hear-o's

Why protect?

Some mp3s to show why you should protect

Some Ear Protection Articles

Properly Inserting Earplugs

The way to get them properly into the ear canal is put your arm over your head and pull your ear up. There is a ltitle kink at the ear canal that the ear plug cant get past if you dont use this, and pulling the ear up takes out the kink, and the earplug should into the canal much better. I tried this yeasterday and found a noticable inprovement in the amount of cut out sound.

Out of some of the threads posted above, Dom Aversano wrote some stuff that Id particuarly like to point out, especially to tinnitus sufferers:

I'll be totally honest with you. I have tinitus and as has been said before, there isn't a known cure... although there are some "cure's" being tested. If you let your ears get worse you will have to make big sacrifices. Here are my tips.

1) Always wear ear plugs around loud noises and try to keep some with you as much as possible. You never know when you will come across loud noise

2) Try out a bunch of ear plugs and make sure that you have more than one pair.

3) Never use headphones. Sorry those days are over, not even quiet, never. In ear headphones are a stupid and harmful invention.

4) Get pads for your kit, even with ear plugs it's damn loud, so to be on the safe side some pads on there most the time is a good idea.

5) Don't practice/play more than four hours a day.

6) Be careful with drink, your kidneys and hearing are oddly enough linked.

7) learn to deal with the noise by not focusing on it. It may also help to get a water feature (which will give off a white noise) in a place where you like to relax.

If it gets real bad...

Stop playing... if it doesn't get better, give up. It's a sad tale that people don't make a big enough deal about this, but if you damage your ears enough your going to have to give up. The drum kit is an instrument that is pointlessly loud, and by it's very nature damaging to hearing. At some point you'll have to accept that life is bigger than drums.

If you don't want to do that, do everything I said and it will help. Tinitus is a lot more harsh than people think.

WEAR EAR PLUGS PEOPLE
    Last edited by kev; 06-15-2007 at 06:08 PM.

2. 13 year old drummer

so lets talk about wearing ear plugs at concerts. I always wear ear plugs while playing, But I dont think I want to go to a concert with ear plugs. It would look pretty stupid and panzy like. You really dont look cool headbanging with ear phones. My dad is 41 and he has been in a rock band since he was 9. (He just quit it) He has NEVER wore earplugs ever. He jams hard with huge speakers blasting his ears. Hes the drummer which also means cymbals,etc. He has gone to many concerts, Front row right next to them. He is now 41 and he has no hearing loss or anything. But he has trouble with his eyes. Figure that.
    Pics of my Pacific Cx in white onyx

My band, "Mass Distraction"

Support the artists.
    put this in your sig if you actually buy music

3. Author of "Drum Tuning"

What ? I can't hear a thing....

Well, I do it the other way around. I like to practice unprotected and go to concerts with protection.
    Believe me, it is "BASSDRUM", not "BASEDRUM".
    Nils' Website DER TROMMELSTIMMER
    Main Kit

4. swallow the gun

I use a brand that my dad's company uses. As he gives me all I can handle. Will find pictures real quick to show you guys. they work magnificently!

5. Registered User

6. PDF FF Champion 2014

I am around a drumline for 50% of the year, I like to keep my hearing. Some people can go without protection and be fine, but why put yourself at risk? A couple years ago I had been jamming too much on my set, the next day I woke up and was sick, and with a combination of the noise and being sick, I had a ringing in my ears for 2 days. It was horrible! Tinitus is not something you want to get.

You can easily get earplugs that do not show to anybody unless they are looking.

7. I'd hit it.

w i s c o n s i n, where cheese is always a party favorite

i got some earplugs from wal mart that work wonders, enough protection, but i can still hear very clearly. made by Silencio, $6

the only problem is that they are very noticable, they stick out and are blue.
    dont be a POOPFACE!!!!
    My Kit!!!

8. Wookie Nipple Pinchy!

For practice on my drums at home I went out and bought a pair of $5 ear muffs and removed the foam protection on the inside. Perfect amount of noise reduction.

Small white writing
    If you think Chewbacca is hairy, wait till you see my Wookie
    Pearl - Zildjian - Evans - Vic Firth

9. Muff Busters.

hahahaha ear muff's!

what color?

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by weezer_army
    hahahaha ear muff's!

what color?
    probably pink fluffy ones!
    Last edited by Roar!; 10-16-2005 at 01:46 PM. Reason: The twit editied my post. Now IM editing it!!!!

11. Algiz

Oopsie, I went into your post and then said submit to go abck and now it looks like a changed your post

Oopsie and yes .. i agree on the pink fluffy

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by kev
    Oopsie, I went into your post and then said submit to go abck and now it looks like a changed your post
    Fixed.