Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technique

1. Algiz

Last edited by kev; 01-26-2007 at 03:02 PM.

2. Registered User

whers chit chat? i need help on something not drum related. where do i go? huh?

EDIT: my bad i didnt see chit chat...
    Last edited by ULNEVERGETRIDOME; 10-15-2005 at 05:00 PM.
    I dont practice, i just play...

DOUBLE PEDALS ROCK

"The Pearl Forum...if you feel ****ty...we will make you feel ****tier"

3. Algiz

Quote Originally Posted by ULNEVERGETRIDOME
    whers chit chat? i need help on something not drum related. where do i go? huh?

EDIT: my bad i didnt see chit chat...
    Hehe, fun times

4. Algiz

Just updated Technique and theres more sections

5. Registered User

i suppose i can pose my question here:
    what is the correct technique to hit a china?? on the side, where it curves in, personal preference...what??

6. Algiz

First off (i dont know if you know, but ill say anyway) you mount it upside down. I could say main, but the way it is hit the most commonly is at the edge. This is easy to hit, you'll see why when its upside down, the part that slopes down towards you at the very edge of the china. Paiste had a really nice diagram of diffrent places to hit a cymbal to get different effects, but I have no Idea where to find it. One sec, I'll make a small diagram.

7. Algiz

Okay, I cant find the paiste diagram, but I knocked up a quick one here. It just shows you where to hit and roughly the anlge youre looking for

...its a lazy wednesday morning, of couse the diagrams bad...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

8. Registered User

great, thanks...so I hit my china(soon to be chinas) correctly...the only reason why I asked was because I had seen a clip of Bobby Jarzombek on his dvd and it looked like he played it on the part where it bends inwards...which kinda leads me to my next question: what is the proper way to mount a china...and why do famous drummers (i.e.: bobby, joey) have them mounted vertically really high...and how do they get them like that?? do they not have cymbal sleeves and they do it really tightly or what??

9. Algiz

yeah, theres different ways to hit them. Just try not to hit an edge too often or you'll destroy the china. As far as Im aware, these players use the inside of the china, and the vertical look is to make that part of the cymbal more accessable. I'm almost completely certain that is true, someone can correct me if im wrong though

A china is mounted just like any other cymbal, but mounted upside down. They get it that way just with postitioning of the stand, but it seems very logical that it would have to be screwed onto the stand quite tight, although if youre doing this, don't tighten so much that you choke the sound of the china.

Although one thing Id reccomend, is really to experiment. There are common ways of using a china, and mounting it, no hard set rules, but dp whatever you want, discover sounds out of it you havent before, just becareful about cracking it.

Have fun

10. I'm attracted to you

I made some of a mistake of learning drumset in school, are ghost notes sometime called grace notes like in flams?
    I'm like Che Guevara with bling on; I'm complex

11. Registered User

yea, they are...not very common tho
    Pearl. Gibraltar. Paiste. Sabian. Wuhan. Vater. Vic Firth. Aquarian. Evans.

12. Algiz

Drumming in school (i find anyway) always sucks. It took the litle guys in my year A WHOLE YEAR to learn basic rock beat. No wonder, we sat down with the music and left alone, although nowadays i just jam out on the kit, and if im in the clas I'll do some covers with some guitarists and bassists in my class