Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brand new set of Pearl maple Vision drums

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by scooterdavis View Post
    I'm a pretty decent tuner by ear, but I use a tunebot. It helps you tune your toms to specific intervals, something very few people can do by ear. Tunebot's tuning guide and Hz suggestions have made my drums SING. Also, how the heck could a tuning aid lead to you "tuning your drums to satisfy what the app wants?" Last time I checked, my tunebot wasn't self aware.
    I was thinking in terms of the "presets" that iDrumTech has for certain drum sets, and tuning your drums to match those preset values rather than trying to find the best sounding tunings by ear.

    I can't say with any certainty what the merits of a TuneBot are since I have never used one, and the iDrumTech app I have is probably no where near as nice a TuneBot. Maybe I should get one and learn how to use it to help me tune my drums. It is something to think more about.

    You are obviously able to use yours as a valuable tool that you bring into play tuning your drums.

    I got a message on my iPhone a few minutes ago saying that iDrumTech is no longer available. I think there is a law suit going on or maybe it was just concluded and they had to pull the app from the market.
    "Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by 1Duffy1 View Post

      I was thinking in terms of the "presets" that iDrumTech has for certain drum sets, and tuning your drums to match those preset values rather than trying to find the best sounding tunings by ear.

      I can't say with any certainty what the merits of a TuneBot are since I have never used one, and the iDrumTech app I have is probably no where near as nice a TuneBot. Maybe I should get one and learn how to use it to help me tune my drums. It is something to think more about.

      You are obviously able to use yours as a valuable tool that you bring into play tuning your drums.

      I got a message on my iPhone a few minutes ago saying that iDrumTech is no longer available. I think there is a law suit going on or maybe it was just concluded and they had to pull the app from the market.
      What I heard is that tunebot (overtone labs) is suing idrumtech I believe for copyright infringement. What tunebot should do is create their own app to supplement the tunebot. Then people who don't want to spend $100 on a tunebot could buy the app as a 'lite' version.
      ----------------------------------------------
      Pearl SMX Marine Blue Fade (outdoor pictures)
      Pearl Limited Edition Burl Mahogany Snare
      Vintage 60s Ludwig snare restoration
      Sabian cymbals and Vic Firth sticks

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by livingstone View Post
        What I heard is that tunebot (overtone labs) is suing idrumtech I believe for copyright infringement. What tunebot should do is create their own app to supplement the tunebot. Then people who don't want to spend $100 on a tunebot could buy the app as a 'lite' version.
        That sounds like a **** good plan.
        Mapex Saturn V in deep water ash burl: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/a...p?albumid=1218

        Comment


        • #34
          @1Duffy1: Earlier in this thread you made mention of playing along to some recordings of Al Kooper and Mike Bloomfield. The drummer for the session in the late sixties was Eddie Hoh. I don't remember the song you named, but it's been a long time and my memory ain't what it used to be. You also mentioned the band Traffic.....much of their drumming was Jim Capaldi. I play in a cover band here in Northern California, and although we don't cover any songs by Kooper-Bloomfield-Stills or Traffic, I do get to play along to some fine old tunes! I use my Vision kit for rehearsal or performance on average every week. I think I'm a few years older than you and I tune my drums by ear in thirds intervals (three toms,) but I would be interested in Tunebot. Whether I'm rehearsing or performing, I believe in hearing protection. IEM's are the way to go for me....I've had enough of the 15" wedge blaring in my face. :-) For rehearsal, my band uses a nice tool called Jam Hub. I prefer Evans heads and I'm currently using EC2's over EC1's for the style of music I play. I have used coated heads in the past, but I find the "punch" of the clear heads suits the style of music better. I think your red sparkle Visions are beautiful and you got a real deal on them. Enjoy!
          oldstroke in CA

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by oldstroke227 View Post
            @1Duffy1: Earlier in this thread you made mention of playing along to some recordings of Al Kooper and Mike Bloomfield. The drummer for the session in the late sixties was Eddie Hoh. I don't remember the song you named, but it's been a long time and my memory ain't what it used to be. You also mentioned the band Traffic.....much of their drumming was Jim Capaldi. I play in a cover band here in Northern California, and although we don't cover any songs by Kooper-Bloomfield-Stills or Traffic, I do get to play along to some fine old tunes! I use my Vision kit for rehearsal or performance on average every week. I think I'm a few years older than you and I tune my drums by ear in thirds intervals (three toms,) but I would be interested in Tunebot. Whether I'm rehearsing or performing, I believe in hearing protection. IEM's are the way to go for me....I've had enough of the 15" wedge blaring in my face. :-) For rehearsal, my band uses a nice tool called Jam Hub. I prefer Evans heads and I'm currently using EC2's over EC1's for the style of music I play. I have used coated heads in the past, but I find the "punch" of the clear heads suits the style of music better. I think your red sparkle Visions are beautiful and you got a real deal on them. Enjoy!

            Yeah Oldstroke, I listen to "The Life Adventures of Al Kooper and Mike Bloomfield", recorded about '68. Some of the songs I mentioned were, "Dear Mr. Fantasy", and "Feelin' Groovy" a rocked up version of the Simon and Garfunkel song. I'm also a Steve Winwood fan, from Traffic.

            I'm 64 years old, probably not much younger than you. I like these new drums. The pinstripes with the Remo-rings work out well. I'm going to try some Evans heads next.

            I just ordered a PRS SE "Santana" guitar that should get here today. I'm looking forward to that. It is supposed to be a well made guitar and very nice looking too. My fiancée is doing some work on my drum room but it is set back up again.

            I don't suppose some ear plugs would hurt anything. I wish I had a band to jam with around here. I'm thinking of joining the American Legion - they have a jam day every Wednesday. I might just be able to get in but I'd rather be a member, even though I don't drink.
            "Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

            Comment


            • #36
              Aha! We're fairly close in age (I'll be 64 next month.) I'm a huge Steve Winwood fan (although I must confess I really enjoy his later solo work...) I'll be headed to a blues harmonica concert this week to see John Mayall...haven't seen him since I was about eighteen I think.... Yes, I realize I'm very fortunate to have not just one, but two local bands I get to play with. One is an all-original trio---I do not play a kit, but play cajon and auxiliary percussion. I've got a guitar-friend in the Bay Area who is very happy with his PRS custom. I'll bet you'll like yours too!
              oldstroke in CA

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by oldstroke227 View Post
                Aha! We're fairly close in age (I'll be 64 next month.) I'm a huge Steve Winwood fan (although I must confess I really enjoy his later solo work...) I'll be headed to a blues harmonica concert this week to see John Mayall...haven't seen him since I was about eighteen I think.... Yes, I realize I'm very fortunate to have not just one, but two local bands I get to play with. One is an all-original trio---I do not play a kit, but play cajon and auxiliary percussion. I've got a guitar-friend in the Bay Area who is very happy with his PRS custom. I'll bet you'll like yours too!
                I suspected we were around the same age.

                I like Winwood's recent material a lot too. I enjoyed watching some of the video's and DVD's where he is playing the old songs with Clapton, such as on the "Crossroads" DVD's and some other video of recent vintage that I watched. Those two together on strats is an awesome sight. They are usually backed up by some super awesome drummer as well.

                On that video they made as a benefit at the Madison Square Garden for Hurricane Sandy victims, Clapton came on with a trio. That drummer was really good and that is one of the best recent performances I have seen Clapton play. I think when a bunch of those great guitar players get together in the same place at the same time that a sort of competition and sharing goes on and it brings out the best in them. That show had some awesome guitar players. Try to watch that video if you get a chance. Great musicians with their heart into it. I must say, however, that I wasn't much impressed with "The Who" because their whole light show, etc., seemed more about promoting them than about the hurricane victims plight.
                "Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

                Comment

                Working...
                X