Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
  1. my wife

i love that exotix III, and just beautiful As all over the place, octobons to woah about, and that red sparkle pearl...mmmmmmmmmmmm yeah baby, yea!!!! REPPPP
    tama starclassic.
    axis longboards.
    zildjian cymbals.
    my kits w/ specs updated 5/15/06
    WHITE KIT ARMY
    My Blog
    Twitter

2. Registered User

Default DW Exotic Spider Pine

This was one of several DW Exotic Kits that I bought and flipped on e:bay.

This is the SECOND Most resonant kit I have owned. I did a post on the whole DW Timbre matching concept one on this Forum. The toms on this set , when tuned exactly to the note stamped on the shell, would ring for more than 15 seconds. Note the mini-lugs. I think these contribute to the resonance, none of the other DW's I owned were quite as good.

I never liked the finish on this kit. But some did.... I made a lot of money flipping this one.

DW Maple drums have a very warm sound. They are easy to tune (which in my experience relates to the quality of the workmanship on the bearing edges first, and the head quality, second, and the hardware quality a close third). They are very mellow sounding, great for close mike recording. The "white ring" heads have a lot to do with that mellow sound. They sound harsher with Ambassadors. Not much bite to the sound, I like Pearl MMX and MRX better from that perspective, I like the BRX/Master's Studio high toms the best from that perspective.

Here's and interesting point. I have never been able to get a DW bass drum to sound GREAT. They always sound good, with a nice round tone, but you can't get a real punch OR a real nice subsonic low end (unless of coarse you add a woofer) out of a DW Bass drum as far as I can tell. Tommy Lee probably samples something to get that kick sound is my guess. I am sure all the dudes who paid the big bucks for the DW's are going to flame me on that one.

And, in summary, if you can't get the bass drum to sound great, what good are they?

In my opinion, DW drums look great and have great panache but they aren't worth the premium you pay for them.

Let the flaming begin.

Mofo
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by mofo_knows; 09-23-2005 at 07:44 PM.
    I collect drums. I play them, too.

Search "Mofo on Drums" on YouTube to check out some of my videos

3. Joints Are Healthy

Amazing kits, all of them. Thanks for sharing them and keep more coming if you have any? Ithink your rep will be increasing by the minute
    I Use: Pearl Amber Mist Elx < Zildjian < Remo < Vic Firth
    Quote Originally Posted by Demfer
    Somtimes my turds even begin to resemble members. I see the forum in all of life aspects.

4. Registered User

Default Another DW Exotic

This one is "curly maple" with a fade from natural to green. One of the nicest kits from an aesthetic standpoint, pure maple tone, again, a relatively weak bass drum.

Bought it from a guy who was going through a divorce and had to sell it. Got a great price.

If looks alone made a drum set great, I would have kept this one. Sold it for ~$3400 for it on e:bay. Don't really miss it.

You can see the Exotix III snare and the Hand Hammered Black Beauty a bit better in the drummer's side shot.

Mofo
    Last edited by mofo_knows; 09-23-2005 at 06:29 PM.

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Security_Protected
    Amazing kits, all of them. Thanks for sharing them and keep more coming if you have any? Ithink your rep will be increasing by the minute

This is one of the best threads I have read in a long while. I'm learning quite a bit about the quality and sound offered by the different manufacturers -- especially since I don't often get the chance to see or hear these kits in person.

I appreciate your taking the time to type & post pics -- rep for you.

6. Now Avatar Free

In a word: Wow!
    You have (or have had) some amazing kits there sir!

Cheers, Sam.

7. More IS More

man every kit in this thread is a 5 star kit

If you have a 18x16 kick (Export series badge NOT ELX) in color blue mist (#273)
    PM ME

I'm also looking for pc-50s, and CH-80s
    the biggest blue mist export EVER

8. Registered User

Default Yamaha Power Tour

This was my third drum set. Played this set at gigs about 4 times a week, for about 4 years. In the band "The Fine Line" in Boston. Bought it for about $1000 in 1988 at Jack's Drum Shop in Boston. I paid cash, I remember counting the stack of bills, $10's and $5's earned at the clubs. Made the octobans from Aluminum. Sold it to pay for my first Pearl MMX kit in the mid 1990s. I put more miles and gigging hours on this set than all my others put together.

Drums were birch, I believe. At that time, I was always using pinstripes. They had a nice fat sound in the recordings I listen to from that period.

I have to tell you, heads make more of a difference on drums than anything else. Pinstripes cure a lot of evils and can make a $500 drum set sound good. Just wonderfully "benign". But, they can also mask a great sounding set's superior tonal qualities.

Wrap finish. Interestingly, the only black set I have owned. Black sure looks good when it's clean but it's sure hard to keep that way.

The 8" tom was a "stage custom" and matched up pretty well although the wood color on that was bleached out compared to the others.

Mofo

Note the way my basement used to look before I built the studio. Talk about ambient noise control problems, poured concrete will give you a headache in more ways than one. The only way to mic drums in this room was just put a few condensors 10 feet a way a let them ring. Shades of "When the Levee Breaks"
    Last edited by mofo_knows; 09-23-2005 at 06:45 PM.

9. my life needs editing

I remember PM'ing you about making a thread like this.
    Awesome to finally see all your kits in the same place. I've always been impressed with your collection, really nice stuff in there.

"It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing."

My kit.

10. Registered User

Default Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute

Yamaha makes the most musical Maple drum on the planet. Let the flaming begin....

This was a ******** great sounding set. I shouldn't have sold it. I bought it on e:bay and I couldn't find 8" and 16" toms to match it, so I flipped it.

These are very well rounded drums. No weak drum in the bunch. Remember I said the DW's were #2 all time in resonance. here is #1. EXTREMELY resonant. No airholes in these drums, I think that contributed to the way they "sung" to me. Punchy bass drum - very tight.

Mofo
    Last edited by mofo_knows; 09-23-2005 at 07:45 PM.

11. X VAULT OF THE ADEPTS

dude thats all insane stuff! I wish i can find octobans in thoes depths!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProBeat-Jazz
    Demfer IS a source. He is never wrong. Anyone who thinks Demfer is a person is a complete fool. If you were to look at him, you would explode. :eek: :eek:

12. Registered User

WOAH THOSE KITS ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! rep