Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pearl Vision Birch vs. Tama Silverstars Birch

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pearl Vision Birch vs. Tama Silverstars Birch

    Anybody care to compare the Pearl Vision Birch series to the Tama Silverstars Birch kits! Cause I am also looking at the Silsverstars vs. the Pearl Vision Birch Kits. I am somewhat convinced that Pearl has a little better Hardware over Tama's Hardware! 1st reason is simple, Pearl is always updating their Hardware where Tama is not! What does that tell you?
    I would like to know what you Pearl Guys and Gals think about the P-930 Demonator Pedal, I am quite interested in that one!

    My Ultimate Kit I want to Buy: 18 x 22 Bass , 8 x 10 tom, 9 x 12 tom 5 or 51/2 x 14 preferably steel snare ( the sound of wood snare doesn't cut it for my taste buds), and a tama 14 x 16 or Pearl 16 x 16 Floor tom, and i might even add a 14 x 11 tom or similar tom for a 6 piece kit.

  • #2
    Only thing I can say is play both and see what you like. For pearl Visions it is recommended to upgrade to opti mounts due to their non changing of iss mounts which attach directly to the hoop. Many people experience warping hoops due to this. They did change this with the new exports which are opti lock but visions have yet to see a change. The silverstars don't have this problem as they use the star cast mounting system. I believe that's what is called. They have a Tom slider so you can adjust the toms distance from you which is pretty innovative. Tama and pearl have the best hardware with Yamaha right behind. So it's up to you. If you like the sound of the visions and don't mind spending 30-50 bucks each to get opti mounts then get them. But if you like silverstars get them.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have a VBL and am a little biased, but agree with the above comment concerning ISS vs. Opti-Mounts. I think it is worth the money to get Opti's (I have them).

      Be sure you are comparing apples to apples. The SilverStar is 100% birch, and only the VBL is 100% Birch. The VB and VBA are Birch with popular plies. I think all things being equal, the SilverStar is less money. I still prefer the VBL and love mine.

      I will say we had a recent SilverStar sale (not sure how long it was in stock) and the floor tom has to be sent back because the bottom bearing edge wasn't true (totally flat). That probably is pretty uncommon, though.
      Blatant Pearl Fanboi

      GoingoBoingo

      Church Drummer's Army

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by HiFiBri View Post
        I have a VBL and am a little biased, but agree with the above comment concerning ISS vs. Opti-Mounts. I think it is worth the money to get Opti's (I have them).

        Be sure you are comparing apples to apples. The SilverStar is 100% birch, and only the VBL is 100% Birch. The VB and VBA are Birch with popular plies. I think all things being equal, the SilverStar is less money. I still prefer the VBL and love mine.

        I will say we had a recent SilverStar sale (not sure how long it was in stock) and the floor tom has to be sent back because the bottom bearing edge wasn't true (totally flat). That probably is pretty uncommon, though.
        Originally posted by eacast07 View Post
        Only thing I can say is play both and see what you like. For pearl Visions it is recommended to upgrade to opti mounts due to their non changing of iss mounts which attach directly to the hoop. Many people experience warping hoops due to this. They did change this with the new exports which are opti lock but visions have yet to see a change. The silverstars don't have this problem as they use the star cast mounting system. I believe that's what is called. They have a Tom slider so you can adjust the toms distance from you which is pretty innovative. Tama and pearl have the best hardware with Yamaha right behind. So it's up to you. If you like the sound of the visions and don't mind spending 30-50 bucks each to get opti mounts then get them. But if you like silverstars get them.


        Thanks to both of you for mentioning the Opti Mount, which I was all ready considering. Sure it is a little more expensive, but that darn sure beats having expensive repairs down the road!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by HiFiBri View Post
          I have a VBL and am a little biased, but agree with the above comment concerning ISS vs. Opti-Mounts. I think it is worth the money to get Opti's (I have them).

          Be sure you are comparing apples to apples. The SilverStar is 100% birch, and only the VBL is 100% Birch. The VB and VBA are Birch with popular plies. I think all things being equal, the SilverStar is less money. I still prefer the VBL and love mine.
          I lean the same way.

          Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
          8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

          Originally posted by Mike Foreman
          Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

          Comment


          • #6
            You can get the optimounts for $30 each. You can then sell the new unused ISS mounts on eBay for at least $15 each. That means it will only cost you $15 or so to upgrade each tom.
            Mapex Saturn: 8 , 10 , 12, 14, 16, 22 B 14 & 13 S
            Mapex Saturn V: 10, 12, 16, 22 B
            Drumcraft Series 8 Maple: 8, 10, 12, 14, 18, 20, B, & 14, 13, 12, & 10 S
            Drumcraft Series 7 Birch: 8, 10, 12, 14,16, (2) 22 B, & 14 S
            Yamaha Stage Custom: 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 22 B

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
              I lean the same way.
              Did you get a warped Hoop, too? What is it, to much strain from the iss mount on the Hoop? will a 2.3mm Hoop help any?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by korch View Post
                You can get the optimounts for $30 each. You can then sell the new unused ISS mounts on eBay for at least $15 each. That means it will only cost you $15 or so to upgrade each tom.
                Good point, I upgraded standard Opti's to the Aluminum ones and selling the standard's made the bottom line much better.

                Originally posted by Drums Lover View Post
                Did you get a warped Hoop, too? What is it, to much strain from the iss mount on the Hoop? will a 2.3mm Hoop help any?
                I haven't had ISS on toms, only a timbale.

                Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
                8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

                Originally posted by Mike Foreman
                Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Im a Vision guy all the way. I upgraded to Opti's because of a security issue, not sound or warping rims. Once i put them on my 8" was audibly more musical than with the I.S.S. on it. Pearl has a lifetime warranty on the shells, uses S.S.T. tech to assemble the shells and despite the 'price' i think are very high grade drums.
                  VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
                  Kick Sub Mod
                  How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)


                  sigpic

                  dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yippee! Santa came to my house early (actually, it was UPS....) My Optimounts have arrived and were installed this evening on my 10" and 12" toms. (Already installed on my 14" a few months ago.) Sweet!

                    I agree with the comments above. Tama builds great drums and durable hardware, but I choose Pearl. I have a first generation Vision kit and play it with my band almost every week. I have played Pearl for about 14 years and my Vision kit has many features of the more expensive Pearl lines. Their tone and presence fit my music and playing style perfectly. I would not hesitate to use them in the studio. I chose a wrapped finish (for durability,) and transport it in heavy-duty soft cases.....

                    I do not use Pearl pedals, so cannot offer an opinion about the Demonator line.....but I'm sure someone will address that.

                    My advice: Go play them both and buy what fits you and your style of music.

                    Best of luck!
                    oldstroke in CA

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      thanks

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I play a first year birch visions kit with a demonator double pedal on the kick. I absolutely love both! The all birch visions shells are an amazing value as they sound fantastic! The 22" kick brings the house down, the power and tone of that bass drum blows me away. At my college percussion studio the two good sets we had around were another guys maple reference set and my visions and the percussion professor as well as the jazz directors actually preferred my drums over his! I've had my visions since 2007 with the ISS mounts and my rims have not warped one bit despite being played nearly every day. The demonator pedal is another amazing value. It has great feel, plenty of adjustability and solid durability. It held up to my grueling summer gig schedule with no noticeable wear or tear. For a professional look and sound without the price tag both the visions and the demonator pedal are top notch products from pearl!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X