Wood fiberglass head choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood fiberglass head choices

Hey guys, what are you running for heads on your kits? I currently have clear vintage emperers over clear ambassadors and I am not liking the sound I am getting from the 13 inch rack tom. Considering switching to coated ambassadors over clear ambassadors.

I gotta be honest. I've been using the stock heads on mine. I think they are remo pinstripes. They are great for live situations. If I was going to swap them it might be for Evans G2 clears.
    sigpic
    DESPERATELY SEEKING A MHX BASS DRUM WITH A BB-3 TOM MOUNT IN WINE RED

Comment

Originally posted by Big King View Post
      I gotta be honest. I've been using the stock heads on mine. I think they are remo pinstripes. They are great for live situations. If I was going to swap them it might be for Evans G2 clears.
      Ok, thanks for the input

Comment

Not that I know anything about these drums but the Aquarian modern vintage heads are worth looking into.... They really sound awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by FL Drummer View Post
          Not that I know anything about these drums but the Aquarian modern vintage heads are worth looking into.... They really sound awesome.
          I may go back to using coated ambassadors, I put some on my Gretsch Walnut/Maple kit over clear ambassadors and the toms came alive

Comment

Originally posted by CUZNRED View Post
            I may go back to using coated ambassadors, I put some on my Gretsch Walnut/Maple kit over clear ambassadors and the toms came alive
            Sure its the heads?

Comment

Originally posted by sticks4drums View Post
              Sure its the heads?
              yes

Comment

Why not try a Coated Vintage Emp on the batter? That will help warm up the sound (assuming that’s what you’re after).
                DW | PAISTE | Aquarian | Regal Tip | Roland
                DW Performance Series in Black Diamond Pearl
                |14 x 22| |14 x 16| |9 x 13| |6.5 x 14 DW Solid Aluminum snare|

Comment

Originally posted by paradiddlediddle666 View Post
                  Why not try a Coated Vintage Emp on the batter? That will help warm up the sound (assuming that’s what you’re after).
                  Thanks, I may go with the coated regular emps

Comment

Originally posted by CUZNRED View Post
                    Thanks, I may go with the coated regular emps
                    Also a good choice.
                    DW | PAISTE | Aquarian | Regal Tip | Roland
                    DW Performance Series in Black Diamond Pearl
                    |14 x 22| |14 x 16| |9 x 13| |6.5 x 14 DW Solid Aluminum snare|

Comment

Quick question for you wood/fiberglass kit owners. How would you rate the shell or drum weight? I guess I am wondering if the fiberglass layer adds a lot of weight to the drums.

Heavy to me would be a Reference shell.

Thanks, Rob
                      Reference
                      Paiste
                      yamaha club custom

Comment

Originally posted by robstafaria View Post
                        Quick question for you wood/fiberglass kit owners. How would you rate the shell or drum weight? I guess I am wondering if the fiberglass layer adds a lot of weight to the drums.
                        I don't find them much different than the Session and Masters kits I've owned as far as weight. I'm using coated Powerstroke 3 batters on everything these days (hate Moongel) with clear Ambo resos. The stock reso on the kick works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by robstafaria View Post

Heavy to me would be a Reference shell.

Thanks, Rob
                          if anything I think the optimounts are what adds the weight. I am pondering putting Ludwig atlas mounts on mine

Comment

Thanks guys!
                            Reference
                            Paiste
                            yamaha club custom

Comment

I'm having a similar issue with my new W/F kit - the stock 2-ply pinstripes really deaden the sound. I'm using the drums mostly for straight ahead jazz, and what to get the toms to sing and really resonate. I had a W/F kit in the 70's and liked the tone. I would like a coated head (ambassador weight) but want to stay clear of REMO. Has any one tried Evans UV1 heads on these shells? Or, some other vendor like Aquarian?

Comment

Working...
                              X