Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 66 123451151 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default The Mofo_Knows Drumset Anthology

Hello Folks. I have been inspired to put all of the kits I have ever owned onto this website in one post. Many of you may know from past posts, I buy and sell drums, keeping the truly great ones. I have amassed quite a collection. In some cases, I will give detailed comments on things like sound, value, quality, etc. It should be fun.

I am going to start with the Tama Exotix III, which is one of my all time favorites. That set, I would never sell. I will also tell you about "the ones that got away" - sets I sold that I wished in hindsight, I hadn't.

I am hoping that this can serve as a reference for people trying to choose between various brands, wood types, etc. I try to tell it like I hear it and see it, nobody is paying me to promote their drums, and until someone does, you are going to get my objective opinion. I do happen to be a big Pearl fan, and I think they make awesome drums, but you will see I have the ability to differentiate as well.

What a person likes in a drum can be a very subjective, so you may not always agree with me. But I hope you have fun reading this post, anyway.

Mofo

P.S. One last note - many of the sets are pictured on the same drum rack, same cymbal set up, etc. I will describe that in some detail in my first post, so you can get the "lay of the land" so to speak.
    I collect drums. I play them, too.

Search "Mofo on Drums" on YouTube to check out some of my videos

2. Registered User

Default Tama Exotix III

This is my Tama Exotix III in my home recording studio. I believe it’s #43/100. I still love the Midnight Storm finish over all the other Exotix colors, and I can't say enough about the great Bubinga sound of the Exotix series. I have owned over 40 drum sets and this set has the best bass drum and the best low toms of any set I have ever owned.

This is the 5th set I ever owned. I will note other numbers, as I remember them.....

I am not using the Exotix III snare that came with the set at this moment. I found that snare likes to be tuned open and ambient and I need a more aggressive crack for the music I am playing right now. To solve that problem, I use a 6.5” Tama G Maple Snare in CBK which has all the crack you would ever need. I also have a hand hammered Black Beauty with tube lugs on my left. I have a Gong Bass in CBK on my far right, and a 10” and 12" Tama Tymp Tom on my far left. The long Octobans pictured were very hard to find - these are the longer version Tama made in the early 80's – I found the longer ones were the only way to get the Stewart Copeland early Police sound. My shorter 2 are the longest ones currently available. This makes a big difference, if you tune them so the heads are just above slack, you can get the Stewart sound exactly. I have a very large Gibraltar rack (6 vertical legs and 6 horizontal legs) with a Tama no-leg rack mounted snare basket. There are tiers, the gong bass stand, etc. The double bass and Hi-Hat pedals are Iron Cobra, and there is a DW remote Hi-Hat as well.

I have various new and vintage cymbals (some as old as 40 years) that are all Zildjian except the 20" HHX Sabian China type on my high left. Hi-hats are 14” Quick beat bottom/New beat top on right and 14” matched Mastersound sound edge on the left.

All heads on the Exotix set are the Evans G2 that came with the drums. I use a reverse power dot on the G Maple snare. Gong Bass, I use a resonant bass head or a tympani head – otherwise the sound is too muddy for me.

This set is now in storage. My two year old has taken to the drums, and he will swing anything resembling a stick (i.e. baseball bats, etc.) at my drums and his aim is not too good.

So, this one is in SKB cases in the back room now, until junior learns to hit the heads and not the shells.

Mofo
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mofo_knows; 09-24-2005 at 08:56 AM.

3. Registered User

nice. I LOVE IT. those octagons or whatever are DEEEEP
    Pearl Session Series #118 Pacific Blue

4. Wells, Paiste, Pearl, Axis

:shocked:
    rep, man, you need rep. that's a pretty damned amazing kit.
    (\_/)
    (
    O.o)
    (><)

If you've ever pushed on a door that said pull, copy this into your signature.

Pics from Newfoundland

5. Registered User

where in connecticut would i be able to find this beutiful drum set?

6. "lalala"...

sweet
    Mapex Pro M special 15th anniversary kit (in Jade Fade)
    10x8
    12x9
    14x11 toms
    22x18 bass drum
    14x5.5 snare drum

Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

My Drumset

7. quality over quantity!

thats sooo beautiful!
    Mapex - Pro Mark - Zildjian - Sabian - Pearl - Evans

Mapex Saturn in Emerald Stardust

click here for pictures of my new MAPEX SATURNS, new pics with china!!!

my Oriental China"trash"

MAPEX
    ..A
    .....F
    .......I
    .........A

8. Registered User

Default The Red Sparkle Master's Studio Monster

Here is my current studio set.

This was my masterpiece..... Until you see the "Blue Sparkle Monster" I am working on right now and I will post in this very thread.

These are Pearl Master's Studio 4 ply BIRCH. Yes, Birch. Pearl made 4 ply birch in the 1990's, and I painstakingly pulled together this kit over the last 6 months by scouring the world for these.

Those of you out there that love birch have got to hear these drums. I decided about 6 months ago, having tried and owned maple (4 ply, 6 ply, 10 ply), mahogany, even bubinga, that overall birch drums sound the best in my studio. Let the flaming begin. This is a personal, subjective thing, and I openly admit that others might like another drum wood. For me, the natural EQ of birch is just perfect to my ear. I record them with the parametric dead flat and I don't have to do a thing in post production.

I currently own a Master's Studio in midnight fade with black hardware and I own a DW timeless timber birch double bass kit (I posted both of them on the forum at some point). Both of those are 6 ply. This kit, being 4 ply, resonates more and just sounds better to my ears.

They have reinforcement rings like the Maple MMX series.

I am sure, Pearl stopped offering them because they sound so good, Pearl was having some market positioning problems with selling a birch kit that sounded better than their higher end, more expensive MRX and MMX maple kits. Just my guess......

Building this kit was a labor of love. These drums were NOT expensive, they were just hard to find.

Here you see the following Master's Studio 4 ply birch drums:

8X8
    10X9
    12X9
    14X12
    15X13
    16X13
    22 X 16 bass

They all have came with ISS mounts and stainless steel super hoops. I put optimounts on all the toms, and mastercast hoops on the 8, 10, and 12" toms to get a bit more crack on rim shots. I experimented with mastercast on the bigger toms and found they choked the drum's resonance more than they were worth. So the 14, 15, and 16 have the original stainless super hoops.

Some other tidbits on this rig. The entire set was recovered in holographic red sparkle film. I did it myself. I secured the film through a source who may or may not prefer to remain nameless. The benefit of holographic sparkle is brilliant fiery reflections. I followed directions on the forum, how to do this. it was worth the effort I would say, but took a lot of time. I removed all badges, lugs, vent holes, etc. and polished and replaced them.

There is a color matched snare drum (a Pearl 10 ply Birch Masters Limited Edition) and a 24" Master's studio 4 ply birch Bass Drum that are not shown. You will see, two Tama Tymp toms (back when those were made of birch and had the floating heads) that are also covered in red sparkle. I put those out in front because I ran out of room behind the set. Also, I have installed a May mic (AKG D112) inside the bass drum.

The 22" bass pictured is the punchiest bass drum I have ever heard, anywhere. The sound is not the best low end (the Tama Exotix III gets that award) although it is still excellent. S till, I have rounded out the bottom end of the bass drum sound in the studio by adding a DW woofer with a second AKG D112 inside.

You will also note, I built a custom 6" diameter by 7" depth tom. That was made from a Pearl quarter tom, with a second head installed on the bottom. I was not able to match the lugs perfectly, nor the sound, but I always wanted a 6" tom and now I have one.

All toms have Evans 2ply/Remo Emperor 2 ply coated heads and thin black evans resonant heads on the bottoms. I tried all different types of head combinations, these sound the best on these drums to my ear.

The coolest thing about this kit, is the cost. I got most of the drums on e:bay for a song. When you are committed to recover, you don't care so much about cosmetics. I think all the red sparkle drums together cost me less than $1200.

This was a great value, killer sound, and killer looks if I do sayso myself

Also note, the studio is finally finished with soundproofing. I did that all myself - that would be a good post in itself.

Mofo
    Attached Images Attached Images    

9. More IS More

I think I just creamed my pants

If you have a 18x16 kick (Export series badge NOT ELX) in color blue mist (#273)
    PM ME

I'm also looking for pc-50s, and CH-80s
    the biggest blue mist export EVER

10. SteveStruss(.com)

Im sure your typeing right now...but

WOAH!

Pearl Reference:Purple Craze
    20x16|8x7|10x8|12x9|14x14F|16x16F|13x6.5
    DW Collectors Exotix
    20x14|12x8|14x14F|14x5
    stevestruss.com

Check out my band!

11. yeah, that guy...

Wow, amazing kits mate!!! loving the exotic!! you deserve some rep!
    Last edited by math; 12-20-2011 at 10:55 AM.

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (><)

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    You call it "silly", I call it "idiocy". Oh well- you win!

12. ?

thanks for the review.

i was wondering, how many sets of cymbals do you have?