My first acoustic kit in 20 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first acoustic kit in 20 years

As a teenager my first "real" drum kit was a Pearl Export and it was my baby. As time went on I ended up living in apartments where I couldn't keep them so I eventually sold them. I always thought about playing again but it wasn't an option. A couple of years ago I started looking into electronic kits and I even managed to put together a DIY acoustic to electronic kit and was able to play again. I'm far from a pro but it has been a hobby that I've wanted to get back into for many years. Now as an adult things are falling into place and my wife and I are buying a farm and moving in the next few months. So of course I started thinking about how I could have a real kit again and decided that my gift to myself would be a nice new Pearl kit. I had been looking around and decided on the Vision series since the price range was right where I needed to be. On a trip to my local Guitar Center I found a Vision birch 4 piece on clearance so it went home with me. I figured I could add an extra floor tom or maybe another mounted tom in time. The problem now is that I can't seem to find any info or pictures anywhere that match the finish I got! I'm hoping that someone here might recognize the finish and help me out.

I'm so excited to be getting back to something that I loved so much as a kid and I knew right off that I would have to go with Pearl. Now I need to start picking out some cymbals and really get this moving. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as I go along!
    Attached Files

Very nice; welcome back to the world of acoustic kits! Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what your finish is. Most pearl drums can be special ordered at an authorized pearl dealer, though the wait can be long for finishes that aren't stocked.
    Mapex Saturn V in deep water ash burl: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/a...p?albumid=1218

Comment

Hi,

Very nice. I'm glad you decided to get back into drumming again.

MM
      2021 Masterworks / Matte Black Mist

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 6.5x13 SD, 10x12 FSD

2022 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / Bright Champagne Halo

16x16 KD (verticle), 5x10 SD, 5x8 TT, 5x12 TT

Comment

Welcome, nice looking drums.

Comment

that looks like walnut lacquer to me. You should be able to special order add ons for it. Looks great!!!
          sigpic
          Pearl Masters Premium BRP UPDATED
          Masters Studio MBX Make Over-Emerald Mist
          The Masters Army

Comment

Nice finish!
            Astradica on Spotify

Starclassic W/B

Comment

I'll tell you what, I looked through the catalogs and couldn't find that color in any of the vision birch sections, the closest thing I could see was #806 sangria that according to the catalog was only available on the maple not the birch. You may have a store exclusive, I had a 2006 export exr I bought at guitar center new and the catalog says that finish only came with chrome hardware when I had black.
              My Vision VBX is Concord Fade, there are many like it but this one is mine.

14" x 5" natural maple free floater

Comment

Here you go. Starts on post #63. Walnut lacquer
                http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...walnut+lacquer
                sigpic
                Pearl Masters Premium BRP UPDATED
                Masters Studio MBX Make Over-Emerald Mist
                The Masters Army

Comment

Ah I see it now looks like it was a specialty set, that's why it doesn't show up in the catalogs. Good looking out.
                  My Vision VBX is Concord Fade, there are many like it but this one is mine.

14" x 5" natural maple free floater

Comment

Yes very nice, enjoy!

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
                    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Originally posted by Mike Foreman
                    Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

Comment

That finish is absolutely stunning. Nice buy!
                      Pearl Export in Satin Black
                      6|8|10|10x7|12x9|13x10|16x16|16x16|18x16|22x16
                      14x6.5 Snare
                      14x5 Ludwig Acrolyte
                      Zildjian/Sabian/Wuhan
                      LP/Treeworks

Comment

Thanks so much for all of the compliments and feedback! Every time I had been in the store that kit just kept catching my eye so when it went on clearance I couldn't resist. Best $450 I've spent in awhile. The hardest part now is that I still have a few months until we actually move to the new house where I can get my music room set up lol. I guess that just gives me extra time to find all of the right cymbals and other add ons that I want! I definitely have to do some studying up on drum heads since it's been so long but I'm wicked excited about learning all that I can.

Comment

Virgin bass!!!!

Comment

I think the only way you could get an extra rack tom and floor tom is through special order. Since it is a (limited?) edition bop kit i dont think Pearl would make any extra add ons for a bop kit...After all it is meant to be a small compact kit.

Oh and your story on how your getting back into drumming is almost exactly like my dads, except.as far as i know he hasnt bought an acoustic kit yet or a farm. He is still jamming on his electric five piece though.
                            Doing the best with what i've got.

Comment

Would it still be considered a bop kit even though it has a 22 inch bass drum? Not that the Guitar Center guys here pay that much attention but I know it didn't say Bop Kit anywhere on the sign that was with it. I'm not even sure that I definitely want to expand from the 4 piece as I'm really liking the look of it but I just wanted to know what the options are in case I change my mind down the road. Ever since I brought it home I've been thinking about what to buy next to complete it haha. My wife is already asking how many cymbals I really need since she keeps seeing me on Ebay every night. I did learn not to browse auctions while very sleepy as I now have bids in on two different sets of hi-hats lol.

I ordered a Meinl Classics Custom Dark ride which should be delivered next week and now I'm starting to look for a couple of crashes and splash cymbals to finish.

Comment

Working...
                              X