Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 16566263646566
  1. im unofficial

MOFO! Clear your pm's!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demfer
    Go on a date with a pretty looking girl, take her back to your place and before you know it! ITS OSCAR MAYER TIME!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demfer
    You think your footwork is fast DA? Dude put on a big white robe with a big pointy hood and take a walk through the south bronx at night. You will be hitting 300000 BPM in no time.

2. Registered User

Default Tama Starclassic Bubinga in UVS Sparkle with black Nickel hardware

PM's all clear...

Have to post a picture because that's how I roll...

This is my latest acquisition. The only gong bass made in this color, I am told. I have a 20" bass drum and 13" tom on order.

One of the coolest finish colors ever, IMHO.

Mofo
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    I collect drums. I play them, too.

Search "Mofo on Drums" on YouTube to check out some of my videos

3. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by mofo_knows View Post
    PM's all clear...

Have to post a picture because that's how I roll...

This is my latest acquisition. The only gong bass made in this color, I am told. I have a 20" bass drum and 13" tom on order.

One of the coolest finish colors ever, IMHO.

Mofo
    Nice kit with Hyper-Drive rack toms! What size is the kick drum in the photo? Did you order a matching size?
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

4. 3pc. FTW!!!

is that one of those straight conical style congas? did rci make you that? that is awesome
    Absolute Past

everything will not be made right

Absolute Future

5. Registered User

Default More on the UVS

The current bass drum is a 22. I ordered a 20". I like the sound of bubinga 20's - tons of punch but still plenty of bottom. I put a double pedal on the 22 and if I want the same BD sound i play double pedal but if I want two different sounds (a la Ginger Baker) I play the single pedals on the two drums. You can see my pedal set up here...

Mofo
    Attached Images Attached Images  

6. Drumming Since 1943

So if you want the sound of the 22” you have to play... with your left foot? Am I seeing that correctly?
    Way Too Much Crap

7. Registered User

Yes you got that correct..... I can play left foot bass and then I close the high hat with lever clutch. Might get a right foot remote hi hat.....

But more typical is double bass with two different sounds. that's how Ginger did it. Sounds good on triplets or 5 count drops - you get a continuously descending tone.

And as for the question on conical conga - yes that is and it really sounds AMAZING by far the most amazing drum in the set.

RCI did that, custom. Very special.

Mofo
    Last edited by mofo_knows; 01-26-2018 at 08:57 AM.

8. Registered User

My friend Ronn Dunnett made me an 8" tom to match my set.

I have an 18" Floor Tom and a second bass drum on order.

He also sent me a stainless steel snare - I already have the titanium 6/5 X14 to match this set.

Since that is my all time favorite set and has become the "mofo signature sound" I am getting every size for every situation....

Mofo
    As many of the other forum users have commented amazing kits and thank you very much for this content.

Question for you, what was the 2nd titanium kick you ordered and what was the motivation for getting a 2nd kick, different size? In your YouTube videos I only notice a single kick so was wondering if you have plans for a double bass setup.

BTW did you change the bass drum gull wing spurs to be a telescoping kick drum leg?
    Last edited by AppleSeed; 09-09-2019 at 12:21 AM.

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AppleSeed View Post
    As many of the other forum users have commented amazing kits and thank you very much for this content.

Question for you, what was the 2nd titanium kick you ordered and what was the motivation for getting a 2nd kick, different size? In your YouTube videos I only notice a single kick so was wondering if you have plans for a double bass setup.

BTW did you change the bass drum gull wing spurs to be a telescoping kick drum leg?
    Thanks for the compliments. I love collecting and talking drums.

The motivation for the second kick is to have a range of sound for recording. At the time I ordered the Kick I had the 22 and wanted a 24. I am normally a fan of 20's or 22's with most shell materials. 24's are generally boomier with more low end, and 20's are generally punchier. On the Titanium seems like the 22 is plenty punchy but a bit thin on low end so looking for more boom. If that makes any sense.

For example on a bubinga or mahogany bass drum - I'd take the 20" if i could choose any 1 because that shell material inherently has plenty of low end.

BTW it's easy to engineer in low end when recording, using EQ. I have found it's much harder to get punch - it's a much more "complex" sound. you can't always get it by twisting EQ knobs. So it's best to have it there, to start.

For Boom you just use a low pass filter with a notch in the 50-80hz and you are there. No other sounds are competing down in that range (except bass guitar) so it's easy to sonically separate.
    Ironically, I have since also acquired a Dunnett Stainless Steel Kit - on that set the 22 is boomy and I'd go to a 20. I have a 24" Dunnett Stainless shell that came with the Ludwig Classic set (Dunnett made the shells for some period for Ludwig) and that is a huge drum but very hard to get a well defined punch from it without a lot of EQ.

10. Registered User

Thanks for your reply, I've also started following you on IG.

Does your current Titanium kick have pearl bass drum spurs? I thought it looked different from the normal gull wing spurs.

If you had to choose between a 22 and a 20 inch titanium kick which one would you get and why (and what depth would you get, 14" deep)? I'm asking because I recently got some titanium shells from Ronn and am thinking of getting another kick in a 22" or 20". There aren't too many people around that have experience with his titanium drums so your feedback is much appreciated.

Here's a photo of Ronn drilling a hole in one of the drums right before I picked them up.
    Name:  00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190820193546105_COVER.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  85.5 KB

Thanks for the compliments. I love collecting and talking drums.

The motivation for the second kick is to have a range of sound for recording. At the time I ordered the Kick I had the 22 and wanted a 24. I am normally a fan of 20's or 22's with most shell materials. 24's are generally boomier with more low end, and 20's are generally punchier. On the Titanium seems like the 22 is plenty punchy but a bit thin on low end so looking for more boom. If that makes any sense.

For example on a bubinga or mahogany bass drum - I'd take the 20" if i could choose any 1 because that shell material inherently has plenty of low end.

BTW it's easy to engineer in low end when recording, using EQ. I have found it's much harder to get punch - it's a much more "complex" sound. you can't always get it by twisting EQ knobs. So it's best to have it there, to start.

For Boom you just use a low pass filter with a notch in the 50-80hz and you are there. No other sounds are competing down in that range (except bass guitar) so it's easy to sonically separate.
    Ironically, I have since also acquired a Dunnett Stainless Steel Kit - on that set the 22 is boomy and I'd go to a 20. I have a 24" Dunnett Stainless shell that came with the Ludwig Classic set (Dunnett made the shells for some period for Ludwig) and that is a huge drum but very hard to get a well defined punch from it without a lot of EQ.
    Last edited by AppleSeed; 10-05-2019 at 05:56 AM.

11. Registered User

I think that gong bass used to be my friends. He had a Bubinga kit just like yours in the same color a number of years back.