Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default May trigger my bassdrum, if you know your stuff come in

So I read all 3 pages of my "trigger" search.. Mostly lots of threads by people who don't know what they are and what they do. I am however past that.

I am debating a trigger for my bass drum. Maybe even my side snare. Why? My Axis pedals are great, very light.. I have to put more less effort to play them fast as I did with my iron cobras. They really lack volume however. Just not enough power behind each stroke, even with slower double pedal work the guitars eat me alive. We tried lowering the guitars but then my cymbals and drums overpower to much, and that's not the sound we are looking for. So here are some questions. I know the redshot triggers blow but.

Anyone have an opinion on the roland and pintech triggers? Pros and cons? Suggestions for which I should go for?

Also, I'd like to trigger an auxillary snare so I can use the T808 sample. This isn't a problem correct? Just checking to make sure

I know the Alesis is probably my best bet, but what is a good mid-range brain? All I am interested in is the T808 effect and a nice clicky bass drum sound. So anything that has those 2 and won't break in a few months is good for me. Okay so triggers, check.. brain..check

Amp suggestions? Will one medium size amp do the trick? Or will I need some beastly PA.. I play shows ranging from small clubs to professional gigs, so it has to be able to work for everything. Any amps I should steer away from

So I think all that is left is cables, correct? Any tips, suggestions are welcome. I am still in the process of deciding really. thanks

2. Tasmanian User

Why not look into Axis E-Kit triggers? As far as I know, they're the most reliable way to trigger a double pedal.

3. Registered User

yeah since u have the axix pedals, using e-kits will make it whole lot easier

4. Registered User

how do e-kits work?

5. Now Avatar Free

Quote Originally Posted by Spügg
    how do e-kits work?
    I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I do know they basically have a small 'hammer' that moves down when the pedal is played. It then hits a small pad (attached to the pedal), which is the trigger.
    EDIT-Found a pic:
    http://www.axispercussion.com/images/ekit.jpg

Cheers, Sam.

6. Registered User

haha that looks so weird! It looks it would break though.. can you take those off? I can imagine that breaking while transporting to gigs...

anyone know anything about pintech and roland triggers?

7. Registered User

up

8. Registered User

i use a roland kick trigger in the 2 o"clock position with a td-6v module. I dont remember if it has the t808 sample though. We run the drums through a peavey powered mixer into 2 mains with 15's and 1 18'' sub Works great for small and large venues. I have to tune the head a bit tighter than usual to keep it from double triggering but it works great for us.
    HOW'S MY DRUMMING ?

CALL 1-800-STIK-IT

9. SteveStruss(.com)

As flimsy as the E-KIT sounds/looks, I tell you, Get it. Its so easy, trouble free, out of the way and inexpensive, that you cant pass it up. Esp since you have AXIS. If you get to a song that you dont want triggered, the "hammer" can be lifted up further therefore it doesnt make contact with the trigger, or turned ( i think) so it completly misses it.

If im not mistaken, D.A still uses them. Drop him a PM

Steve

Pearl Reference:Purple Craze
    20x16|8x7|10x8|12x9|14x14F|16x16F|13x6.5
    DW Collectors Exotix
    20x14|12x8|14x14F|14x5
    stevestruss.com

Check out my band!

10. Apple enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by rushofblood2112
    As flimsy as the E-KIT sounds/looks, I tell you, Get it. Its so easy, trouble free, out of the way and inexpensive, that you cant pass it up. Esp since you have AXIS. If you get to a song that you dont want triggered, the "hammer" can be lifted up further therefore it doesnt make contact with the trigger, or turned ( i think) so it completly misses it.

If im not mistaken, D.A still uses them. Drop him a PM

Steve
    Nail to the head.

Go for the E-Kit. I am no trigger guru myself, but I know that if you have the Axis pedal as of now, use the abilities that Axis provides, the E-kit is definatley a way to go for kick triggering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Sanderson
    Killing myself is a way to drink

11. Registered User

okay so I guess the e-kit it is.. now for a brain... anyone know what modules have the t808 that aren't top of the line? thanks for all your help

12. Registered User

Ok, so I don't own E-Kits, but I was just reading recently that E-Kits don't work on double pedals due to the way they connect. *Shrug* Something to look into regardless.

As far as the triggers go... you really have 2 choices. Roland RT-7k's (Which are what I use) or Ddrum triggers (Which are pretty much the staple). I like my Roland triggers but most people agree that the DDrum triggers are better. The Roland triggers are made real nice, heavy duty, easy to adjust but they are not as streamlined at the DDrums. The DDrums are nice and tight to the kicks... I have no idea how easy they are to adjust, but if they are good enough for people like Flo Mounier and Pete Sandoval, then they should be good enough for you.

You don't want these, you want these.

As far as modules go... Until recently I used a Roland TD-8 to trigger my kicks. It has some great out of the box sounds (I used the "meat" kick sound and I drop the tuning a little I think. It also had an 808 sound, but it wasn't the best one in the world. I am sure there are better.

If you have the $$, you could look into getting a DDrum module too. They can be rack mounted unlike the Roland modules. You can upload your own sounds onto it, which is a real nice option. You could find a great beefy kick, and then use a sound editor to add a nice tight click to it... or whatever.

As far as power goes... You're really going to want a decent PA for your kicks. You might be able to get away with a nice bass amp or something, but really you're going to want PA support. I played in a couple of places with small *** PAs and it sounded like crap. If at all possible, you want to make sure that you can play your kicks acoustic if you have to.

I'd suggest a ported resonant head for acoustic playing, with a pillow and possible a ring of eggcrate of the like to muffle your batter side head. This will eliminate a lot of excess vibrations which will cause false triggers, but still allow you to play without your triggers if it's called for.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post em and I will answer the best I can.

Edit: About the Ekits... here is what they look like installed:

He is a double pedal... I heard rumors about the E-Kits working on them. As I said... it's something to look into.

Last edited by Darkslide632; 10-04-2005 at 10:07 PM.
    -Nick-
    My Heel Toe Video Thread
    Hatred Alive
    Fastest Feet at Ozzfest - 2004
    "I reject this ****ing Race - I despise this ***ing place..."